Correction: 5thD-X (California) Blowing Out Halcyon Products

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Correction: 5thD-X (California) Blowing Out Halcyon Products

Post by Tangfish »

Looks like <del>5th Dimension in Issaquah</del> 5thD-X in Monterey California is dropping Halcyon as a supplier. As a result, all their stock is 30% off till it's gone. kgdiver pointed me tothis page, describing it.
Last edited by Tangfish on Tue May 30, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gee, if you read through the explanation of why they're dumping Halcyon as a supplier, it really doesn't make you want to run right over there and buy any Halcyon stuff.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:Gee, if you read through the explanation of why they're dumping Halcyon as a supplier, it really doesn't make you want to run right over there and buy any Halcyon stuff.
Sound reasoning!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

What do they offer instead?
:bootyshake:
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Um ... excuse me, but you folks are in error.

Being a staff member at 5th D in Issaquah ... I was quite surprised to read the above ... then I went to the Web site.

You have to understand that there are two businesses with similar names ... Fifth Dimension in Issaquah, WA ... and 5thD-X in Monterey California.

The folks who are dumping Halcyon are 5thD-X ... they're the California business owned by Mark's former business partner Andrew Georgitsis.

The Issaquah store ... which is in the process of changing its name to Pacific Rim Scuba (mostly due to the sort of confusion going on here) ... is one of Halcyon's biggest dealers, and it would've surprised me no end to see them dropping the product line.

As for Andrew, many of you know that he was currently dumped as the GUE Training Director ... and villified by many in the DIR community. As a result, he's cutting his business ties with all things DIR ... which includes the Halcyon product line. Of course, he has to find a good business reason to explain to his customers why he's doing so ... and "quality issues" seems to be an effective message.

Some of this is politics ... most of it's business. Andrew wants to promote competing business lines, which is his choice ... and a good one, to my concern. Competition provides incentive to create better products at lower prices, and we the consumer benefit.

But don't take everything you read on the Internet at face value. Every dive shop in the world carries "only the best" products ... and everything they decide not to carry is crap. Just ask any LDS owner ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Oh- OK. That was a bit confusing. So, in your opinion, Halcyon still makes good gear?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Of course halcyon still makes good gear Nailer. Halcyon OMS and Dive Rite are all pretty much the same ideas and Functions. Even OxyCheq Is a good one if not one of the best. I talked to mark he is not givingup Halcyon.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nailer99 wrote:Oh- OK. That was a bit confusing. So, in your opinion, Halcyon still makes good gear?
Halcyon makes good gear ... as do a lot of other companies out there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Grateful Diver wrote:Um ... excuse me, but you folks are in error.

You have to understand that there are two businesses with similar names ... Fifth Dimension in Issaquah, WA ... and 5thD-X in Monterey California.

The folks who are dumping Halcyon are 5thD-X ... they're the California business owned by Mark's former business partner Andrew Georgitsis.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sorry about the confusion, I've edited the headline and the original post. So, it boils down to: Halcyon stuff is still ok, and this shop is selling their stock at a discount.