The PLATE question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Sparky that would be super I would appreciate that!!!
As far as the doubles on e-bay go Calvin, I do not believe the "selling Co." really know much about what they sell and would if anything pass the questions to the seller and he is obviously a serious diver and may well not be reachable,,,,,,just a thought. I would and have checked around on prices on several different setups and I would encourage you to do the same so that you are comfortable with what you buy and with all this great technology at your fingertips combined with the old faithful telephone it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to have exact numbers from several sources...btw, there is a "800" # listed on the post for questions regarding items...ttyl
:partyman:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Ok Dave
ill pring the plate for you to to try out

see you saturday then

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Super,,,Thanks Sparky!!!
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Ha-haa, I've been adjusting my new backplate for the whole evening, walking around and fiddling with the straps and other strange back and shiny things...
People next door must think that I'm into bondage or something even more kinky, mmm, the smell of new rubber, nice :rr:

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Hey J, what plate did you get?? I have a Zeagle tech and have been looking at plates too, not sure yet what I will end up with, am I correct in assuming they are pretty much interchangeable with various brand BC's??? I am looking at a Diverite, a Zeagle, and a OMS.
:book:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

mine is a dive rite Al plate and i have a single tank adapter for it
but I dont have the tank strap but for doubles you dont need the straps

just bolt your bandt to the plate and your wing and then

Rock On DUDE

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

The plate I got now is manufactured by Salvo Diving in Florida.

All the backplates are generally the same. The distance between the bolt holes for attaching tanks is "standard" 11" in all backplates. Most differences are in the materials that the plates are manufactured from. Some plates have holes to get a tank strap trough, so you can attach a single tank without using a single tank adapter, while others don't. I guess the single tank adapter is a nice piece of kit to have when diving with a single tank, a friend of mine doesn't have the adapter and the tank doesn't stay firmly in place, but I'll know better tomorrow. :)

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Cool, see ya in about an hour or so J
:sign10: :sign10:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

To continue this plate discussion, I just bought 2 PST E7 80cf tanks, and now I need to get my manifold, tank bands and backplate. Do backplates come in different sizes? My tanks are about 6" shorter than regular 80cf tanks, and I don't know about the diameter.

I'm thinking of going with the OMS Comfort Harness System, with OMS manifold and valves. Janne told me to get the rotating crossbar type, but should I get the 200 or 300 bar version, and why? Also, what do I need to consider when choosing bands since my tanks are smaller than conventional sizes?

This is a confusing thing to get into!

:dontknow:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Tang Fish:

Yes Plates come in Diferant sises. I have a sise chart around here some place but maybe
Jay will post it before for us

It is based on your body it is suposed to be a mesurement from
the Base of your neck to the small of your back

I would bet you need atleast a Large as this is what I have and I am
5' 7" and this is what I needed and it would fit a taller diver as well

as to your question on the Manafold I would say as long as it was the type that had the O ring inside the valve it
you would be good

I just had this conversation with Mike up at hoodsportndive

and he recomends these manafolds incase you bump and tweek your first stage this will provent leakage, as to your bar measurement
I would go with the 300 bar if for no other reason it has a highr preasure rateing.

as to brand this is like any thing else in diving you will buy what you like.
it dont make no diff one is about as good as the next you end up buying the name in the end.

also I raly like the products offered by this company and there prices are not to bad. a lot of Tech Divers use them.
http://www.highland-millwork.com/products/products.html

I clicked on there contact us link and orderd a free catalog and price list it took them like 2 or 3 weeks to get it to me

if you email me I can scann the price list for you and send it back to you

I talked to Mike at hoodsPortndive and he would be more then glad to answer your questions also just go to there store site and email him or call and ask for mike.

http://www.hoodsportndive.com/

I would also recomend you stop by or call the Shop and talk to Wally or his partner jay and I had the chance to viset with them at the shop
they could help you out as well and they realy seemed to know there Stuff and would give you a fare price.
http://www.tacomascuba.net/

I am still willing to make a deal if any one is looking for a Al Plate
I have a Dive Rite Al plate its is light at 1 1/2 pounds but it would do the JOB !

I will try to rember to start a thread tomorrow after work with some more Tech Gear links I have

I have been working on this same problem for a while now and heve a few I can share .

hope this helps Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Sparky, what do you want for your aluminum plate?
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:Do backplates come in different sizes?
I thought there is only one size of backplate, since it's not that big, about 15" long.
tangfish wrote: I'm thinking of going with the OMS Comfort Harness System, with OMS manifold and valves. Janne told me to get the rotating crossbar type, but should I get the 200 or 300 bar version, and why?

I'd vote against all that "comfort" stuff, the normal one piece harness is comfortable enough, no need for shoulder pads, hey it's not supposed to be a race car safety belt harness ayway. :) And when adjusted correctly it's like wearing nothing at all, really.

If you decide to get the 300bar din-manifold then your regs must be 300bar rated as well and have 300bar din-connector (which is different from 200bar one ofcourse). Because you can't fit or use 200bar din (or yoke) 1st stage in 300bar manifold. But, you can get a small adapter to fit yoke 1st stages to your 200bar din manifold, if you are for example trying out new regs.

But since you are never going to fill your tanks up to 300bar you can get the 200bar rated manifold just fine, no need to buy higher rated manifold if you are not going to really use it. You might also end up with problems in filling the tanks, since 300bar stuff is as far as I know really rarely used in the US so go for the 200bar one and make sure you get the rotating cross bar type, that is what really matters here.
tangfish wrote:Also, what do I need to consider when choosing bands since my tanks are smaller than conventional sizes?
Buy good and wide bands (4" or so) from the start, the tank size does not matter here.
tangfish wrote: This is a confusing thing to get into!
It's easy, just take what you really need and remember: if in doubt leave it out. :)

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ok, so if I buy 200 bar valves, then what is the maximum pressure (in psi) I can fill my tanks to? Right now I can fill them to 4000psi safely (although I only go to 3750).

Calvin
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:Ok, so if I buy 200 bar valves, then what is the maximum pressure (in psi) I can fill my tanks to? Right now I can fill them to 4000psi safely (although I only go to 3750).
The maximum test pressure for a 200bar manifold is 350bars which makes about 5000psi, so no worries. And do get the newer type i.e a 232bar (3300psi) manifold, so you'll be well on the safe side. I have the older 200bar manifold and tanks myself and constantly pump them up to 250bar (3600psi) while mixing my own nitrox into them and I'm still alive and divin'. ;)

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave wrote:Sparky, what do you want for your aluminum plate?
:hal
Dave:
I would take $75.00 for the plate and STA there is a harnes on the plate as well I just have no Idea what I did with the crouch strap

I can email you a few pics of the plate .just give me about a hour or so im cleaning dive gear and just got home from work.

OK My bad
I did not relise the 300 bar was so rare.
But like I saied before I would shop around you dont have to have

Dive Rite or Halseon

Actuly I know of a few divers that have a couple other brands and love them the bigest thing is to look at what you want to do with the plate and fit it out for that.

Have you checked out the links I posted for you ?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

If you could send some pics to me @ dave@nwdiveclub I'd appreciate it. Thanks,
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave sent you a email. let me know if you had any problems or questions.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man