Scooter crack

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Scooter crack

Post by Jeremy »

Captn' - out of curiosity....

Have you had any breakdowns or maintainance issues with your Genesis? How often do you use it?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

No problems at all. I have about 45 or 50 dives on it. Including a week of cave diving where I only had to recharge once. 1200 Whr is a huge battery and the motor itself is way more efficient than some of the competing scooters so 1200 Whr is like 7-8 hrs of trigger time. Its also definitely faster than a Cuda400, I have not raced a Cuda650 or Magnus.

The hardest thing is actually leaving the batteries within the storage voltage range. Lion batteries do not like to be left fully charged. So you need to charge it before a dive, then actually do the dive (cancelled dives are a pain) then check the post dive voltage and only recharge to get the voltage into the storage range (29.5-32V). If the dive is cancelled I just put the electronic key on it and let the slight discharge of the electronics remove some of the juice for a day or 2. I'm careful about trying to store the batteries properly, I don't wanna think about the price to replace them. Without the key on the batteries won't self discharge barely at all.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

As painful as it is for me to say, you will waste a Magnus in a race. But then again, my nuggets can't handle long distances in third gear. So maybe a moot point.

FWIW, my buddy also has a 1200 and recently had an issue with it not firing up.

He spoke with Jon Nellia and apparently the batteries have some sort of protection switch that can pop He had him pull the prop and wave it over the batteries for the magnet to reset the switch.... Or something along those lines.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote: FWIW, my buddy also has a 1200 and recently had an issue with it not firing up.

He spoke with Jon Nellia and apparently the batteries have some sort of protection switch that can pop He had him pull the prop and wave it over the batteries for the magnet to reset the switch.... Or something along those lines.
Yes there's something odd about the early generation battery firmware. Supposedly exacerbated by sitting long periods of time. Its a before the dive problem of it not registering the batteries are installed, not a during the dive shut down issue as far as I can tell. I haven't tracked his recall because it hasn't affected me even though I bought mine used. Apparently its been solved in current production models.

Jon has been very responsive to any and all of my questions even though he knows I'm the second owner of mine.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.