Best 18650 Battery

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Best 18650 Battery

Post by Gdog »

So I think this has been hashed out already, but I didnt find it on the forum. For dive lights, video lights, and focus lights, which 18650 batteries perform best and last the longest? Open for any and all input!
bradmond
Submariner

Re: Best 18650 Battery

Post by bradmond »

I've read here that these are good.

GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Yes, the Orbtronic batteries are good. Those are what I use in lights that take individual cells.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Do you want protected, or unprotected? I prefer unprotected, but then I charge my batteries with a Hyperion Charger.

Also because I dont care about running them down,I care about getting the last light out of them, as are my backups.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Jeff Pack wrote: Also because I don't care about running them down,I care about getting the last light out of them, as are my backups.
Won't make any real difference. The cut-off is set so low (2.5-2.8v usually) that there is effectively no usable current below 3.0v anyway.
Note - for lithium longevity try to keep 20% of the battery remaining, around 3.2-3.4v/cell. Also better not to store it fully charged for long periods of time especially in a hot area.

Many if not most of the 3400mA batteries are Panasonics as the Orbtronic indicates. . A number of sources re-badge them. Some may actually improve the quality of the protective circuit, as the Orbtronic claims, if that is important.

If you don't KNOW what you are buying, stay with a reliable dealer. Amazon may NOT be a reliable dealer for 18650 batteries, or any of the lithium batteries. They may back you up with a return but they simply are a clearing house for many dealers (notice the Orbtronic battery is from Orbtronic, not Amazon directly) and some of them sell real crap.

Same batteries, better prices, reliable dealer. Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sanyo are all decent 'base' brands, which also may be subject to re-badging. It's kind of a jungle out there.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php ... path=59_88

Under all circumstances stay away from anything cheap and Chinese that seems to be a great deal, especially if it named [Ultrafire]. Same with the chargers. That stuff is generally abysmal and occasionally dangerous.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Panasonic ...

Papa Z uses 18650 in his lights ...
From my past trials with them... The trustfires will work , but only for awhile then they fail .. No voltage , wont charge... The Grey ultrafires 2400mah... Work well , no issues..
Panasonic 18650
Panasonic 18650
Ive never had a panasonic 18650 fail on me... But they are spendy 9.00 a battery ... And at that price its cheaper to built a 12 volt battery pack that last 3 hrs
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:So I think this has been hashed out already, but I didnt find it on the forum. For dive lights, video lights, and focus lights, which 18650 batteries perform best and last the longest? Open for any and all input!

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 50#p262147
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

There are supposedly 'real' Trustfires. I have a couple 26650 that are fine. Unfortunately most of them are counterfeit and crap. I was very very careful with the one's I bought and where I got them.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

h20doctor wrote:
Gdog wrote:So I think this has been hashed out already, but I didnt find it on the forum. For dive lights, video lights, and focus lights, which 18650 batteries perform best and last the longest? Open for any and all input!

:) :) You started almost exactly the same thread a year ago.... :nutty: :penelope:
Now that's procrastination. :rofl:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

fmerkel wrote:
h20doctor wrote:

:) :) You started almost exactly the same thread a year ago.... :nutty: :penelope:
Now that's procrastination. :rofl:
Thats not procrastination, that is CRS! As in, I Cant Remember S#$%^!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Do I really need the protected cells?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

fmerkel wrote:There are supposedly 'real' Trustfires. I have a couple 26650 that are fine. Unfortunately most of them are counterfeit and crap. I was very very careful with the one's I bought and where I got them.

its hard to tell what are Real , and what are re labeled ...LOL ... But yes your are correct ... you dont know what your getting , and if they will work
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:Do I really need the protected cells?

Yes ..... :penelope: otherwise you run the Risk factor of over charging ....and over discharge past the point of no return
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Since you ask....probably, it's safer. :supz:

The more complete answer is, depends on what you are putting them in, and how you are charging them.
Some lights and other devices have the protection built in. You have to KNOW that. If not you need to be careful about over discharge, which is the quickest way to kill a cell.....besides serious over charge and the pyrotechnics that may follow- :eek:

Single cells are the most simple to deal with. As you add cells the equation becomes more complicated. 18650 packs (like newer Dusty light and most canister lights) pretty much should have protection.
As you stack cells in series, one cell will always be weaker. If you push it you may get a functioning (dim) light but a seriously over discharged cell(s). Protection helps prevent this by shutting the low cell down, which should shut the pack down.

If you are charging SINGLE cells, then a decent Li-on charger should be fine. Again, careful of cheap junk chargers. Give us a brand name if you need a comment. There are some decent chargers for reasonable prices. If you don't have a brand name charger, you need a new charger. You can buy OK single cell chargers for under $10, doubles for under $20, and 4-bank analyzing chargers for under $50. I elaborate some of that in the original post.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

You know, these discussions seem to get too complicated. Just go to Mountain Electrics and buy Panasonic protected 3400 cells as needed.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php ... duct_id=55
If you want to go a tad cheaper most of the rest of the brand name 2800-3200 cells they sell will be just fine.

FWIW the so-called 3500 cells....aren't. They just really don't add that extra little bit they claim.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks for all the info! I will try not to forget this for a while...expect a similar post in a couple years. :)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:Thanks for all the info! I will try not to forget this for a while...expect a similar post in a couple years. :)

It's okay I'm sure they'll be a deep aluminum 80 discussion here shortly
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

They make AL 80 batteries?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

the big thing is getting the real panny 3400's, many many counterfeits out there. Orbtronics and Mountain are legit. Many places on amazon, not so.

Even worse on ebay. I'm getting unprotected 3400's for 8-10$ depending on quantity, but these have tabs. We've already made some scooter packs, and heater packs. They test to a nominal 3200ma. The Counterfeits test to around 2700-2800ma.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I recommend using protected cells for one or two in series. For building a pack, use unprotected cells with separate PCB and poly-fuse to protect the pack.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455765409.601837.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455765361.250976.jpg