BCD and Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

BCD and Fins

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have been diving for about 8 years and have had the same Dive Rite BCD with backplate and long blade fins forever. On a recent trip to the Philippines my brother in law expressed wanting to learn how to scuba dive, so I left him most of my gear to get started. The only things I don't have a duplicate of are my Dive Rite BCD and DR long blade fins. I am thinking of staying with Dive Rite for a BCD, but I am open to suggestions. As for Fins I have been wanting to try the shorter Hollis F1's or similar fins. I have always had spring straps and intend on staying with them.
Jeff Castor
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: BCD and Fins

Post by kdupreez »

I really like the Hollis F1's - you are welcome to try mine sometime if we are in the same diving area?

regarding BP/W - there are like a bazillion manufacturers.. DSS, Hollis, DiveRite, Scubapro, Halcyon, etc.

Personally, I'm partial to the Halcyon brand just because I have been to the factory and I know what goes into each piece of kit made by hand and I know the warranty and US made label and people behind it :)

I'd suggest try out a few systems and brands and decide what works best for you personally.

Same offer, you can borrow and dive my kit anytime.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: BCD and Fins

Post by BillZ »

I really like my F1's drysuit diving - they have a wide blade with a thick sidewall purchase which is great for back kicks. They are also heavy/negative and seem to work well for keeping me in trim.

The downside is that they are heavy, which makes them a PIA for travel. I also find them too heavy for warm water wetsuit diving and I have to work to keep myself in trim. I picked up a cheap pair of HOG fins for warm water travel and they seem to work much better for me.

As far as the BC goes my suggestion would be to go with a simple hogarthian backplate & wing set-up. It's a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) configuration that adapts to pretty much everything. The manufacturers that Koos mentioned all make a good product. Around 35 lbs of lift is what you'll need for steel single tank diving.