Aeris vs. Suunto

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
mightymouse
Just Settling In

Aeris vs. Suunto

Post by mightymouse »

I'm looking into a new dive computer, how does Aeris compare with Suunto? The Aeris seems to be much lower price than Suunto.. is there a reason? I found an aeris A300 on ebay for $235, has computer, pressure gauge and compass. I found a Suunto through Underwater sports for less than $400, just computer and pressure gauge.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Aeris vs. Suunto

Post by fmerkel »

I've a similar curiosity. Out of the myriad of computers used over the last 15 years I've found that few last more than 5 years and a lot seem to make the warranty+a couple months. Aeris and UWATEC are among those. Annoyingly a UWATEC Aladin 2G warranty was refused recently because they changed the style of button, I emphasize style, not function, of button. No other function was changed.
Currently trying out a Suunto so results won't be known on reliability for a good while, hopefully not warranty period + 1 month.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Just a thought, I started with a whiz bang do all air integrated computer. I got tired of replacing it, so I went with a wrist mount computer, compass on a leash on my BCD and a good old brass n glass SPG. Never looked back.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I have 3 Suuntos, a Cobra, a Vyper2, and a Mosquito. The newest one is about 6 years old and the oldest was my first computer 13 years ago. All doing fine. No major service, just maintenance. I'm a fan.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Have an Aeris Atmos ai that I love. Have had it since about 2003 i think, works awesome. Mrs Gdog has one as well. Strongly considering the Aeris 300cs.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I'm going to keep my comments on the Aeris and Suunto, since that's what you're asking. I'm sure replies are going to pile up trying to let you buy a more expensive computer in the $600.00 range and above. Take it for what it's worth. They are good advises. As for your question, I've never used an Aeris, but I've used different Suunto's, my latest one, the Zoop for over 5 years now, still the original battery, and still works like it's new. The only thing is, my eyes are really getting bad (damn old age), and I have to squint looking at it on my wrist, especially at night. On a dive with good ambient light, no issue at all. With that said, I don't know how the Aeris performs at night with low light, or how big or small their alphanumerics are when illuminated. My next computer will be one that has large alphanumerics, is backlit, etc.

Another thing with the Suunto, is that, it's very conservative compared to the other computers. While your buddy's computer is not screaming yet for a deco, the Suunto will be (for the most part) beeping ahead of your buddy's computer.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

Aeris is out of business - the few products worth selling (A300 CS) are being rebranded and sold under the Oceanic brand (others are already sold under the Oceanic brand as well). Service will continue for the foreseable future, even though there is little service on dive computers other than battery & o-ring: when they die they die and it's mostly a full replacement.
in the A300 price range ~$289 there is a bunch of low cost LED, grey on grey, limited functionality standalone computers. You can find a bunch of Suunto, Cressi, Uwatec, Hollis, Dive Rite, Oceanic, Subgear, in that range
Newer design, grey on grey, LCD, standalone computers, watch style are all around $400-$450 range, then you get into multiple gas or color LED\OLED, wireless and the price goes up with features, up to $1600 of the latest Suunto or Galileo.
There is nothing magic and no difference - all main brands have products in the same feature segments (Scubapro\Uwatec, Aqualung\Suunto, Oceanic\Aeris\Hollis) or they play only in specific segments (Liquivision, Dive Rite, Cochran, Shearwater)
mightymouse
Just Settling In

Post by mightymouse »

Thank you for the feedback! I purchased a used oceanic versa pro , and then discovered it was no longer serviceable, so was a little paranoid and trying to find information on Aeris; thank you for that info. I learned on a suunto, and it's what most of my buddies use. Sounds like it's as reliable as it seems. Thanks so much!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I like my Sunnto Cobra, it seems to work great! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Last time I knew, Aeris and Oceanic are all made by the same company, Pelagic. You'll find that the Sunnto computers are far more conservative. If that is a plus or a minus is up to you.
marksleevan
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by marksleevan »

I have been diving with the Aeris A300 CS. I have had no problems with the wrist mounted computer. The display was easily readable, even on the surface where lighting was bright. The logs are exceptional. The amount of information available is also very impressive. I have the integrated PSI module, which I would highly recommend. It's provides helpful information about remaining dive time, etc.. The price is a little high, but may be worth the information you have at your command.
Hope this helps.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

marksleevan wrote:I have been diving with the Aeris A300 CS. I have had no problems with the wrist mounted computer. The display was easily readable, even on the surface where lighting was bright. The logs are exceptional. The amount of information available is also very impressive. I have the integrated PSI module, which I would highly recommend. It's provides helpful information about remaining dive time, etc.. The price is a little high, but may be worth the information you have at your command.
Hope this helps.
Good to hear this...Ive been eyeballling this model quite a bit. Would love to see the display underwater sometime.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

My Suunto D4i is working great, but the screen is TINY. Next version will be something with bigger screen I think. Girlfriend has a new-older Suunto Gecko that's been giving her fits.