New Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: New Fins

Post by deep diver »

Sorry to hear about the smash and grab, deep diver. Grrrrr. Maybe let us know what brand/model gear was stolen so folks here can keep an eye out for it on Craigslist?[/quote]

Keith is planning to post as soon as he gets a list going. Horrible, 5am and only gone for a few minutes. Creeps!
It's a good day.... nobody died!
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

I cringe at all the split fin hate and misinformation.

It's a myth that split fins stir up more silt than paddle fins. Kicking hard towards the bottom stirs up silt, regardless of the fin. It's just easier to do so in a split fin, because, well, it's easier to kick hard in a split fin and split fins are more efficient at directing water towards the end of the fin for propulsion. Any silt-stirring is due to poor trim (along with resulting angle of the kick) and general technique.

The flutter kick is the most efficient kick there is, and combined with split fins along with some experience, make for the most efficient, silt-free diving in 95% of recreational diving. That last 5% where split fins don't excel in have to do with fine, precise movements, where the softer split fins don't perform as well.

Whether having an edge in that 5% of diving makes up for something less efficient for the rest of the 95% is a personal decision.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

If you are not diving these, you are doing it wrong

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think that split fins are connected to silt stir due to the relation of the style of kick that splits are more used for. I have tried frog, backwards and butterfly in splits and although not impossible to do so, definitely not the proper tool for the job.
I don't scowl at a person that went with split fins over blade but if someone asks an opinion on a fin I would always go with blade as it seems that many divers (especially in this area) tend to sway towards the frog kick eventually.

Just my 2 psi
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Jess, what is your shoe size. My wife dives with F1 fins and I can arrange for you to borrow them for a dive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

deep diver wrote:Was going to dive yesterday, but Keith's camera was a victim of smash and grab while he went in for coffee yesterday morning :angry:
Must be Christmas time!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jess, I highly recommend the Hollis F-1's I dove nothing but splits till I got my F1's and I would never go back. I was nothing but photography and I loved the effortless control they gave me! They come standard with the spring straps and that too is something I would never dive without!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Hey Rich!!!
My Dusty light worked great in Cali, thanks again for fixing it. :)
I will have to try out these F-1's.

Hello John,
I have big feet, plus my Weezle Booties, I have a size 9 in men's DUI Rock Boots. I'd love to try those out if they will fit, but I'm guessing your wife has tiny feet. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

She dives with a size Large F1 fin, it might fit.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good to hear you like your new light! Glad to hear your trip went well. Looking forward to seeing some pix. F-1's have very generous foot pockets so I would think a size large would work for you.