New Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

New Fins

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!
I hope you've all had some great dives lately! :eric:
I just got home from a 6 day diving adventure in the Channel Islands on the Truth Aquatics Vision live aboard. It was so much fun! Spectacular viz and sea critters! :partydance: So many nice fish sea lions, lobsters, brittle stars, colorful corals and kelp forests! Pics and more recap to come soon. :joshsmith:

Now to the bad part! I broke one of my split fins on dive #2 :eek: of 17 dives. Luckily a co diver had an extra set I could borrow!! He saved my trip! :notworthy: . I just got new DUI rock boots right before I left and they are a bit bigger then my old rock boots.
My spring straps had a hard time fitting over them.

So I now need a new set. Any recommendations? I've only ever used atomic split fins. I really want some with a spring attached. They look much easier to put on.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
GearHead
Submariner

Re: New Fins

Post by GearHead »

I happen to have a pair of red Atomic split fins in size L with spring straps that I don't use anymore. (Too small for my drysuit boots.) These and the Mares Raptors are the stiffest of the split designs, and not bad for frog kicks and helicopter turns. Still a bit weak for back kick, though.
You might try a set of blade fins to see if those can help you hold position better for photography. There are many to choose from.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I am a big fan of the Apollo BioFin, without a spring strap. The rubber strap and buckle is the best I've seen, easy to detach while hanging on a ladder or put on while floating in three feet on a shore dive. The BioFins are also stiff and robust enough for strong current dives, and the pocket is flexible enough to form up to your tropical booty or dry suit boot.
Dave
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I must beg to differ regarding the Biofins. They are the most floppy of all the split fin designs, and are pretty much useless for anything but flutter kicking. I bought a pair and hated them. Photographers wearing such floppy fins have a difficult time holding a still position without digging their fins into the bottom. They are also terrible at kicking up silt.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I had the bio fins too. They worked okay for scissor/flutter kicking to move straight ahead. They did not perform well for frog kicking, and were nearly useless for back kicks and helicopter turns. I also found that they excelled at silting up a site.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Lots of good fins out there.

My favs are the F1's.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

ScubaJess wrote:Hello Everyone!
I hope you've all had some great dives lately! :eric:
I just got home from a 6 day diving adventure in the Channel Islands on the Truth Aquatics Vision live aboard. It was so much fun! Spectacular viz and sea critters! :partydance: So many nice fish sea lions, lobsters, brittle stars, colorful corals and kelp forests! Pics and more recap to come soon. :joshsmith:

Now to the bad part! I broke one of my split fins on dive #2 :eek: of 17 dives. Luckily a co diver had an extra set I could borrow!! He saved my trip! :notworthy: . I just got new DUI rock boots right before I left and they are a bit bigger then my old rock boots.
My spring straps had a hard time fitting over them.

So I now need a new set. Any recommendations? I've only ever used atomic split fins. I really want some with a spring attached. They look much easier to put on.
What kind of diving will you be doing?

Precision helicoptor turns? Back kicks? Frog kicks? Then get a nice set of blade fins.

Do you plan to flutter kick almost all the time? Are you okay with kicking up some silt behind you? Then get some split fins.

Spring straps in either case is the way to go.

imo
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I'm into photography so whatever is best to not silt up sounds great!!
I've had my split fins since I started last year since that is what they sold me with my OW package. But I'm open to change.
I think I will get the DiverBob one's as a back up set if they fit and hopefully try out some other new kind too. :)
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

ScubaJess wrote:I'm into photography so whatever is best to not silt up sounds great!!
I've had my split fins since I started last year since that is what they sold me with my OW package. But I'm open to change.
I think I will get the DiverBob one's as a back up set if they fit and hopefully try out some other new kind too. :)
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Awesome! I remember I also had a set of bio fins out of open water and dove them for at least two years. I developed some very bad kicking habits so when I switched to blade fins for the first time I absolutely hated them. After 4 or 5 dives I began to get the hang of them and now I can't imagine diving split fins again.

Don't sweat it too much if your first couple of dives in blade fins aren't fun. :)

I sold my bio fins on Craigslist for $25 :)
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

One other thing...I think for the majority of divers it doesn't matter much. It's mainly an issue that comes up if you are working into precision kicking or not
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

One of my favorite photog's uses splits and kicks up less silt than most paddle fin divers I know... even when swimming. If you don't believe me, go diving with Jen V. sometime. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MossyheadUnderwater I'm not posting this to be completely contrary, I just get tired of folks saying you need X gear or Y class to hold still in water for shooting pictures or not silt stuff up or swim fast enough to keep up with a paddle fin diver...

That said, personally I hate split fins (I had a set, donated them to Goodwill's 'breakup for good' campaign) and i have always adored paddle fins. I don't like F1's because the plastic doesn't have the same feel in the water as the rubber in the Jet fins, I don't feel they have the same finesse as the Jets, because the taper of the rubber in the tips of Jet fins allow for tiny tiny flick-of-the-fin movements. Also I'm a spring strap kinda girl. I have never met a standard strap that compared.

There are a enough folks kicking around here that could likely lone you a set for a few dives. As Jeremy mentions, you may not love another type of fins immediately so take them for a couple dives before deciding, and also sometimes the boot/fin/springer combo needs to be refined a bit (wrong combo can be utterly miserable).
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Wow, you'd think the BioFins killed someones grandma.. :angry:

I'm not really sure how one type of fin can create more silt than another. If you have poor technique and touch or jet the bottom you are going to make silt with any style of fin. Personally I like the natural rubber and great fin straps as I dislike springs. To each their own!
Last edited by dlh on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I've dove with Jen V and her split fins. She silted out Deception Pass so bad that it took me 50 minutes to find her again
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

The splits seem to generate some kind of vortex squirl super silt hurricane with their action in the water even several feet above the bottom. While blades can do the same, it doesnt seem as bad. Also seem to do better at frog kicks. Hollis F-1 would be my recommendation Jess. You wont miss the splits!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Skip the fins altogether and buy a scooter :-)
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I have a set of F1's and they are nice. If you get a pair they will be a bit of an adjustment from your atomic splits - they are about 3X heavier.

I picked up a set of hog blades for travel and I find that I wear them about 80% of the time for Puget Sound dives now. They are shorter and lighter than the F1's with a really thick side profile which helps with back and helicopter kicks.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/hog-tech-2-fin.html
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Another option to consider is the Dive Rite XT fins. They are light weight and comfortable and easy to use with built in spring straps. I had to adjust my tank down a little bit (for trim) because they are lighter than my F1's were. The only reason I traded out of my F1's was because I bought a new dry suit and the built in boots were a size smaller than my rock boots for my previous suit.

Good luck in your Ford/Chevy/Dodge quest... :)

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dive-rite-xt-fins
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Hi Jess,

I've been using the mares power plana for years although I have upgraded to the new style that they have available now. They are a little heavier fin, extremely fast and strong for flutter kicks. They work better than anything else I've tried for frog kicks. For backing and turns it takes little or no effort to complete them. If you are in current and need to stick your fins in the sand to hold in place for your picks these fins are stiffer than a split fin. I have tried different style of split fins and have never have found any with the power that these fins have. The one thing wrong is they do not come with spring straps, they come with a rubber bungee cord that I had never seen before. I did replace mine with a spring strap.
Good hunting, hope you find something that works for you.

http://www.mares.com/products/fins/open ... 7/?region=
It's a good day.... nobody died!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks Dale! I miss seeing your posts. Been diving lately? :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

ScubaJess wrote:Thanks Dale! I miss seeing your posts. Been diving lately? :)
He is on his way to triton cove as we speak :calvin:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Ooh lucky!!! That's great! :)
Have fun!! & stay warm! I'm on land this weekend because my parents are in town and my gear is in service :(
I miss the shrimp so much!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Was going to dive yesterday, but Keith's camera was a victim of smash and grab while he went in for coffee yesterday morning :angry:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Ooh no!!!! I'm so sorry to hear that! Some people are so horrible! :(
Live Long And Prosper!!!

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

oh no, terrible news! :( :(
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Another vote for the F1s here. Jess, what size boot do you wear? I'm guessing you'll need size XL.

Sorry to hear about the smash and grab, deep diver. Grrrrr. Maybe let us know what brand/model gear was stolen so folks here can keep an eye out for it on Craigslist?