Dive light better suited for the PNW area

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Dive light better suited for the PNW area

Post by <2>diver »

Hey quick question, I am looking at buying a new dive light that is better suited for diving in the PNW. I have never dove in an area that you would use a light in during the day and the Princeton Tech light I have used in previous night dives is not even close to bright enough to be of use during the day. Only stipulation is I am not looking to spend crazy money on one yet. Let me know what you guys have seen. I am not a photographer, just a dude who likes to see..... during a day dive :nutty:
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Re: Dive light better suited for the PNW area

Post by Rockfish »

I guess I will be the first one to say that you can't go wrong with a light from Forum member Dusty. He makes great lights. Do a search for Dusty's lights.

He'll probably see this and respond himself.

Mike
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

+1 for a dusty light. Do yourself a favor and save up for a good can light now. you'll thank yourself later. you can't beat dusty's light for the cost.

if you still want something cheaper, look into the DRIS 1000 lumen lights. That was my first torch purchase and i still use it as my backup now. It's a great, affordable option. I think Hog makes a decent competitor to it now as well, but I'm not too sure on price comparison.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty lights are good for around here if you want a can light. Another option, even less expensive, is this tiny little handheld light from Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS) ... http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -3586.html

Add another $22 for the Goodman handle and you've got a real sweet setup. Cheng got one a few months ago and won't even use her can light anymore. Travels real nice too.

The only downside to these is that the battery burn time is only about 70 minutes. Best to change batteries (3 AA) after every dive. But that only takes about 30 seconds ... and rechargeables make it very cost-effective.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

Awesome! Thanks guys! This is the perfect size too! Heading to the Maldives in a month so this little guy will travel nicely for sure.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Another + for the DRIS 1k Shorty. For its price, cant be beat. A step up is the Light For Me Backup Tec XML. Tighter beam, I use it for my backup, as the 1k is abit too big/heavy for me as a backup.

If Dusty gets a 5 hour unit going, I'll probably get one as a backup in case my Light Monkey HID goes down.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

That Shorty that Greatful Diver posted is a GREAT light. The wife uses it at a back up for around here, and used it as her primary down in Cozumel. Lots of light, but like he stated, you will need to change the battery's after each dive
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

Just bought the DRIS with the goodman handle. 1000 lumens was too hard to pass by! Thanks for all the great suggestions and I will see you out there!
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

I've been using the DRIS 1K for a couple years here in Seattle as a primary and it's been a great light, even out-shining some of the Solas out there. With the 3 C batteries, it seems good 5-10 dives, and I do have a video head for the light. I also have a 1K shorty that's just as bright, but doesn't last as long. I can tell that my buddies Dusty is much better for cutting through the junk, and I've finally upgraded to a Dusty, but keeping the 1K for backup.
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

The DRIS 1k finally arrived, this thing is much heavier than I expected. For those that have used it, is the weight an issue/annoying while diving? I also bought the goodman handle for it but the light seems a little long.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Didnt you get the shorty?

<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

I ordered the only one I saw. It's 8" long. Wasn't aware of a shorty.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You wanted the shorty...

<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

I knew that this one seemed a little but long.... Rather impractical it seems. Thanks for the info.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I have the regular DRIS 8" light I use as my back-up. It's a great light and you can't go wrong with it. It'll give you much more burn time than the shorty and you'll be able to get 3 dives out of fresh batteries. My regular dive buddy uses one as his primary with the soft goodman handle and it works great.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -3380.html
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That is the problem with that type of light. You are limited to either short burn times or long handles. Usable when hand held but not so good for goodman mounting. That is why they are used mainly for backups.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.