Dive Lights - Dusty's lights?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
waterproofboat
Just Settling In

Dive Lights - Dusty's lights?

Post by waterproofboat »

I'm looking a primary light for diving in PNW. I came across the Dusty's light and was wondering if anyone has used them. If so would you recommend them and what configuration would you get? The price seems like a good deal but I'm wondering if it will last or if I should just spend the money for a Light Monkey light.
"be like water" ~Bruce Lee
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Lights - Dusty's lights?

Post by CaptnJack »

Lots of people here use them and are pretty much universally pleased. I would suggest the double sized battery option.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

It's a good starter can.... but I'm moving to a higher end unit shortly.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

KneeDeep wrote:It's a good starter can.... but I'm moving to a higher end unit shortly.
Likes, dislikes?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Dusty lights are very popular here in the PNW. I have a 12w led Light Monkey, and the Dusty lights are brighter, whiter, penetrate further, for about half the cost. My next light will be a Dusty light. There are better lights but for 5 times the cost. Maybe if I can just buy that winning lotto ticket I will jumt to the Halcyon HID....Just my two PSI!!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

xBabyJesus wrote:
KneeDeep wrote:It's a good starter can.... but I'm moving to a higher end unit shortly.
Likes, dislikes?

I had one for 3 three years, it was great.

Likes: cheap, super bright, batteries are inexpensive and easy to charge (they are RC batteries), can get two recreational dives pretty consistently out of one charge, goodman handle

Dislikes: didn't care for the SOS flashing light setting which happens when the battery gets low, super crazy looking in a cave :)

I needed my light serviced twice over the three year span and Dusty was very responsive and reasonable

Ultimately I outgrew the Dusty light and sold it for $200 bucks or so...so I'd say I definitely got my money's worth out of the three years I had it. Probably put 300 dives on it.

Now I have a Halcyon Focus. It's a better light but costs more $$$$
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Gdog wrote:Maybe if I can just buy that winning lotto ticket I will jumt to the Halcyon HID....Just my two PSI!!
Halcyon HID's are quite cheap these days, especially used. People are switching to the LED Focus which is more robust and brigher.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Jeremy wrote: Now I have a Halcyon Focus. It's a better light but costs more $$$$
How does it compare in brightness? Just curious, because I thought I read the Focus is like 1000 lumens.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

IMHO...
Ignore all marketing claims about lumens, they are never measured consistently and are a terrible barometer of "brightness" despite their theoretical consistency/reproducibility.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have a dusty light I bought to tide me over while my LM 35w HID was in the shop.

I have the higher cap 5 hour battery. Only thing I dont like about my light, was the original goodman handle broke first use while I was strapping on bail out tanks. The plastic holder, that holds the light to the goodman handle. Replaced that with a solid 00wabbit one from scubaboard, and it'll never break again.

The Dusty light is a broader beam than my HID.

Overall its a great backup light if my HID goes down. But my go to is always my LM 35w HID.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

For the price it is an incredible buy. :joshsmith: Works great in the NW, batteries are cheap, charging is easy, reliable-this is one light I simply don't worry about having problems with reasonable precautions. Did I mention the batteries are cheap? :taco: Try that with ANY other can light.
And I'm still on my first set of 2012 batteries that get used almost every week, so even they hold up. IMO the extra cost for the long run battery is not much necessary for 1-2 tank recreational diving, but that's an opinion. When the originals die in 2-4 more years I might get one.

There are people here that have some needs for a more 'exceptional' light but if you are looking for your first decent primary you simply cannot go wrong with a Dusty. You can do better, sure, for 2-6x the cost. On any given dive probably 1/4 of the people I dive with have one. I have gone to a soft Goodman but my wife still prefers the original.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

xBabyJesus wrote:
Jeremy wrote: Now I have a Halcyon Focus. It's a better light but costs more $$$$
How does it compare in brightness? Just curious, because I thought I read the Focus is like 1000 lumens.
The Focus is considerably brighter than my Dusty Light.

But Dusty Lights are definitely bright and wonderful lights
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

YellowEye's awesome and let's me borrow his Dustys light, it's so fantastic! I highly recommend it! :)
Super easy to charge and it works great!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

My wife and I both use them and love them. You can't go wrong with a Dusty's Light.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I have quite a bit of dives on my Dusty light and been very deep with it. Backup batteries are like 50.00 and charging is simple. I have borrowed some bad ass lights in my day and for me to spend 3 to 4 times the money for a light, it had better be apples and oranges, well to date I have not been convinced otherwise.
I have had mine for years, and many many dives. Once I shut my cord in my trunk without my knowledge and flooded the light. Sent it to Dusty, had it back within a week, all repairs done at minimal cost.

The canisters are not black though so be careful out there.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**