How much are you paying for viz and hydro?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

How much are you paying for viz and hydro?

Post by spatman »

I just got a couple quotes from local shops that I think are pretty expensive. For those of you who use shops for this service, what's the going rate near you?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: How much are you paying for viz and hydro?

Post by Jeff Pack »

while my default smart ass answer to most questions is get a rebreather, in this case I'll say get a compressor :)

Ok, get a breather too.

Although I thought viz was 10-15$ and 25$ for hydro, but its been awhile so I'm not sure on those numbers.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

I have heard as high as $20 for vis and up to $35 for hydro. Seems like $45 for hydro and vis is average out on the peninsula. I have heard as low as $35 from places as well. If you own 7 or more cylinders it is more economical just to take the PSI course and get certified to visual your own.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

VIP is usually $15, another $20 if you need an eddy current (AL6351 tanks only)

In the Puget Sound area it's typically $40 for a dive shop to do the hydro or $30 if you take them to Fire King yourself.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:while my default smart ass answer to most questions is get a rebreather, in this case I'll say get a compressor :)

Ok, get a breather too.
Even if I got both, I'd still need tanks inspected and hydro'd. :smt064
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

straitscuba wrote:I have heard as high as $20 for vis and up to $35 for hydro. Seems like $45 for hydro and vis is average out on the peninsula. I have heard as low as $35 from places as well. If you own 7 or more cylinders it is more economical just to take the PSI course and get certified to visual your own.
The range here seems to be $15-25 for viz. the one shop I asked about hydro was an additional $35 on top of their $20 viz.

So yeah, I'm going to look at talking that psi class. I currently have 12 tanks that need viz. :eek:
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

spatman wrote:
straitscuba wrote:I have heard as high as $20 for vis and up to $35 for hydro. Seems like $45 for hydro and vis is average out on the peninsula. I have heard as low as $35 from places as well. If you own 7 or more cylinders it is more economical just to take the PSI course and get certified to visual your own.
The range here seems to be $15-25 for viz. the one shop I asked about hydro was an additional $35 on top of their $20 viz.

So yeah, I'm going to look at talking that psi class. I currently have 12 tanks that need viz. :eek:
You'd need to have your tanks sent out for hydro. Where you save money is in servicing.

I took my class (not through PSI) and have been VIPing and servicing my own tanks for the last few years. The class has definitely paid for itself and, with over 20 tanks in my stable, it makes things much more convenient.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They may not accept your PSI cert. Many shops won't since you are now undercutting their cash cow.

Between OR and adjacent WA there are ample places to get a hydro but...
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PH ... d07898RCRD

1) $35 is close to the going rate here in Seattle, which ranges from $28 to $35 depending on the day, number of tanks, their mood etc.
2) If they don't know how to "roundout" your galvanized (particularly HP) tanks they will fail and you'll be screwed. The DOT numbers are required to be XXXXXXX out and the tank is scrap, there are no second chances, no do-overs.

If I were you I'd try a different shop or find out where they are sending their hydros (many don't do it in house anyway). They are probably sent out for $30 each. The other option is to bargain down for a bulk rate on the VIPs. $20 is really quite high. Far higher markup than the hydros.

Whatever you do don't consider the rates you hear about in FL. They pay like $8 a hydro down there. Getting under $25 around here would be unheard of.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

spatman wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:while my default smart ass answer to most questions is get a rebreather, in this case I'll say get a compressor :)

Ok, get a breather too.
Even if I got both, I'd still need tanks inspected and hydro'd. :smt064
No, cuz then you get a booster, another compressor to drive the booster, a few O2 bottles, He bottle,and you've got your own fill station. I only hydro if its something I need filled elsewhere.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

and hit the lottery to pay for it all :)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Be aware that many shops won't accept VIP stickers unless they have a pre printed shop logo. Tacoma Scuba won't accept any tank with a generic sticker and a lot of shops follow this rule so if you are going to take the course plan on getting labels printed up. There is no rule requiring any of this but there is no rule requiring them to fill your tanks either so most shops practice CYA.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Where most shops gouge you on steel tanks is tumbling. Also make sure that the shop you choose includes valve cleaning and rebuild.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeff Pack wrote:.. I only hydro if its something I need filled elsewhere.
FYI - legally you are not allowed to transport those tanks in your car if they are out of hydro or get on a ferry with them.

You are definitely playing lottery alright.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:If I were you I'd try a different shop or find out where they are sending their hydros (many don't do it in house anyway).
I know exactly where they send the tanks for hydro, and how much the mark it up.

http://www.industrialsource.com

As for other shops not honoring a generic sticker, I'm hoping ORdiver gets his shit together soon and gets his compressor up and running....
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

kdupreez wrote:
FYI - legally you are not allowed to transport those tanks in your car if they are out of hydro or get on a ferry with them.

Show me where that applies to non commercial transport, or non commercial use. I can't find it. DOTs authority is only for commercial use or commercial transport of tanks.

Also for ferry wa dot says pressurized tanks must be capped.nothing about hydro.

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeff Pack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:

Show me where that applies to non commercial transport, or non commercial use. I can't find it. DOTs authority is only for commercial use or commercial transport of tanks.

Also for ferry wa dot says pressurized tanks must be capped.nothing about hydro.
I am not trying to make you hydro your tanks, its your bussiness, you can do whatever you want. I just think your cavalier attitude towards safety measures when dealing with something that has probably the same amount of stored energy as a stick of dynamite, is mind boggling..

I'd love to see you explain to the authorities and insurance one day that there was no reason for you to hydro tanks..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Just got a tank back from having its first VIP.
VIP: $15.00
Tumble (to keep it Nitrox-ready): $25.00
Air Fill: $7.00
Total with tax: $51.47
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

johndo88 wrote:Just got a tank back from having its first VIP.
Not dinging your shop but this is a good demo of what I said earlier. $25.00 to tumble a tank that probably didn't need it. If you are filling at a good fill station your tank should not need a tumble and if it does I would question the shops compressor maintenance. If you use multiple shops then you are on your own. Most shops include an air fill with the vip so the extra $7 should be added to the VIP cost making it $22.00
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Dusty2 wrote:
johndo88 wrote:Just got a tank back from having its first VIP.
Not dinging your shop but this is a good demo of what I said earlier. $25.00 to tumble a tank that probably didn't need it. If you are filling at a good fill station your tank should not need a tumble and if it does I would question the shops compressor maintenance. If you use multiple shops then you are on your own. Most shops include an air fill with the vip so the extra $7 should be added to the VIP cost making it $22.00
And a good example of why I took the class, acquired the tools and do VIPs myself. I have 18 steel and 5 aluminum tanks doing the math it would cost me about $1k a year to keep my tanks current.

Unless you're partial pressure blending (and some would debate even then it's not a problem) a small amount of rust in your tank isn't going to cause an issue. Many shops will see a bit of flash rust and tell you that you need to tumble it, which is pure BS.

Compressor maintenance is usually not the cause for rust in a tank - If water is making it to the tank from the compressor it means that your entire filter stack is screwed and you're probably getting oil in the tank as well.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Dusty2 wrote:Be aware that many shops won't accept VIP stickers unless they have a pre printed shop logo. Tacoma Scuba won't accept any tank with a generic sticker and a lot of shops follow this rule so if you are going to take the course plan on getting labels printed up. There is no rule requiring any of this but there is no rule requiring them to fill your tanks either so most shops practice CYA.
To me this says " We have such a strong customer base we don't need new business". So I move along accordingly.
If the inspection is in question. Credentials are pretty easy to verify through the certifying agency.
IMHO most people will be far more critical & thorough with their own gear.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:

Jeff is right, private transport is not commercial use. Hence the reason we don't have to placard our cars, secure cylinders per federal regulations, nor get commercial driver's licenses either. Commercial vehicle enforcement (a division of State Patrol responsible for these statutes) is not going to be citing you for transporting tanks out of hydro.
BillZ wrote: Compressor maintenance is usually not the cause for rust in a tank - If water is making it to the tank from the compressor it means that your entire filter stack is screwed and you're probably getting oil in the tank as well.
If the tanks were on a boat in SoCal this is exactly where the rust is coming from! Their compressors (and stacks and whips) are terrible.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote: Hence the reason we don't have to placard our cars, secure cylinders per federal regulations, nor get commercial driver's licenses either.
Technically a CDL AND hazmat endorsement. I used to have my hazmat but let it expire. Will never let loose my CDL.

ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Recent VIP + Eddy on Al 80 Nitrox $20 + $3 O-ring, no tumble in Seattle.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

taking tanks directly to Fire king will cost you around $20 per tank if you take 10 or more tanks and negotiate a deal with them. but then you still have to wash/dry and vis the tank yourself or have someone else do it. thats been about $10-15 per tank. if it needs tumbling, thats gonna cost you another $15.

so $45 - $50 per tank for hydro, tumble. wash/dry and viz is about the going rate or $35 just for hydro + wash/dry and viz.

amortize hydro over 5 years and it costs you $0.33 per month. For my tank stable it works out to about $7 per month in hydro costs..
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

kdupreez wrote:taking tanks directly to Fire king will cost you around $20 per tank if you take 10 or more tanks and negotiate a deal with them.
:notworthy: You were able to negotiate with Fire King? I tried that once and all I got was a lousy Christmas card.