How long should hoses last?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
johnclark
Aquaphile

How long should hoses last?

Post by johnclark »

Both high pressure and low pressure?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: How long should hoses last?

Post by LCF »

Mine tend to last years.

I believe I recently replaced my long hose on my singles rig. If my memory is correct, that hose was 8 years old.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I've had same experience as Lynne, although I'm a bit embarassed to post an actual number ;)

Let's just say 'ages' for my recreational kit.

I'll change hoses on CCR & tech kit more frequently. Probably the hose I change most frequently is my drysuit hose.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

The high pressure hose on my singles rig blew while setting up my kit. On 7/14 it will be exactly 3 years old. Oh well, new one on the way. Wondering if I should replace them all and not worry about it for another 3 years. I'd hate to miss a dive over something so silly.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Always having extras on hand is a dive saver too. Not only for you but for others. You would not believe what a diver is willing to pay for a hose out on a boat about to splash!!!!

:taco: :taco: :taco:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

3-5 years is a pretty good average - It depends how much you dive, how well you take care of your gear, etc. Most hoses will start to fail where the hose meet's the metal crimped end. If you see outer rubber starting to bubble or separate it's time to replace the hose.

IMHO It's best to get rid of the hose protectors, they do more damage than good.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I think I still use the hose from my 1st drysuit (almost 20 years old).
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I don't dive near as much as some of you but I have hoses in service that are REALLY old. I wonder if the new ones just are not as good? Maybe more flexable, but not as long lasting.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Just my experience but I had ended a dive at Three Tree and just after getting out of my gear I hear this loud air blasting sound. After the initial startling what just happened moment I turned off the air. The metal crimped end at the first stage had blown off. I looked at my dive buddy and said "thanks goodness that did not happen at depth". My local dive shop was happy to switch hoses for me at no cost.

I also seem to have to change my inflator hose more then any of them.
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

pogiguy05 wrote:Just my experience but I had ended a dive at Three Tree and just after getting out of my gear I hear this loud air blasting sound. After the initial startling what just happened moment I turned off the air. The metal crimped end at the first stage had blown off. I looked at my dive buddy and said "thanks goodness that did not happen at depth". My local dive shop was happy to switch hoses for me at no cost.

I also seem to have to change my inflator hose more then any of them.
I remember that day.
I had a similar hose malfunction at TTN.
As I was walking in to the water to fin up I heard a loud bang and had a sharp pain in my upper left chest. I seriously thought that someone had shot me.....
Turns out it was my Miflex HP hose that had burst. :eek:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

I just checked all of my hoses. In total I had one bad high pressure hose. Hole in the lower 1/3 near the SPG. Both of my drysuit inflator hoses are showing more wear then the other's. Both have a spot of champagne bubbles leaking out out.