scooter batteries

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

scooter batteries

Post by fnerg »

So I just took a scooter workshop, and now the scooter crack has taken hold. I'm thinking of buying a scooter, but it seems like, for most scooters, you'll be spending around $1300 every two years or so on a new battery. Amortized (?), put away $50/month into a savings/scuba fund, and I guess it would work out, but is that how most of you deal with it?

On a similar note, is there any reason I shouldn't just think about a Gavin to save money? They seem more fiddly maintenance-wise, and the short Gavin is 10lbs heavier than the Cuda 650, but other than that?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: scooter batteries

Post by CaptnJack »

Batteries need to be stored and used correctly based on the chemistry. If so, they last much more than 2 years. This is definitely a case where the larger more expensive battery lasts way longer because you aren't doing deep 90% discharges on it on every dive.

A short gavin is in a completely different league than a cuda 650, seriously they can't compare at all.
The gavin is way slower, heavier, and has a bunch of steel parts in the shaft seal which love to corrode if 1/2 a drop of salt water gets in there. Its also got magnets which love to break loose and if you run it flat out for an hour+ the stock brush board will melt.

Gavins are cheap tho, for a reason. On the plus side, you get to learn how to fiddle with it. And parts & batteries other than the motor are cheap.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i have the same battery for my dive X now for 4 years... it still works great.. its lasted this long because i take care of it ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

fnerg wrote:So I just took a scooter workshop, and now the scooter crack has taken hold. I'm thinking of buying a scooter, but it seems like, for most scooters, you'll be spending around $1300 every two years or so on a new battery. Amortized (?), put away $50/month into a savings/scuba fund, and I guess it would work out, but is that how most of you deal with it?

On a similar note, is there any reason I shouldn't just think about a Gavin to save money? They seem more fiddly maintenance-wise, and the short Gavin is 10lbs heavier than the Cuda 650, but other than that?
A well maintained Gavin is till a viable choice . DIY skills are nice :) I have seen SLA batteries last 5 years with no problems, maybe longer, but replaced to prevent hassle.

Jerry
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You can make SLA batteries last even longer, with a good 3 stage smart charger left attached to them. (VDC electronics Battery Minder). I have them on my motorcycles, farm equipment, riding lawn mowers, battery pack sprayer, etc.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

If you want more power, burn time, and reliability, get a 650 or 400. They're light weight and the factory is around the corner. I've had my 650 for 4 years and still have the original battery. I did a battery test last week and it's got 75% original capacity and I use my scooter every 2 weeks or so. You can't beat the fact that the best scooter manufacturer on the market is in our area.