Gear bag for travel?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
da_jab
Aquaphile

Gear bag for travel?

Post by da_jab »

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a gear bag for travel, possibly a rolling duffle type. So any suggestions on brands? Scuba branded bags are a no go, since I don't want to advertise that I have expensive equipment with me.

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Go to REI, they have a terrific selection and they're in Redmond near where you're staying.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Travel Bag

Post by Dave »

Hey J, check this out

http://www.unrealfind.com/Merchant2/mer ... bag_roller

I have shopped at Unrealfind.com on several occasions and the service is fantastic not to mention great products and super fast shipping and the prices are low. Everything I have ordered from these guys showed up within 3 days of my order and that was when I was back in Tennessee!!!!! :partyman:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I had the Akona roller bag. The problem with a lot of these is that they fall forward when fully loaded. They're also inherently heavy. These dive companies aren't in the luggage business so they're never going to have as good of product as luggage-makers.
:violent2:

I sold it and bought a regular roller suitcase from Costco, which works perfectly and doesn't hint at being full of expensive gear. Also, when it wears out or breaks I can return it with no questions asked for a new one. I'm on my third one!
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote: I sold it and bought a regular roller suitcase from Costco, which works perfectly and doesn't hint at being full of expensive gear. Also, when it wears out or breaks I can return it with no questions asked for a new one. I'm on my third one!
I've read about these Costco bags being good value for money, not the toughest build or finest workmanship but still an attractive buy. I've heard that you need a membership to this store.
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yes, you do need a membership. I think I'll be going at some point before you leave, I'm not sure when though. I was going to recommend one to you but when I think of it there's nothing special about the luggage from there if you discount the amazing return policy Costco has. Give REI a try and/or go to a luggage shop. REI is in Redmond Town Center about 10 minutes from where you're staying (without traffic).
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

I know where REI is so I'll be definitely checking it out, thanks for the tip.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Went to REI today and their bags are out of the price range I was thinking about. I'd prefer something much cheaper, since the bags will wear out in a year under active use, no matter what the brand/price.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

hmmmm, did you check out unrealfind.com??? :pale:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

:hal
Dave wrote:hmmmm, did you check out unrealfind.com??? :pale:
Hey, now this looks a really interesting site... =D>

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

There really are a lot of quality products at great prices, that is the beauty of web based businesses,,,low overhead, not so good for the brick and mortar (unless they do web business also) but super for us consumers.... :partyman: