Renting Wetsuit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Terrance
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Renting Wetsuit

Post by Terrance »

I'm new to freediving and will be taking the PFI beginners course in Lakewood Oct 2-4. They require a wetsuit for pool and ocean session.

Can someone recommend a good place to rent a wetsuit? I want to try some wetsuits in the water before deciding which one I will eventually buy.

Also I'm looking to buy weights for my belt. Any recommendations there?
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Re: Renting Wetsuit

Post by johndo88 »

Your local dive store (LDS) can help for both the weight and the wetsuit. In no particular order, look up Underwater Sports - Tacoma store. TLSEA, Tacoma SCUBA, and I believe Lighthouse Divers Supply has a store in Tacoma too. In addition, Underwater Sports has a store in Federal Way. There may be other dive shops near you that I'm missing.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Yes, Lighthouse has a Tacoma shop, 25th and Pacific...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Local south sound dive shops have already been listed above, and most should be able to get you outfitted with a wetsuit suitable for PNW waters. That being said, I understand that freedivers may use suits that are designed differently than the suits used for scuba (I don't freedive, so don't take this as gospel).

I would strongly recommend waiting until you have a chance to discuss proper gear with your instructor before investing in a new suit.

Regarding weights/weight belts: I prefer this style of weights
traditional-scuba-weight_belt.jpg
individual-scuba-weights.jpg
individual-scuba-weights.jpg (15.12 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
seapearl-vinyl-coated-weight_1.jpg
plomb-plastifie-sea-pearl.jpg
I have found that this style (where the belt is fed through the center of the weight) to be more uncomfortable to wear, as the weights tend to press into and bruise my hip bones.
606445466_tp.jpg
606445466_tp.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Good luck, be safe and have fun.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

I agree with MPenders to discuss what kind of suit you'll need with Chris. If you are going to embrace the free diving way of life their is a specific type of suit used for freediving. Chris can be reached at
Email: chris@phase3freediving.com
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"