Worthington vs. Faber Tanks

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Worthington vs. Faber Tanks

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Hey guys

I just purchased an HP100 Faber Steel Tank from UWS during their Scubafest. I didn't realize at the time but when I got home and set the Faber tank next to my HP100 Worthington Steel Tank, Faber tank was considerably taller and wider. I guess it was my fault for assuming all HP100's were going to be same size. I did a quick search and Faber tanks seem to be more popular because Worthingtons have some hydro issues?

What do you guys prefer? I don't know too much about tanks but I actually prefer the smaller tank because they are lighter and hold the same amount of air. Should I return the Faber one and try to get another Worthington?
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Worthington vs. Faber Tanks

Post by Desert Diver »

Worthingtons are not built anymore. I don't think you will find any. Fabers work fine.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Worthingtons are a lot better than Fabers because of their buoyancy characteristics.

But good luck finding a worthington...they get snapped up within hours
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Dang it... I knew I should have bought one more before they were discontinued...

Call me weird, but I just want two of the same sized tanks. I either want two Worthington's or two Faber's. Not one of each. Do you think it would be easier to return the Faber and try to pick up a used Worthington for $300 or would it be easier to sell the Worthington (2 yrs old) for similiar amount and just pick up another Faber?
Last edited by Iqjumpuw on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Faber
Weight Empty= 34 lbs
Buoyancy Full = -8.41 lbs
Buoyancy Empty = -0.59 lbs

vs.

Worthington
Weight Empty= 33.1 lbs
Buoyancy Full = -10.00 lbs
Buoyancy Empty = -2.50 lbs

Hmmm...
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Probably easier to sell the Worthington these days. I've got a pair of Worthingtons, which are nice for shallower dives. I also have a pair of Fabers that I doubled up. Both are good tanks. The Fabers aren't quite as negative as they get near empty, but I think they actually hold a little more gas. Perhaps 104 Cuft instead of 100.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Rats. I'm trying to do the same thing, find a match for the Worthington HP100 that I already have (a lovely tank, as cylinders go).

...Was wondering why I couldn't find another...

:crybaby:
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

I have heard that Worthington tanks may have hydro issues though. I just got VIP done at UWS and they told me I had to get it tumbled even though the tank is only 2 years old. They said it wasn't too badly rusted but still recommended the tumble so I paid for it.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

The rusting would be unrelated to any hydro issues. I'd double check the quality of your tank fills.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

60south wrote:The rusting would be unrelated to any hydro issues. I'd double check the quality of your tank fills.
My bad, I wasn't trying to say they were related. Reading back what I posted, it does sound like that's what I said though.

I got my tanks filled mostly at the Lynnwood Lighthouse Dive and sometimes at UWS in Seattle.
waterproofboat
Just Settling In

Post by waterproofboat »

how about i'll go pick up a faber hp 100 tomorrow and we trade for your worthington? :P
"be like water" ~Bruce Lee
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Hmm... I might seriously consider that. How much do they sell for anyway? I couldn't find anything on Craigslist...
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Those little rust spots are annoying! If you have air that has a -65 deg dewpoint at atmospheric pressure the dewpoint at 3500 PSI is 43 degrees. Not hard for us to get condensation and I suppose the nitrox doesn't help things.