Hollis F2 fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Hollis F2 fins

Post by Desert Diver »

Just did the first dive of our vacation in Mexico. I bought a pair of Hollis F2's to try in place of my Tusa split fins. Did an easy shallow shore dive for an hour plus. It will be hard for me to try them again. They felt like boards. Hard to move. not much propulsion. Cramped my legs. Yuk! I'm sure glad I brought my Tusa's too!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Re: Hollis F2 fins

Post by johndo88 »

I don't know about the F2, but I own a pair of F1 fins. My initial experience with the F1 fins was like yours. Took me about five dives to get used to them. Now you can't take them away from me. What I like about them is that just the slightest twist of my ankle changes my position. Really great for making small movements to look at things.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Don't worry, this is par for the course for switching from soft split fins to blade fins. The blades will ultimately give you much better control of your position in the water with reduced movement of your feet and legs. Regarding propulsion they are like shifting up a gear on a bicycle. Your legs will adapt and get stronger after a few dives.
A while back I had to borrow a pair of those Tusa splits for a dive, and couldn't believe how floppy they felt in the water. I had much less propulsion and control than I was accustomed to with my blade fins.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've got the F2s too. They take a little while to get used to but they do feel better in the water after you get accustomed to them. The thing that does not improve though is that they are damn heavy in the suitcase!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Tangfish wrote:I've got the F2s too. They take a little while to get used to but they do feel better in the water after you get accustomed to them. The thing that does not improve though is that they are damn heavy in the suitcase!
My F1 fins are very heavy. My F2 fins are lighter than my Mares blades.
I agree that they feel stiff at first, takes a few dives to get used to them. But after that you wont switch back. And I also agree they give you better control in the water. Dont give up on them!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

I have the F2s as well and use them for travel. Since I used jetfins in the sound, the F2s are lighter and more compact. I find I can frog fin in them well, but for some reason the flutter kick doesn't feel right to me.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

The reason I was interested in the F2's, other than trying a blade fin, was I heard they were lighter and more buoyant than my Tusa Extremes. That is true. Today I did more or less the same dive with the Tusas. I could pivot around much better and my legs didn't cramp as much even though we did a much longer dive with much more swimming. It reminded me of how happy I was with the Tusas when I first got them and went away from Plana Avanti's. Anybody want a good deal on some F2's? I think I'm too old to change.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Try swimming different. You won't be able to kick the same way you did with your Tusa fins without building up your muscles adequately otherwise ... as you experienced, cramp-o-rama. Stiff paddle fins are for strong legs or frog kicks and modified flutter (where you are not fighting/pushing on the water as much has guiding it). I have a dive buddy who could happily full on flutter kick Plana Avante graphites and move at the speed of a harbor seal, but he has legs like a tree trunk and has been diving since the dawn of time and could probably dive with 2X4's strapped to his feet.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"