DIY thread

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY thread

Post by airsix »

AquaticEngineer wrote:Where are you guys getting the water tight canisters for housing the batteries in?
The short answer is we build them. Most of us are using plastic pipe (PVC is most common) and fitting them with custom lids and bases made from PVC, acetal, HDPE, etc. Get a copy of this book. It's full of great canister-building information. The battery and bulb info is dated, but the sections on canister building are still valid and as useful as ever.

Here are a couple of shots of my most recent DIY canister. It was made from PVC and shot with a coat of bedliner. The canister has been in service since 2009 but the lid is a newer one I built last summer as an upgrade. The canister base is stepped just like the lid (1 inch recess) and is solvent-welded in place. You can easily knock out a basic canister on a Saturday morning with just hand tools. Even quicker if you have a well equipped workshop.

Ben

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep, Build em. Hardest part of the whole project. Used to be able to get a good starter can from OMS but they quit making them.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

The nice part is that NiMH and especially lithium batteries are now so small that even a mini-lathe (7x12 or 7x14) is more than capable of cranking out canisters and lids. The old lead acid or NiCads used to require serious shop equipment to build.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Thanks guys :D

I gotta go pick up some clear PVC pipe tomorrow for a slurp gun I'm building so I think I will grab some 2" or 3" schedule 80 pipe, a cap, and a test plug while I'm at the plumbing store and get started on the housing.

Anyone ever go this route with their canister?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I wouldn't go with the test cap, they start to leak after a while.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nwbrewer wrote:I wouldn't go with the test cap, they start to leak after a while.
+1 on that

You have a hardware store that carries clear PVC pipe? I've seen tubing but not pipe.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just FYI you do not want to use acrylic pipe or tube which is commonly available clear. Its brittle and will crack easily.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Just FYI you do not want to use acrylic pipe or tube which is commonly available clear. Its brittle and will crack easily.
I read it as he's going to get some clear for a different project, and some Sched. 80 for the canister.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Just FYI you do not want to use acrylic pipe or tube which is commonly available clear. Its brittle and will crack easily.
I read it as he's going to get some clear for a different project, and some Sched. 80 for the canister.
I was originally going use clear PVC on my canister and my slurp gun since I didnt want to use acrylic tube.

After calling around and finding the best deal on clear 3" PVC pipe was $102 for an 8 ft section(which is actually a really good price) and that they would only sell the whole piece, I decided I'll probably do everything out of schedule 80 instead since I can get it by the foot.

If my test runs of everthing work the way I want them to I may get the clear PVC later, just for cool factor ;)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Light cans are made of many things.. Abs, pvc, and stuff.. Cans can be built in about an hour.. But then you need 24 hrs for glue to dry
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Or machine it from solid Delrin.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Delrin.. Is very expensive
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jeff Pack wrote:Or machine it from solid Delrin.
If you got lots of bucks. That stuff is like gold. Even in 3" ID by 3.5" OD tube your talking 27 bucks a foot
3.5" solid is $50 a ft.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

H20doctor wrote:Delrin.. Is very expensive
And standing in front of a lathe while you bore it out at the rate of 0.005" per pass is like watching paint dry.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:
And standing in front of a lathe while you bore it out at the rate of 0.005" per pass is like watching paint dry.
:nutty:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dusty2 wrote:
airsix wrote:

Okay, so teach me how to make deep boring cuts that don't just flex the boring bar!* :smt064

*crappy little toy import lathe & boring bar holder that only takes 3/8" shank boring bars.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
airsix wrote:

Okay, so teach me how to make deep boring cuts that don't just flex the boring bar!* :smt064

*crappy little toy import lathe & boring bar holder that only takes 3/8" shank boring bars.
Haha, U answered you own question with the last line! :neener:

You need a real lathe not an expensive toy.
jet-1340.jpg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

But that lathe needs a trained operator.. And skill.. Even a small sears wood lathe needs care and talent to make canisters, and parts which = time .. And for me time is limited.. I give kudos to a lathe person and using a caliper.. But for me its just a hobby and fun building and creating something I built from scratch.. From an idea to a finished product.. Thats cool for me
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dusty2 wrote: Haha, U answered you own question with the last line! :neener:

jet-1340.jpg
Yep. That was my point. Someday the size of my work space, projects and budget might justify serious equipment, but not today.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
Dusty2 wrote: Haha, U answered you own question with the last line! :neener:

jet-1340.jpg
Yep. That was my point. Someday the size of my work space, projects and budget might justify serious equipment, but not today.
Put the kids to work. :ballandchain: Or sell one to Rumplestiltskin.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:Put the kids to work. :ballandchain: Or sell one to Rumplestiltskin.
If I could have done that, I'd have a Friggin C&C in my dive locker!

D
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dusty2 wrote:
airsix wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
airsix wrote:

Haha, U answered you own question with the last line! :neener:

jet-1340.jpg
That is my lathe. Jet gear head 13x40.

No mouse lathes in my shop. Have dro's on the x and y axis.

Well built lathe.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:
That is my lathe. Jet gear head 13x40.

No mouse lathes in my shop. Have dro's on the x and y axis.

Well built lathe.

And you BOUGHT a canlight? WTF?

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Machining a can, easy

Building a light head, etc out of my league...