SW petrel, xdeep black, ostc sport, sea ear

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

SW petrel, xdeep black, ostc sport, sea ear

Post by xBabyJesus »

I'm finding my Suunto D4i a little hard to use underwater and thinking about getting something with a larger lit screen and for future tech use.

Any opinions or experience with these options? The Petrel seems popular in the USA but it is much bigger than some of the other options and I'm not a big guy. Does that affect donning/doffing or maneuvering underwater? I already clang my rings a lot

Anyone used the Black? It's a little cheaper to start, smaller and has OLED (vs tft lcd). Is it mature enough? Do the buttons get bumped a lot?

Any OSTC users? Anyone check out the seabear/subgravity options at DEMA?
yadayada
Aquaphile

Re: SW petrel, xdeep black, ostc sport, sea ear

Post by yadayada »

I've dived Shearwater for the last 4 years and have only good things to say about them.
I have the xDeep Black available for test dives and i should have a Subgravity\Seabear H3 for demo dives at H2O Show.
The Black is built like a tank with s asealed rechargeable battery, has not given any troubles so far, but they have been plagued by availability issues (i have several units backordered).
The H3 is really well made, excellent reviews so far, and the forthcoming T1 promises to be even better.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Any thoughts on the size of the Shearwater petrel? It looks big in pictures.
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

overall, it has a smaller footprint than a Scubapro\Uwatec Galileo Sol\Luna or Mares HD - Come to the shop check one out and take it for a spin.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

the petrel is a great size, afterall you actually want to be able to read the digits ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Petrel. It's great. Easy to read and use. Size is fine.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!