Got some holes up in my gearz

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Got some holes up in my gearz

Post by Norris »

I have a used drysuit that has some holes beginning to wear in the pockets. Replacing the pockets would be a tad bit spendy so I would rather patch them. Does anyone have any experience with this that can throw me some ideas? I mean there are patches out there, aquaseal, and what nots, but hoping that someone has actually done this and can give me some advice.

Thoughts?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
selkie
Submariner

Re: Got some holes up in my gearz

Post by selkie »

Duct Tape :smt064
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Can you post a pic of the hole? Location is somewhat important for the proper fix.

You can get cordura in small pieces from Seattle fabrics, just sew on the patch, or glue it on with contact cement.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Shoe Goo works really well for small holes too. The stuff is indestructible and flexible. Plus it comes in cool tech black :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Marine Goop seems to work better as a contact adhesive, and E6000 holds better for patching other bonds that have started to separate. Both can be found at the local hardware & home improvement stores, thus avoiding the Scuba tax.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ImageImageImage
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Apply a fabric (probably cordura or something similar) from the inside using the adhesive of your choice. E-6000 would work well.

I'm pretty close to Edmonds and open later than Seattle Fabrics, let me know if you need some scraps and I'll have some set out for you.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Norris wrote:ImageImageImage
Probably not a good idea to hide your Scoobie Snacks in your drysuit pockets. :rjack:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dude what the heck did you run into ? Underwater Rebar
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

That was no boating accident!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

If those were my pockets, I'd stitch what I could, especially at the top of each tear, then as Ross suggested apply a patch from the inside using contact adhesive, then add a second one to the outside. Finish the outside one with a fine bead of E6000. Tap plastics carries it in tech black.

And seriously, WTF did you do to those pockets?!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Must have been one pissed-off Cabezon!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

It was weird I was just diving along minding my own business when I heard what could only be the sound of a full grown orca. A moment later this seal swims by me looking pretty damn scared and it was at that time I pondered my gear decisions. All this black gear, I look like a damn seal too!!!!
The first bump came as a serious surprise when the full grown orca nudged me. He obviously thought that I was the seal he had been pursuing. After my nudge he swam around to give me a second look. This when the first holes happened. He grabbed me by the leg, swam me to the surface (I hummed just like PADI open water taught me, so my lungs didn't explode) and he tossed me about 50 feet. I heard the tear in my pocket as he bit down on my reel and all I could think was 'that's going to be an expensive fix'. The reel is fine folks. So I hit the water pretty hard and was able to keep my reg in my mouth. If I only would have kept the yellow snorkel and fins I bought when I took OW, sigh.
Well it wasn't long before he came back for a second bite. This is when I got the second hole. He grabbed hold of my leg and started taking me down. Hmm I have 1500 psi of 32%. I wonder if he realizes that I have a MOD to think about. It was then that I started to worry.
As I am being pulled down I hear yet ANOTHER underwater animal. This time I think it is a humpback whale. As I am being pulled down the sound of the whale gets closer and closer. I feel a huge NUDGE when the Orca releases me and I see that whale has arrived and he is not alone. Riding atop the whale is a sasquatch carrying what looks to be a bell from the ship wreck "Triumph" The orca takes one more chance at me only to get clobbered by sasquatch at the surface. You could hear the <<<pwang>>> of the bell being used as a bludgeoning device. The orca decided it was enough and swam off. I was a little shooken up but was able to catch a photo of my hero as he left.

Anyone interested in trading some black gear for anything you have that is neon and bright?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Norris wrote:It was weird I was just diving along minding my own business when I heard what could only be the sound of a full grown orca. A moment later this seal swims by me looking pretty damn scared and it was at that time I pondered my gear decisions. All this black gear, I look like a damn seal too!!!!
The first bump came as a serious surprise when the full grown orca nudged me. He obviously thought that I was the seal he had been pursuing. After my nudge he swam around to give me a second look. This when the first holes happened. He grabbed me by the leg, swam me to the surface (I hummed just like PADI open water taught me, so my lungs didn't explode) and he tossed me about 50 feet. I heard the tear in my pocket as he bit down on my reel and all I could think was 'that's going to be an expensive fix'. The reel is fine folks. So I hit the water pretty hard and was able to keep my reg in my mouth. If I only would have kept the yellow snorkel and fins I bought when I took OW, sigh.
Well it wasn't long before he came back for a second bite. This is when I got the second hole. He grabbed hold of my leg and started taking me down. Hmm I have 1500 psi of 32%. I wonder if he realizes that I have a MOD to think about. It was then that I started to worry.
As I am being pulled down I hear yet ANOTHER underwater animal. This time I think it is a humpback whale. As I am being pulled down the sound of the whale gets closer and closer. I feel a huge NUDGE when the Orca releases me and I see that whale has arrived and he is not alone. Riding atop the whale is a sasquatch carrying what looks to be a bell from the ship wreck "Triumph" The orca takes one more chance at me only to get clobbered by sasquatch at the surface. You could hear the <<<pwang>>> of the bell being used as a bludgeoning device. The orca decided it was enough and swam off. I was a little shooken up but was able to catch a photo of my hero as he left.

Anyone interested in trading some black gear for anything you have that is neon and bright?
I nominate this for best post ever.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

One of the better ones.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks for the kind words, however; I do have to admit that I made the picture years ago for another post. Thought it needed to come out again...LOL
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:If those were my pockets, I'd stitch what I could, especially at the top of each tear, then as Ross suggested apply a patch from the inside using contact adhesive, then add a second one to the outside. Finish the outside one with a fine bead of E6000. Tap plastics carries it in tech black.

And seriously, WTF did you do to those pockets?!
Oh and thanks Jake that seems like a good plan there. Also thanks Ross!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

:joshsmith: YAH SASQUATCH - YAH SASQUATCH - YAH SASQUATCH :joshsmith:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
deepbludvr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by deepbludvr »

My "only" question is was the orca smiling up until the sasquatch encounter?