Al vs SS Backplate?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Al vs SS Backplate?

Post by Linedog »

Other than the obvious weight difference, is there a reason to chose a SS backplate over an aAL one?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Al vs SS Backplate?

Post by CaptnJack »

SS for cold water
AL for warm and travel

One reason is that different exposure suits will have different harness sizing and you can trim the warm water AL harness down to fit your (thin) wetsuit and leave the harness on the SS plate sized for your drysuit and undies.

AL plates are pretty cheap, SS only a small amount more. You can use the same singles wing for both. Typically a smaller wing is used for warm water AL80 doubles vs a larger wing on 8" steel tanks used locally.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I'm putting together a pair of doubles (my first, thank you) but worried about the load on my back at entry and exit. With a single tank I use a SS backplate, no problem. For the doubles -- steel HP 100s -- I'm thinking of AL to reduce the weight. Is this a normal practice?

I'm concerned enough that I may eventually go sidemount ... just not yet ready to spring for a sidemount BCD.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I would not call that normal practice. I have always heard it like the Capt says. would the weight you drop by going to AL really be substantial enough to give your back a break?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Chances are that with double steel HP 100s, you might still need some extra weight. This could be in the form of a V-weight between the tanks or on a belt, depending on what you need for trim. Either way, a steel backplate would be the way to go.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

60south wrote:I'm putting together a pair of doubles (my first, thank you) but worried about the load on my back at entry and exit. With a single tank I use a SS backplate, no problem. For the doubles -- steel HP 100s -- I'm thinking of AL to reduce the weight. Is this a normal practice?

I'm concerned enough that I may eventually go sidemount ... just not yet ready to spring for a sidemount BCD.

If the HP100 is 1lb negative when empty, adding a second tank will only decrease the amount of lead you need on your weight belt ( or harness, ankles, etc.) by another 1lb. Add in the weight of the manifold and bands (and 2nd first stage!), and you might have 4-5lbs additional negative buoyancy - compared to diving the single HP100. The upshot is: you get to carry an additional 35-40lbs of tank+accessories at entry/exit, but only get to remove 4-5lbs from your weight belt. Maybe more/less depending on which singles tank you currently dive.

Putting the weight in the right place(s) to optimize trim might be the real trick. Using an AL plate instead of a SS plate might make it easier for you to do that. Then again, maybe not.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote:I'm putting together a pair of doubles (my first, thank you) but worried about the load on my back at entry and exit. With a single tank I use a SS backplate, no problem. For the doubles -- steel HP 100s -- I'm thinking of AL to reduce the weight. Is this a normal practice?

A SS plate is 4lbs heavier than an AL plate. This is about 3 to 5% of the weight of a set of doubles. So in the big picture you aren't going to save your back by using a lighter plate. Depending on you, the doubles and your suit, you may even need to add lead as a V or tail weight anyway. I would go with a SS plate and figure out how to get the doubles on without hurting your back (no twisting, bend from the hips not the knees, etc.) May people use an Xtable from home depot, but pickup truck tailgates work well too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I use an AL plate for my doubles and a SS plate on my singles rig. Long-story-short I had intended to use the AL plate for travel only but I got tired of taking apart and re-assembling my singles rig. I wear a weight belt like keeping my doubles rig a bit lighter - It allows me to lift them on my boats gear stand and kit-up by myself (although the additional 4 lbs for a SS plate wouldn't plate that much of a difference).
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I dive a HP130, I carry a fair amount of weight anyhow. Would the Al backplate flex or would it hold up with the wight of a 130?
Pop tarts and gravy,
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Linedog wrote:I dive a HP130, I carry a fair amount of weight anyhow. Would the Al backplate flex or would it hold up with the wight of a 130?
I use mine with double 119's so it should be fine with a single 130. I'd suggest a single tank adaptor, not because of the AL plate - They just keep a single tank from shifting on the plate.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks.
Pop tarts and gravy,