Equipment Issues, Drysuit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Equipment Issues, Drysuit

Post by bschnabel »

A few months ago I bought a New (never in water) Whites Fusion Bullet from a member on here. Everything looked great and was in new condition. Problem is I have not had a single dry dive with it. First issue was when I went to trim the neck seal, it split about the entire lenght, so I had to replace it with a new one (my fault). Once I got that sorted I then found 2 pinholes a few inches from the inflator valve, patched those with aquaseal, next dive I found 2 more... Since fixing the pinholes I have not been able to find anything else. All the leaks are in the center of my chest, near the inflator valve. Pressure tested the suit a few times, no leaks to be found had a few people look at it. Even tried looking under water one night. The only thing I can think of is my inflator valve is leaking.

On the Whites it is an Apeks valve, is it just the valve onto the rubber grommet through the suit, or is there a spacer between there, some I have seen come with a white disc I do not have that on mine. How tight do you have to tighten the valve? I feel I have it tight, but I did not use a wrench to tighten it, is that much force needed? Should I try to place silicone on the grommet? I read that is not necessary on Whites.

I have about 10 dives on this thing (My first "Dry" suit), a dry dive would really be nice! I am not flooding, but most of my stomach and chest is damp after a dive.

Other thing that happened recently (do not believe to be related, but might be) was I started breathing in water from my regulator, backup was worse than primary! This I believe was only on my last couple dives. Is there a chance water is flowing back through the hose and into my inflator valve? I disassembled my 1st stage and when I depressed the purge button on my 2nd stage a stream of water came out of the hose (both primary and backup). Going in to get those serviced this week. Hope you guys can help me figure this out.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Re: Equipment Issues, Drysuit

Post by xBabyJesus »

I have (3) whites fusion suits in my house. We've had seam tape pull loose so check those really good and aquaseal as needed. Also your valves should have a clear plastic "washer" on the inside before you thread on the "nut."

I got my first leak yesterday and I hope it was the dump valve "burping" in rough water, Gonna have to pressure test before next dive.

Good luck!
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Maybe that is it then, any idea where to get that washer?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You do have to use a wrench, and sometimes more than once. Every time I've taken off an inflator valve, I've had at least one wet dive before I got it back on tight enough.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Make sure the chest valve is tight....if it is loose at all you will leak a bit.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

As some know I have had my issues with custom NEW dry suits from Bare. After about 4 suits the last and final one has done me well so far. When I first received the suit brand new I was getting wet just a little in the middle of my chest. I made sure everything was tight. The dive shop was kind enough to swap out the inflator valve and I have had no issues since then. I think it was just a defective valve even on a new suit. Who knows why but it happens.
Jeff Castor