New Lights for GoPro Cameras on Kickstarter

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

New Lights for GoPro Cameras on Kickstarter

Post by johndo88 »

The people who make the Sola lights, LIght & Motion, have started a new campaign on Kickstarter; new lights designed for users of GoPro cameras. There are 18 days left in the campaign and they are already funded (just over 200%). You can check it out at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/li ... nav_search

PS: I am in no way affiliated with Light & Motion or with Kickstarter. I did however decide to back this project.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Lights for GoPro Cameras on Kickstarter

Post by Norris »

Damn cool light!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mightymouse
Just Settling In

Post by mightymouse »

I saw this and was wondering if it is worth pursuing. I'm a new diver but it looks like an ideal setup to travel with. I have a gopro, but just logged my 24th dive so haven't added it to my gear just yet. I'm headed to Belize in May. Would this be good for a starter?
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

First know that I am a novice UW photographer. I have a GoPro-type camera on a stick. I use a Sola 1200 for light. The stick-type handle keeps me from getting my camera down low eye level with the fish. I have been wanting a tray for some time. So for me anyway, a tray, two arms, and two 600 lumen lights for $300 was something I could not pass up. There are some excellent UW photographers on this site that can provide great advice.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I think this is a great option, get two lights, the little baseplate and the itty-bitty lock line arms to get the lights out a bit from the camera and the ability to tilt them 'out' ever so slightly and I think it will give nice results with go pro's in our waters. The fixed to the side option will be fine for topside and really clear water but not so much for out here if visibility is less than ideal.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
mightymouse
Just Settling In

Post by mightymouse »

Thank you for the input!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

These are neat little lights and $250 for a tray, two lights and arms seems like a pretty good deal. You'll want to pick up some additional segments of locLine, the arms look to be pretty short and you'll want to get the lights positioned further away from the camera.

I'd be interested to see a review on the underwater burn time. Having an internal battery has it's positives and negatives - I typically leave my lights on the entire dive and will swap out batteries between dives.