Backup light issues

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Backup light issues

Post by Cupronickel »

I have a DRIS 1000 lumen dive light as a back up light (http://www.diverightinscuba.com/lightsr ... fgodHXIKbg), sorry long link. Anyways it has a twist on/off function, and on two or three occasions it has come on by itself at depth. These flashlights dont twist on/off too easily so I doubt its rubbing againt something causing it to turn on. Anyone else use this light and have this issue? Is it related to the type of switch this light uses?
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Backup light issues

Post by mpenders »

Try untwisting it just a little bit more when you turn it to off. The increasing pressure at depth will sometime compress the head enough to complete the circuit, causing it to turn on.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Agree, the pressure is compressing the light enough to establish contact.
Are you lubing the O-ring with decent silicone grease? IMO Trident isn't.....the last stuff I got was slippery cottage cheese.
Not a bad idea to open it up once in awhile, check everything, and re-lube.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

+1 Just untwist it a bit more. It's the pressure at depth that turns it on.
I have had this issue with this specific light and other twist on lights. Certainly nothing uncommon and nothing an attentive buddy can't fix for you :)
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Post by Cupronickel »

Thanks for the replies guys, will do.
bm5w wrote:+1 Just untwist it a bit more. It's the pressure at depth that turns it on.
I have had this issue with this specific light and other twist on lights. Certainly nothing uncommon and nothing an attentive buddy can't fix for you :)
Funny you should mention this, Ive had a buddy turn it off underwater before.
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

With my twist on lights after I turn them off I usually press in on the head to see if that will turn on the light if it does I undo it a little bit more. There is a fine line between having it unscrewed enough to be turned off and having it unscrewed too far and flooding. I have had some well meaning dive buddies turn off my screw on lights at depth only to find out that once I ascended and the pressure reduced it ended up flooding the light. Gets a little expensive when you have to start replacing LED light modules.

Mike
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The amount of twist to turn it off should be minor, like 1/4-1/2 turn. The light should not be so touchy that a whole turn makes it leak if it was just at the point of turning on.
FWIW I went through 3 UK SL3 (3 C-cells) before I got one that did not 'weep', say maybe a drop or 2 on a dive. None ever flooded. I'd just find corrosion and damage after several months of non-use diving (not a battery problem). UK always made it right and the current one is over 2 years old and just fine. I open it up every month or 2 to check it, recharge the batteries. and clean+lube the O-ring.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.