Help with choices on custom DUI Drysuit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
nv77
Frequent Bubbler

Help with choices on custom DUI Drysuit

Post by nv77 »

I’d love people’s opinions!
I’m finalizing my order for a DUI TLS350 Signature drysuit and would like some input. The three things I’m unsure of are neck ring, dry glove set up and pocket choice.
Neck ring – G1 or G2? I’m a short woman with and dive a plate & wing. The G2 ring seems less stiff but I like silicone seals and those are not available with G2.
Gloves: I do want seals and dry gloves? One option is the zip seal set up and add rings to the seal. (I don’t think I would like having the glove attached while I’m dressing). The other option is the Si-5 system.
For pockets the choice is the Cargo Pocket, Zipper pocket with Knife sheath, or Bellows Pocket. I’m on the short side but would like the larger pockets. The web site suggest the smaller for my height. I like the idea of the knife sheath on the pocket but I always wear dry gloves and worry about opening the zipper.
Any opinions and why would help. Thanks!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Help with choices on custom DUI Drysuit

Post by ljjames »

I'm incredibly happy with: (on both my DUI suits)

Zip seals on neck and wrists (they've saved my ass numerous times) I have G1 but thats cause it was all that was available when i got my suits. If you choose to do ring system + zip seals some folks have recommended having the arms a little shorter. I just wear wet gloves in summer, attached zip dry gloves in winter... I've tried a lot of variables and just keep coming back to that :)

Bellows pocket (Big Ass Pockets) Velcro wins, easy to get into/out of. I'm short-ish and they are fine. Zippers get hard to open, corrosion/salt,etc...
Crotch pad cloverleaf cause walking/swimming with BP/W crotch strap between your legs puts wear on your suit.

In the rare occasion you need a knife, having a little blunt one on your waist belt is more functional/accessible. A z-knife tucked away somewhere too never hurts. The only time i've used a knife out here in a lot of years of diving was the flat tip as a screwdiver to turn on the SOLA4000 when i'd left it in airplane safe mode and there was the one time we used a z-knife to remove a bobber stuck on an octopus via fishing line.

When they recommend getting it to fit the 'thickest' undergarment you will wear, that is really really good advice. I can't tell you how many folks i know who got fancy slim cut suits and then after they stopped moving so much as they got more comfortable, got cold and soon found themselves trying to stuff 400g thinsulate under it and/or needed that extra room for a bit of bioprene after holiday feasting. :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Do not get zip gloves. Those things are terrible around here. You'll be on a charter or private boat and want to be zipped into your suit but can't without also having those damn $$$ gloves on. Various cuff systems can be fitted onto the latex or silicon zip seals. Go with those.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

+1 to both LJ and Captn.

Zip seals are worth it and I made the switch to the silicone ones and won't go back. Zip seals save a lot of aggravation if you get a leak because it's a quick fix and don't have to lose a day of diving because of a leaky seal. And I prefer the silicone to the latex seals. While they're more expensive and a bit more fragile than the latex seals, they're far more resistant to the effects of salt water and sun. I've found them to be far more resilient. Mine look as if they're in the same new condition as when I first installed them and that was over a year and 300 dives ago.

In terms of Dry Gloves, I recommend them for around here but recommend an aftermarket cuff system versus the zip dry gloves. I have the silicone zip-seals on the wrist and just fit the Si-Tech pressure cuffs for my dry gloves. It works great and it's far more convenient to just have the seals and then put on your gloves after you're in the suit and ready to go so you're not trying to fumble around with the dry gloves on.

As for pockets, bellows or zippered, it's really personal preference. The velcro bellows pocket give you the biggest amount of storage but the velcro will wear down over time and become less secure. The zipper pockets are nice because they're quite large and fit a good amount, and the zipper helps make sure everything is really secure. But as LJ said, the zippers can be difficult to open. I have the zipper pockets with plastic zippers and they're great, but can be a bit finicky to open underwater at times especially in limited viz.--> If I could suggest one thing it's to get pockets on both sides. It's just just for the purely OCD aestetic aspect, but it allows for twice the storage and an even balance.
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

Neck seal: G1 silicon is really nice on the neck skin. I have one suit with the G2 and the slightly larger ring doesn't justify the loss of silicon

Wrists: I love zipseals and i love the convenience of zipgloves. Loss of dexterity can be overcome quickly after a few dives.
If you want a ring system consider the Scubaforce rings I addition to the SI tech, and in case of the latter use the quick glove system, the other is a bit fragile.
As pointed out, if planning to use a ring system have the sleeves shortened 2 inches

Pockets: Bellow pockets. The zippered ones are hard to use and smaller. The Velcro will outlast the suit in most cases.

Boots: I love the convenience of the tech turbosoles, but when they get consumed you will need to send the suit in while with rock boots you just buy a new pair.

I like the refractive strips on the cuffs to increase visibility

The crotch cloverleaf is useful only for scooter diving otherwise it only adds stiffness where least comfortable

Knee pads standard, the extra length is hardly useful

Get the 11mm hood which is really nice and warm

If your frame is really small, you might want to consider a back zipper instead of the front zipper for more comfort

dd