Wing weight placement: What do you do?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
nv77
Frequent Bubbler

Wing weight placement: What do you do?

Post by nv77 »

If you dive with a plate and wing, I'd love to hear how you distribute your weights.

I just got a Hollis plate and wing and need to figure where to put my lead. My steel plate and tank adapter weigh about 6.3 lbs. I need to distribute about 26 more pounds – Ideally part in ditchable pockets.

I realize that everyone's need are different, but if you could reply with your configuration, that will give me somewhere to start.

Thanks!
Nanci
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Wing weight placement: What do you do?

Post by mz53480 »

I have about 8lbs permanently poured into the back well of my STA. love it.
YMMV Depending on the size/type of STA.
I use a dui harness for the rest.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I have a ss plate about the same weight with a OMS harness. I use a 12 lb seasoft belt with 14 lb in ditchable pouches (Dive Rite, small) on the belt. My trim has been good with this setup.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

For my singles set-up I have my plate and STA at 6.5 lbs, a soft shot spine weight at 3.5 lbs and a 16-22 lb brick lead weight belt (I adjust the weight on the belt depending on what undergarment I'm wearing and the tank I'm diving). Some folks like to add a cam band pocket to shift weight higher on their rig but I've found that I can balance things out by shifting the tank up a bit.

Some people use pockets on the waist band of their BP&W but I like having the belt rather than having all of the weight hanging off my rig.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

10lbs on the lowest cam band
The rest in a weight belt.

Your rig needs to float without you with a full tank and all the lead its going to carry on it. The problem with that is you don't need 40+ lbs of lift. tank weight, gas weight, reg, and lead can easily add up to 45 to 50lbs and the rig won't float unless you get a big wing that tacos all over the place.

So you really need to move some lead off the rig to either a belt or a DUI harness to then get a reasonable ~35lb wing that will float the rig.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I have a SS Highland Mills BP , STA, and tank bands. I use a weight pouch on each side of the upper tank band making sure the pouches sit as close as possible to the wing. Each pouch is loaded with 2 lbs. soft weights. My other weights sits on two weight pouches on my waist band placed as close as possible all the way to the back. Each waist pouch carries 5 lbs. of soft weights. All in all, a total of only 14 lbs., excluding the weight of the BP and STA. I use the same weight configuration using either of my drysuits (doesn't matter what undergarment used) or semi-drysuit, and even diving with just shorts and a rash guard. I know I can even use less weight when diving freshwater or tropical dives, but I don't bother to even mess with it.

Did you use a jacket type BCD before you got your BP and wing setup? You may be able to shave a few pounds If that's the case, from your projected 26 pounds to carry.

Good luck!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

My single tank setup uses a stainless plate with a pair of weight plates bolted on, for a total of 14 lbs. I add a belt with another 12 to 15 lbs of soft weights, depending on which undergarments I'm using. Sometime I'll add a 3 lb hard weight in a pouch to either the upper or lower cam band for trim. I also use a pair of 1 lb ankle weights.

When I'm in warm water with my Kydex plate, I just use a couple hard weights in pouches on the cam bands. I like having the weight up high on my body in order to counter balance my legs, which are fairly negative.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Singles w/backplate:
My wife uses, a 1lb STA, a ~5.5lb backplate, a 16lb weight belt, and 2 pockets on the cam bands with 2lbs each with Worthington 100's, compressed Bare CD-4 and fleece undergarment, adds 2 to 3lbs if she uses fabers or PST tanks on the trim weight pouches. Basically the same as I used to do, but I haven't dove a single tank in ages. She's pretty happy with this setup, and so was I till I needed more gas. ;-)

Backplate with doubles in saltwater: 5-8lbs non-ditchable lead weight bolted in-between the tanks and backplate, and works to keep me and deco tanks down while empty, results may vary. :P Doubles in freshwater: no added weight.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Single tank diving with a 40lb singles wing:

DSS Steel backplate + bolt-on weight plates = 14lbs
Seasoft Weight harness (ditch-able) = 12lbs
Seasoft cam band weight pockets on upper cam band = 0-8lbs, depending on which undergarment and tank configuration I'm diving

Prior to using the DSS plate, I had a stainless plate + weighted STA that came in at 12lbs total
nv77
Frequent Bubbler

Post by nv77 »

Thanks for all the advise. I'm still figuring it out - but the info is very helpful. We are SO lucky to have a forum like this and I appreciate all the information I get from the community.