The PLATE question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

The PLATE question

Post by Dave »

O.k. so what do you guys think, my doubles feel extremely secure without a plate all be it I have only tried them on dry ground....what has been your experience? Then there is the question of SS, Aluminum, and even PVC (???) also , do you guys run double regs on both tanks or a primary on one and an octo on the other???..... ](*,)
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

:hal

Get the SS plate, aluminum won't last and is too light for the doubles. Some have used a 'traditional' bc with doubles but the plastic buckles on the bcs tend to wear out quickly, since they will be under greater stress. Back home I have an extra thick 6mm SS plate from Agir Brokk on my doubles.

About regs, the primary on the right shoulder and backup on the left. More info about gear in general in here.

Oh yeah, nothing is 'secure enough' if it's not bolted on, twice. ;)
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well I dont know about abouot all that DIR stuff not my cup of Sea water

I would say dive the twins both with and with out a back plate and see how you like it best.

I have a Al plate I would lend to you if you wated to try a plate

It is up to you I have known divers that sware by the plate with twins and I know divers that sware at the plate when diving twins

that is a realy cool web page about how and why they rig up the way they do though I found it informative at least thankn for the link

I gess it depends on your intent and dive style
just my two boubbles
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

sparky wrote:Well I dont know about abouot all that DIR stuff

I say if you exit the water with the same amount of divers you entered the water with and had a god time then

You are D I R =D> not to pick a fight just my thoughts
as to diving your twins.
Yea, I know, there is a lot of (both positive and negative) bs about the dir system. The principles are really to my liking and I try to make the most of them in my own diving while not becoming anal about them. ;)

Dunno about being a dir, what makes you as one anyway, number of dives, a c-card, brand of gear, the logo on your boxer shorts? By the way, do you know what was this system called before it was dir??
sparky wrote: I would say dive the twins both with and with out a back plate and see how you like it best.

I gess it depends on your intent and dive style
That's more than true, personal preferences vary a lot so maybe trying out both ways helps finding the one setup.

Now off to grab a nice steak...yummy... and maybe a beer :partyman:

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Thanks for the replies

Post by Dave »

Hey guys, Thanks for your input. So I will try them as they are and see what happens, the advantages I see to have a plate is that any tank roll should be eliminated and I would imagine it would give you a solid surface to torque down my mounting bolts to as apposed to just snugging them to my BC,,,and thanks for the heads up on the reg set up, I would have looked liked a real octopus with four regs heading for the water!!!!!
:hello2:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Re: Thanks for the replies

Post by da_jab »

:hal
Dave wrote:the advantages I see to have a plate is that any tank roll should be eliminated and I would imagine it would give you a solid surface to torque down my mounting bolts to as apposed to just snugging them to my BC
Yeah, the tanks will stay in place no matter what happens. You usually use wing nuts to attach the tanks to the bp, so they will be quick to put on and take out. You do have tank bands on your tanks?
Dave wrote: and thanks for the heads up on the reg set up, I would have looked liked a real octopus with four regs heading for the water!!!!!
No prob, if you'd have four regs, then you'd be diving really deep \:D/

.J

ps. the steak was delicious. :supz:
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Yep

Post by Dave »

Yep, they came with diverite bands and bolts, I see Zeagle sells some mounting plates that seem to act as heavy duty washers/brackets between the wingnuts and bc.....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What do you guys think about this setup that Dave pointed me to? Do OMS BCDs come in various sizes? I'm a little sketched of buying this because its not from the actual owner, but a eBay selling service. Do you think its worth the $975 (incl. shipping)???

I need to keep up with Dave and his new twins.

:rr:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

?????

Post by Dave »

Hey isn't that $925 total??? When I put in my zip it is $75 and change to ship?? What do guys think??? Seems pretty awesome to me but it is not chump change and I am sure any factual input would be greatly appreciated. I have e-mailed the seller asking
1. Is the harness system 1 size fits all if not what size is it.
2. Is the BC in perfect operating condition
3.It's kinda hard to see so I asked for verification that the manifold is in fact an isolation manifold and requested the brand (although it seems to me that whoever owned this rig was a pretty serious tech diver and definitely a gear freak!!!)
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Plate or no plate

Post by Dave »

So I am going to get these little bad boys http://www.zeagleexpress.com/html/produ ... =3&pid=291

to mount the twins a little more securely and Doug @ UWS is getting some straps from Zeagle to keep the bladder where it should be as when we removed the single tank factory strap we discovered it was all that was holding the bladder,,,,but Doug and Zeagle are on it....
:supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You're going nuts Dave. Is your wife going to stay married to you? Are you interested in getting a rebreather with me?
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

MMMMMM,O.K

Post by Dave »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,O.K.!!!!!! Maybe next year!!!
LOL
=D>
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

keep it up Dave and you to will suffer from
A I D S

Aqudic Indeced Divorce Syndrome.

As to your question Calvin on the set on Ebay I can only say I have bought a lot of gear from Ebay sellers and services alike and have nothing but good luck

I dont dive doubles nor do I see em going that way soon so I wont be much help on that I do think that looks like a good deal though. go for it

See you guys on the 4th at the canal.
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:What do you guys think about this setup that Dave pointed me to? Do OMS BCDs come in various sizes? I'm a little sketched of buying this because its not from the actual owner, but a eBay selling service. Do you think its worth the $975 (incl. shipping)???

I need to keep up with Dave and his new twins.

:rr:
Lots of horrible pieces of gear. I'd take only the twins, maybe the argon bottle (if you get cold easily), the backplate and the dry gloves. To make a full set of gear from that you'd need to add a pair of regs and a bcd wing bladder. Oms makes may different size bcds and wing bladders just as any other brand. The size of the twins is not mentioned but I'd assume that a 38lbs wing would be just fine with those twins.

By the way Dave if you want to try out a wing setup with your own twins, I'll be getting a backplate begining of the week and I have a wing for twin setup with me. So we could set up your twins and take them for a test dive. :)

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What do you do with the Argon? :dontknow:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:What do you do with the Argon? :dontknow:
You use it to inflate your dry suit instead of your breathing gas. Argon keeps you warmer since it does not conduct heat as quickly as other gases.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

I believe in the description they are described as steel 80's....

So J are you saying you don't like th BC?????
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Dave wrote:I believe in the description they are described as steel 80's....
Oh, yeah I missed that #-o 80's are a good size of tanks.
Dave wrote:So J are you saying you don't like th BC?????
What I don't like about this bc is all the ding dangs on it, too much plastic buckles, straps, velcros, rings, pouches all kinds of stuff that you really don't need. The inflator hose with the "backup" reg is also something I really doubt, since it looks and probably is not a well performing reliable reg. Some debate a lot about the bungees on the wing, I've never tried a bungee wing since I'm happy with normal wing.

I must admit that I've never tried a bc like this, so I don't have first hand knowledge but it just looks to me a little too complicated.

.J

ps. back to work...
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Dave,
I have used my twin (doubles) HP 80s with my dive rite transpac and no back plate, before the plate was the "norm". I used the stabilzer plates that you pictured to hold the bladder and harness to the doubles.
Now I finally stepped up and got a Halcyon SS Backplate with a 10lb V weight and a BIG bladder. Still wanting to try it out. I have used the diverite transpac with my twins and loved em...just the BC is starting to show a lot of wear. I have another backplate if you want to try it.
Let me know. Also, I now have only my light and argon bottle as ditchable weight. But, that is another story.
Let me know about Wed. I am rearranging my work schedule to be able to join you guys and on the 4th I am doing the boat dive.
Thanks,
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ok guys, if she's rearranging her schedule we gotta commit to the dive on Wednesday. I for one am in, can we meet at 6:30 at cove 2? Also, Kirsten, how much warmer do you stay with Argon in the suit?
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Here, here on the reply. I just read something about the bungee wing too, wish i COULD REMEMBER WHERE THAT WAS,,,,WHERE ARE MY KEYS,,,,DID i LOCK THE DOOR,,,COUGH, COUGH, AHEMMM, JUST JOKING. Anyway, I kinda like all the d-rings, I believe they are intended for towing stage bottles and the like and I am quite sure that the pouches can be removed and are simply slid on to the underlying harness as is the case with nearly all wing type BC's. But as you mentioned I have too have no first hand experience with that Bc but I vote that it looks pretty cool... :rr:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Hey Kirsten, I would definitely like to check out the plate to see what the scoop is and if I want to get one,,,that would be really cool...
Wednesday at 6:30 cove 2 works for me!!!! :partyman:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yo, I still don't see any bids on This Rig. I'm seriously considering it. I did email the seller to ask some questions, I think you did too Dave. I still haven't heard back. Did they get back to you Dave, if so what did they say?

:binky:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

I guess you could get a new rig with the same amount of money as this one.
A bp+wing costs about 350$ and 500$ should buy you a set of double tanks, used ones are ok. I don't think you will be needing the Argon kit, yet, many divers use them back home but it's waay colder back there. ;)

And if you don't see any bids, doesn't that mean something?

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave would you like me to brinn my AL Plate you can try it out with yuor doubles and see if you like a plate and it would not add any weight or at least not more then a pound or so

when we dive on saturday
I told ya id let you borrow it for a dive or so
no trouble

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man