AL plate sizing - Bad shoulders.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

AL plate sizing - Bad shoulders.

Post by thefeve »

Hey there,

So I found out over the last few months I have a torn rotator cuff in both of my shoulders. And, while i haven't been diving very much as of late, I'm trying to figure out some ways to improve the "ergonomics" of getting geared up. Seems like once i'm in the water, i don't have too much issue reaching my valves. However, gear up, reaching back etc to get my harness on def doesn't feel great. My AL plate I've been using on my doubles rig is a cheapo one that i recently noticed is about 2" narrower at the shoulders than my DSS steel plate. I've re-laced it with some longer webbing (the old one i got was a tad on the small side) in hopes that if i can get used to a little more room on the shoulder straps, it would ease donning/doffing. I'd also like to find another plate though that has the shoulder slots spaced a bit wider. I'm not a small guy and while 1.5-2" isn't much, I feel like it'd be worth it to see.

I'd also be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the DSS Glide harness adapter
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340

i'm thinkin' i might be able to modify an AL plate to get it to work pretty easily. Pros/cons from anyone with experience?

I need to get the shoulders fixed, but its a LONG recovery, and we have baby #2 on the way this month, so I'm a few years out from being able to take the time to do it. So I'm just trying to get things sorted to help the problem as much as possible, and keep rehabbing them for maintenance.

Also, I'm gonna post this in both the buy/sell forum, and the gear central - mods feel free to leave it in only one if that's more appropriate.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Re: AL plate sizing - Bad shoulders.

Post by Peter Guy »

Re the DSS glide system -- it works as advertised. OTOH, I'm not at all sure that would be the best solution for you. I wonder if the following might be a better work-around:

Get a Fastex (sp?) clip (male/female) and thread both onto your right shoulder, leaving a few inches of slack when apart while leaving the left arm "normal.". Left arm in, right arm in, snap the buckles and you'll be good to go. The Aquarium puts a belt buckle on the left arm so that the size can be quickly adjusted.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Do you think the plastic clip is strong enough? I guess I was worried something like that wouldn't be all that reliable when carrying doubles? Does work okay with the stiff webbing? I may have a 2" clip around I can try out and see. Wondering how well the portion that bunches up gets out of the way?
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

thefeve wrote:Do you think the plastic clip is strong enough? I guess I was worried something like that wouldn't be all that reliable when carrying doubles? Does work okay with the stiff webbing? I may have a 2" clip around I can try out and see. Wondering how well the portion that bunches up gets out of the way?
I've seen them bust before, and also get accidentally crushed by a tank which put an end to the persons dive on the AJ Fuller before it even started. I think Camerone saw one bust in antarctica when on the davit to load back on the expedition boat, plunging the whole doubles kit into the briny depths.

The Halcyon cinch system works like a charm.

Assuming your harness is currently set up so you occasionally bonk your head on your valves, the easiest thing tho would be lengthen your shoulder strap up, shorten your crotch strap, and use the waist belt to 'spring' the system (tighten it up to put a bit of pull on the crotch strap, enough to keep the gear stable on your back but not so much to crush your balls) What this allows is when you sit down to shrug into and out of your kit, without the crotch strap/waist belt buckled, the length of the tanks will push the system 'up' on your back, the shoulder straps will then literally fall off your shoulders with minimal effort.

If and of this interests you and you'd like to give a cinch harness or shoulder strap lengthening a walk through and also a quick peek at making sure your kit is balanced after the changes, i'd be happy to catch up at Cove 1/2 sometime.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

I hadn't seen the H Cinch before other than just hearing about it on some random threads. Looks like a pretty slick setup. I feel like i should give adjusting the harness a go before dropping the coin on a setup like that. However, that does look like it would make life a lot easier:)

I'll see if can get down that way soon. I'd love to get some help on the harness and make sure its setup right. I have some silly little 72 dubs that are tricky to balance anyway, so any help is always good.

thanks!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

When i'm back from Kangaroo land I need to get up and shoot some video of the stars left at the pilings. Depending on how soon you want to sort stuff out, meeting up at the Muck could be an option as well :)
thefeve wrote:I hadn't seen the H Cinch before other than just hearing about it on some random threads. Looks like a pretty slick setup. I feel like i should give adjusting the harness a go before dropping the coin on a setup like that. However, that does look like it would make life a lot easier:)

I'll see if can get down that way soon. I'd love to get some help on the harness and make sure its setup right. I have some silly little 72 dubs that are tricky to balance anyway, so any help is always good.

thanks!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

That'd be great. I'm up in lake stevens now, so after work (I'm at boeing) dives at muk are great. Plus, we have a baby girl on the way anyday now so it'd be nice to stay close:) No rush, but let me know if you plan on headin' this way and maybe I could meetup with you.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:blackblink: You know my solution to your problem. :blackblink:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Get the shoulders fixed sooner and stop putting band aids on them

I have buckles on my sidemount BC. I don't really like them and run the risk of breaking one or both. But they do sorta work and would assist in your situation.

Better yet would be to take paternity leave and surgery fix it leave concurrently.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote: Better yet would be to take paternity leave and surgery fix it leave concurrently.
Lol! Not a lot of babies in your life, huh?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

You can trust I've played the scenarios through completely. But try having a 2 year old and a new born and then strapping one arm down and being told not to move it for 3 months... before you get to rehab... etc... then repeating on the other side. Could it be done? Well sure - but I'm basically asking mom to be a butler to 3 kids now, and that's not something I'm willing to do:)

I can function fine enough with them as is. I'm working out, and doing rehab to strengthen the surround muscles, and keeping mobility in there to avoid "frozen" shoulders. But after a lot of discussion with the surgeon, he agreed the timing wasn't right. One screw up catchin' a kiddo, and then you gotta redo the surgery... no thank you! I've had a shoulder and a knee done before, and I'm not in any hurry to have to do that process more than I need to.

It'll get done eventually, likely look at it again soon as baby #2 is walkin. But I figure between now and then, there's things I can do to stay active and I think adjusting the gear setup is a reasonable thing to do:)
CaptnJack wrote:Get the shoulders fixed sooner and stop putting band aids on them

I have buckles on my sidemount BC. I don't really like them and run the risk of breaking one or both. But they do sorta work and would assist in your situation.

Better yet would be to take paternity leave and surgery fix it leave concurrently.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Better yet would be to take paternity leave and surgery fix it leave concurrently.
So true. My shoulders never ached this much before we had a kid.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:
It's like Milo. He starts off with 10lbs of rehab weight and it gradually increases until he's lifting the whole teenager :)

Although the likelihood of diving post-baby is basically zero so he might as well sell everything now, cheap. dsteding, spatman, plenty of non-diving dads here to keep him company ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.