STA and LP95

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Furnari
Aquaphile

STA and LP95

Post by Furnari »

As I get older, I find that I don't have much of a rear end to keep a weight belt in place. I'd like to ditch the belt entirely, but shoving all the lead into my Hollis weight system is a bit much. I could go with an STA and a channel weight, but I dive LP95s and I always assumed that moving the tank off my back like that would make trim a bit of a problem. Anyone dive a 95 with an STA? How's that work for you?

I tried an XS sausage weight but my Hollis SS plate doesn't have enough of a bend. I'm going to try a couple slotted 1.5s on my camband, but I'm open to other suggestions...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: STA and LP95

Post by Jeff Pack »

Consider a DUI weight and trim. But that will move weight lower and you'll likely need trim weights.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

XS scuba weight pockets on your cam bands. 2 on the upper, 2 on the lower. Move weight around as needed to achieve trim.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried XS weight pockets on the cam bands, but with the diameter of 95 the cam bands are too short. Anyone use an STA with a 95?
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Furnari wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I tried XS weight pockets on the cam bands, but with the diameter of 95 the cam bands are too short. Anyone use an STA with a 95?
I've used a STA for a long time, with LP95's, HP100's, HP119's, HP120's - never had a problem with trim.

One of my most comfortable setups (trim-wise), was with a weighted STA, Worthington LP95 and cam band weight pockets...plus a weight harness or belt. Lots of flexibility to put weight exactly where you need it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Furnari wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I tried XS weight pockets on the cam bands, but with the diameter of 95 the cam bands are too short. Anyone use an STA with a 95?
The pockets take up zero length of the cam band so I'm puzzled what your issue is? Cam bands should go around an 8" tank just fine. Longer ones are available if there's a big wad of BC taking up length.

They just slide on and then cinch down the cam. Drop block or soft lead into the pockets afterwards.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Yeah, I didn't explain that too well, did I? I've got the Aqualung Griplock cam bands, and on one side the pouch would have to ride right where the end of the strap lays down on the velcro. Having things touch fasteners has always kind of bugged me (I work in occupational safety, so I'm probably more paranoid than I need to be). I'll give it a shot this weekend, and possibly look into smaller pouches or an STA if it still weirds me out after a few dives. Thanks for the advice, everyone...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just unthread the Velcro from the last slot in the buckle. Then reattach the Velcro surfaces with the buckle operating independent of the tail of the strap. Slide the pouch back onto the double strap area (you have to move it around a bit to start). The Velcro will not hold the buckle closed anyway, I have no idea why they thread them that way in the scuba industry. That way you can have a pouch on either side of the tank (for rough balance) and the buckle in the middle. This is how I have my single tank rig setup with 2x 5lb on the lower cam band.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.