Faber tanks?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Faber tanks?

Post by Snidely »

What does everyone and anyone think of the Faber fx100 (their hp 100 tank) the white one that comes with a Faber valve? Found them for about $300 new plus $45 shipping and my lds will viz and fill free.

Thanks
Alex
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Faber tanks?

Post by CaptnJack »

If its the 3442psi tank they are fine as doubles or singles.

The 3180+ tanks are ghastly heavy but can be good for singles as you barely need a weight belt.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

CaptnJack wrote:If its the 3442psi tank they are fine as doubles or singles.

The 3180+ tanks are ghastly heavy but can be good for singles as you barely need a weight belt.

its the 3442psi tank.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

What are your concerns about them? fx100s are popular tanks
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Sounds like a good deal. Do you really need our approval before buying?
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Pretty smart to run things by Northwest Dive Club to see if any red flags come up. Like the 3180 Fabers. With the + rating they are about the same pressure as the 3442 tanks but as Captn Jack says they are terribly heavy things. I did one dive with mine and didn't like the way it rocked around on my back and also didn't like getting it out of the truck. Anybody wants it, it is for sale.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

I have heard that the valves they come with are not the best but only heard that from one source and wanted to see if anyone else heard that.

Thanks for the info.

Just placed my order for one :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The bluesteel valves (which possibly come with those) are definitely not my favorite. They take crush washers under the bonnet nut. That is a disposable washer that must be removed (not so easy) and replaced ($) every time you open the valve.

Valves with Oring sealed bonnet nuts are much nicer.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Here's another idea....
There's a nice set of Faber double 100's for sale on the Rain City Scuba Facebook site for $525. Purchase those, break them apart and pick up a set of Thermo pro valves to put on them. You can sell the bands, manifold and valves or keep them for when you start diving doubles.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Doesn't need new valves just plug the L/R sides and leave the isolator on the shelf. Search for Kimber Chard he's selling them. Not sure if he's on this board.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

CaptnJack wrote:Doesn't need new valves just plug the L/R sides and leave the isolator on the shelf. Search for Kimber Chard he's selling them. Not sure if he's on this board.
Or.. You could take the valves, manifold and bands off and swap them with me for two pro valves. :highfive: \:D/
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Check the tanks when you get them. My wife ordered some awhile back, and they shipped from 2 locations, one they sent the correct fx tank, the other tank sent the heavy mid pressure hp100. They exchanged and ate the shipping. But that tanks first use was a loaner, and yeah, the person that borrowed it was way overweighted. They got retired to my SM tanks though, cause the wife is short and prefers Worthington tanks... I like them, other than I baby them to try not to scratch them.
They are similar to my PST tanks in buoyancy characteristic, and theoretically similar negative weight when they are empty.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Rooinater wrote:Check the tanks when you get them. My wife ordered some awhile back, and they shipped from 2 locations, one they sent the correct fx tank, the other tank sent the heavy mid pressure hp100. They exchanged and ate the shipping. But that tanks first use was a loaner, and yeah, the person that borrowed it was way overweighted. They got retired to my SM tanks though, cause the wife is short and prefers Worthington tanks... I like them, other than I baby them to try not to scratch them.
They are similar to my PST tanks in buoyancy characteristic, and theoretically similar negative weight when they are empty.

Is it easy to tell the difference in the two tanks?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Snidely wrote:
Rooinater wrote:Check the tanks when you get them. My wife ordered some awhile back, and they shipped from 2 locations, one they sent the correct fx tank, the other tank sent the heavy mid pressure hp100. They exchanged and ate the shipping. But that tanks first use was a loaner, and yeah, the person that borrowed it was way overweighted. They got retired to my SM tanks though, cause the wife is short and prefers Worthington tanks... I like them, other than I baby them to try not to scratch them.

Is it easy to tell the difference in the two tanks?

Rated pressure is stamped on the tank.

HP = 3442
LP = 2400
MP = 3180 (i think?)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

That stamped pressure as stated, and the height is visually shorter by an inch or so on the 3180 tanks.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The 2400+psi and 3180+ psi tanks are both built to the 3AA standard. So you will see "3AA" right at the beginning of a long string of characters.

3442 psi tanks are exemption tanks, but "DOT-E 13488-3442" is a bit hard to jump out at you. The 13488 is their exemption number.

If there is a + anywhere on the tank its a not from the lighter weight high pressure FX series.