Undies

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Undies

Post by kwbyron »

So, I bought some cold weather themals from REI, they are the warmest they sell (according to the tag) but I still got cold on a 40 min dive to about 70'. I wore some fleece pajama pants and a fleece half zip over them and my suit leaked a little (although I didn't feel wet). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to add to take me that last 10 degrees, so to speak?
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I started out using only expedition weight REI thermals and I did get cold. I added a full suit USIA undergarment and it made a huge difference. The fleece long johns alone did not seem to loft enough to provide much of a barrier between me and that cold sea water. If you are going to dive regularly its worth spending the money on a decent undergarment.

I still use the REI long johns on the bottom half as well, and if it is really cold I will add a fleece vest that helps a lot. Also if you are not using dry gloves you may want to consider that option. Having dry hands has made a big difference in my overall comfort level. If you really need to get warm you can find heated thermals that use small lithium battery packs.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

In the end you'll probably be better off getting an undergarment that's designed for diving. 'Expedition' weight thermals for other activities such as hiking, climbing, etc. seem very warm, but aren't the optimal materials given the needs of divers (compression from squeeze, etc.).

:salute:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

What drysuit are you diving?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Xerotherm is awesome stuff. I wear long-undies under the heaviest Xerotherm and I'm toasty.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I suspect a lot of us started out trying to use fleece garments designed for other purposes. Although I don't completely understand why, they just don't work. The fleece used for diving stuff must be much denser or higher pile or something. My husband was AMAZED when he switched from skiing garments to a simple Mobby's jumpsuit, how much warmer he was. And then if you get into the 4th Element stuff, or the quilted Thinsulate like DUI and Diving Concepts sell, you go up another order of magnitude in insulation.

And, unfortunately, in cost :-(
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

under armour cold gear tops and bottom
rei fleece vest
usia exotherm 2
fleece socks

nylon tri-lam dry suit

sometimes rei fleece 200 pants

I have been warm in this setup even in 34 degree mountain lakes in feb
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

I have a Moby's laminate. I have a 300 or 400 wt undergarment now, but it's about an inch too short and that really cuts on my mobitlity. I never realized how much untill yesterday when I dove it again (comparing tues and wed dive). I just don't have the $300 to spend on a "diving" undergarment. Plus, I am applying to grad school in the southeastern US, so I am hoping for wetsuit diving soon....
-Kevin
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-WAY-ANTARCTICA-DR ... dZViewItem

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrondel101bjrrQQhtZ-1

I have read a lot of reviews on Scubaboard for this guys suits and they seem to be a great deal for the money. He even offered to have one custom fit for me for about $20 extra. They come in a few different thicknesses depending on what your looking for as well.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Kevin,

Diving concepts makes a great 2 layer fleece undergarment for MSRP of $180. Everyone who has one likes it a lot and is warm enough for most people. It is call the Z-fleece, 2 layer.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

just buy a weezle and don't waste your time or money with other undergarments. buy it once and warm and toaty year round, EVEN if your suit LEAKS!!!!!!! :partyman:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Maverick wrote:just buy a weezle and don't waste your time or money with other undergarments. buy it once and warm and toaty year round, EVEN if your suit LEAKS!!!!!!! :partyman:
:laughing3: The bold part is important for Kevin......
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Maverick wrote:just buy a weezle and don't waste your time or money with other undergarments. buy it once and warm and toaty year round, EVEN if your suit LEAKS!!!!!!! :partyman:
2nd this. I've had just about everthing out there and nothing compares.

Being a die hard DUI store and user, I resisted going to Weezle for years and finally broke down this spring and started selling it in the store as well as diving it. Hands down, I haven't seen anything that can hold a candle to it!

I'm stocking it now in several sizes should someone need a set.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I dive an apollo drysuit...4 mil neoprene. Fairly new diver, and have put money toward other gear, rather than an undersuit. And yep, I have done the typical, rei fleece pants/top, with maybe a capilene or two. Upgrading to an undersuit has always been the plan, just a matter of when. I get a bit cold, but think drygloves will help a lot...as my hands are always the worse, followed by arms.

I have checked out weezle suits, and they seem to live up to all the hype. How much cash am I looking at dropping? I am actually studying abroad now (I know I missed the dive fair!!!), and was able to get a pair of ndiver dry gloves for much less than in the states...must be import taxes and stuff. Suprising considering the terrible pound-usd exchange rate. Weezle is UK based also, might I be able to get a similarly better deal? or maybe, I should go for a different suit, still substantially warmer than my current rei fleece setup. Cheers.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I am a dealer for Weezle here locally in the greater Seattle area. If anyone is interested, just send me a PM or e-mail.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

another vote for Weezle
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

My issue with buying an undie is that I will be diving dry for 6mths if life goes to plan (even though it rarely does), so I don't want to shell out $2-300 for something I really won't be using as much. I picked my Grad schools and they are in Florida, S. Carolina, Virginia, and Alabama... I am thinking about selling mine to offset the cost, it's SO warm though, I wish it were 3" longer.
-Kevin