Zipper Tests - The Results Are In!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Zipper Tests - The Results Are In!

Post by Tom Nic »

Saw this from DUI today - apologies in advance if it's old news! :rawlings:

http://www.dui-online.com/waterproof_drysuit_zippers/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Zipper Tests - The Results Are In!

Post by BillZ »

Interesting, Thanks Tom

I've had metal YKK zippers on my drysuits throughout the years and I typically get about 400 dives before I've had to replace it. In every case the problem starts as a gradual fraying of the inside lip of the zipper until it eventually starts leaking.

Tired of what seems like shoddy material on the YKK zippers I went with the plastic TI Zip on the Santi I just ordered. I'll have to wait and see how it works out.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I had a few weird issues with Ti-Zip delaminating and had DRIS put in a plastic YKK this last time.
So far its been fine. Knock on wood.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

So now they tell me.

I've been through three metal zippers on my DUI the last 8 years. Decided I'd try the plastic ones. If this one makes it for two years it'll be at least on par with the metal version.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

My wife and I both have over 500 dives each on our Abyss suits with metal, across the shoulder zippers, with no leaks so far (knock on wood). All my previous suits had much shorter zipper lifespans, but none of those had a zipper flap. We do mostly shore dives so there's a lot of rubbing on the zipper area- have to think the flap has made a big difference.
Our suits are basically the same as those made by High Tide, which offers zipper flaps but recommends against having one. Does anyone know why this would be the case?
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

I've talked personally with Eric at high tide about the flaps. We have 2 high tides ourselves. He said that the wear that causes the zipper to fail isn't by rubbing, but by bending. My girlfriend has broad shoulders and you can see where it fails each time where her shoulders bend down towards her arms. He said it's a waste of time and energy. A zipper will eventually fail. 500 dives at ~$500 to replace= a buck a dive. Not too bad...
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Thanks for the info on why they say that. I would think the biggest stress to that area would be when the suit is rolled up and the arms folded in- esp. if something is then set or dropped on top of the bag.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Biggest threat to brass zippers is handling and broken teeth.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.