Scooters. What do you have? Your likes and dislikes?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Re: Scooters. What do you have? Your likes and dislikes?

Post by diverden »

Smells like a local scooter drag race coming up... VROOM VROOM :smt064
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:Smells like a local scooter drag race coming up... VROOM VROOM :smt064
I'd love to race but I'm still recovering from the last nut crushing win :penelope:

Even though the Tahoe benchmark hasn't been done in 4 years its still a useful barometer.
http://www.tahoebenchmark.com/

Although I think the Gavin lovers have finally recognized that their SLA scooters are not fast and haven't been "fast" since their competition moved on from Makos.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

The tow harness is very nice to the nuts. I'm just generally too lazy to put it on and/or forget to pack it in my kit.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

P.S. I noticed Edd S's SM rig the standard crotch strap goes something like: right-rear hip, to front loop near the belt buckle, then back to the left-rear hip. It's like a built-in nut saver.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

If your crotch isn't killing you the next day, you weren't scooting hard enough.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:If your crotch isn't killing you the next day, you weren't scooting hard enough.
You have not rode a Genesis, damn thing has so much thrust you can't ride it at full throttle for more than a minute or two. Or turn your head.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

We use SUEX all the time and they are reliable, robust and well engineered. We have the whole line (XJoy 7, 14, 37 and XK1) available for training, testing and rentals. You should come check them out and see for yourself how you like\dislike them.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Is it "worth" having a scooter in the PNW? What are good dive spots where scooter really helps? I was kinda under the impression that it was a clear water or big cave thing.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

xBabyJesus wrote:Is it "worth" having a scooter in the PNW? What are good dive spots where scooter really helps? I was kinda under the impression that it was a clear water or big cave thing.
Yes, scooters are well worth it imo. Since I bought one almost a year ago, I seldom dive without it. Even basic sites like TTN, Cove 2, or Mukilteo become awesome incredible dives with a scoot.

Now...if you want to spend your dive taking pics in a 10 ft square area...scooters won't be very attractive. Also, your configuration may not well support scooting.

Otherwise the main issue is finding a dive buddy who also has a scooter.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Actually, scooters are great for photographers (and videographers) cause they help you get to that awesome 10ft square faster and allow you more time to shoot it. I just sling my camera like a stage bottle on the left and when its time to take pictures, turn off the scooter (or lock it off or whatever) and nose clip it so it doesn't get annoying and shoot shoot shoot.

Scooters and the NW are like peas and carrots!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

Jeremy wrote: Otherwise the main issue is finding a dive buddy who also has a scooter.
This. ^^^

-Adrian
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

I end up buying two of everything, so my girlfriend-buddy will get a scoot too. Effing expensive hobby [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] we're already bp/w so it's just a crotch strap swap and a hit to the play money account.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I use mine all the time, probably 75% of my dives. But they aren't intro level dives, and all my buddies have scooters.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I just bought a new generation DiveX Piranah P1 last week and took it on a Deception Pass dive the weekend!

I had two Cuda's before this and have been evaluating a wide array of scoots for the past year. I wanted something thats has plenty runtime, plenty fast and plenty fun and not outrageously expensive and equally light on the muscles toting it to the water and something to make boat dives a breeze...

The P1 has plenty of runtime and you can add-on extra batteries as you go if you want more runtime.. each battery giving you about 120mins of runtime at a 150ft/min clip.. (or about double that at slower speeds) and if you connect 3 of them, you get a ridiculous almost 400 minutes burn time at 150ft/min.. and keep going adding more batts..

Charging time is 6 hours, but if you add batteries, you can charge them all individually, making the charge time for 3 batteries still 6 hours for a 6 hour runtime.. CRAZY! I know :)

The DiveX P1 has really delivered everything I wanted and more.

Speed is the same as my Cuda 400, but has longer burn time and more batteries can be added later.. about half the weight and size...

the new grip is super comfy and it comes with programmable electronics so you get to choose your start speed and gear selections, etc.

its very small package and super light and weighs in at amazing featherweight of about 24lbs including the battery..

The scoot is pre-weighted at the factory for salt and fresh water and you can easily add/remove included stainless steel weight plates that make it perfect in fresh or salt water in 10 seconds.. no mess, no fuss..

additionally, they added a small little lead shot cubby hole covered with plate to remove or add some lead shot if you are adding a camera or taking it to super salty water..

so far I have been incredibly impressed.

The clincher for me was the fact that the factory is in Mukilteo and its 45mins from my house... I went to the DiveX factory to do my pickup and got the factory tour (Again) :)

You are welcome to take mine out for a spin!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:I just bought a new generation DiveX Piranah P1 last week and took it on a Deception Pass dive the weekend!
I knew you couldn't last without a scooter.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have to take a look at those Genesis scooters mentioned here. Right now the most appealing is the Minnus. I used to have a Cuda, but the size/weight just made it not fun for me (already diving with a large camera). If I can find a small and fairly light scooter it would be something I'd consider going back to.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Great input everyone, definitely turning into an epic Scooter thread.

Thanks for the offer kdupreez. Will have to make my way up for one of the WWW events or a mid-week tweak and see if that offer is still good.

Scooter will have to wait another month now (maybe more) as I am gearing up for a class in september and that gear is eating up the dive fund!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Tangfish wrote:I have to take a look at those Genesis scooters mentioned here. Right now the most appealing is the Minnus. I used to have a Cuda, but the size/weight just made it not fun for me (already diving with a large camera). If I can find a small and fairly light scooter it would be something I'd consider going back to.
Sounds like you'd be looking for something like the DiveX Pirahna. It's tiny and only weighs 25 pounds
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Tangfish wrote:I have to take a look at those Genesis scooters mentioned here. Right now the most appealing is the Minnus. I used to have a Cuda, but the size/weight just made it not fun for me (already diving with a large camera). If I can find a small and fairly light scooter it would be something I'd consider going back to.
Genesis all the way if you have the money.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The lack of a shaft seal via the magnetic coupling/clutch on the genesis is pure genius. The shroud is also smaller as the prop is actually designed for the motor instead of the antiquated Mako prop design.
GearHead
Submariner

Scooters. What do you have? Your likes and dislikes?

Post by GearHead »

If I had the money, a Genesis 600 would be my next scoot. I also like how the duct is properly designed to provide forward thrust. The Pirahna would be a close second.
As is, I'm currently building a LiFePO4 battery for my project. 25.6 V, 24 Ah, 614 Wh
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438282304.013930.jpg
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeremy wrote:
Sounds like you'd be looking for something like the DiveX Pirahna. It's tiny and only weighs 25 pounds
+1 this thing is tiny and packs a serious punch plus if you need extra runtime over the already 2 hours, you simply stack on batteries..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

25lbs sounds good to me!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

During research on: scooter batteries; motor controllers; and, motors.....I found this old thread and wanted to chime in on the Genesis DPV.

I've dove a Genesis 1200, Magnus, Sierra, Gavin, and Hollis H-160. Hands down, I prefer the Genesis. The weight is cumbersome, but it seems to be standard size throughout its "class" (more weight more power). The throttle (yes, true variable throttle) is a beautiful feature that should have come a long time ago. The max thrust is painful on the crotch (and I've seen two move an anchor forward, in current, and at depth, amazing). The magnetic prop removes the major weak point for a leak (rebuilding the tail end is a pain on the old DPV style). Also, charging the batteries without removing the hull only adds to how freaking sweet that thing is.