DIY thread

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
cofford
Aquaphile

Re: DIY thread

Post by cofford »

Battery crack... I built this for my buddy's Gavin short body. 32 Ah.
Attachments
battery.jpg
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Casey, I heard you were building scoot batts but I had no idea. That's beautiful! :luv:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

airsix wrote:Casey, I heard you were building scoot batts but I had no idea. That's beautiful! :luv:
I know nothing about batteries or the other things of which you all speak, but I have to agree with Ben - that's beautiful!

I'd like one as a coffee table. :luv:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I wish that pack was for me. I built a 40 Ah pack for myself before the Headway cells were available, and I can't justify the cost of building another one. Mine fits in a 26 tube. These pictures were before I had the weighting dialed in (and why the blue tape is there).

LiFePO4 batteries rock in this application. Flat discharge curve, and they last >2000 cycles according to the manufacturer (we'll see how true that is). BIG improvement over lead-acid, even of similar capacity. The scooter feels fully charged throughout the entire dive.
Attachments
IMG_0215_small.JPG
IMG_0214_small.JPG
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

That's a very cool battery....

But it's blocking my view of a RACE CAR! :luv:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cofford
Aquaphile

DIY thread

Post by cofford »

Um, yeah, that goes in a different forum. :)
wcricple
Frequent Bubbler

Post by wcricple »

[color=#800080]
Jeff Pack wrote:Machining a can, easy

Building a light head, etc out of my league...

[/color]

I also build lights. I have some lightheads that I farmed out to a shop. If you want a lighthead to DIY . I'dsell one for say $100.00 , kit includes black anodized Al 0661, 1/4" pyrex lens, o-ring, s.s. spacer ring, s.s. retaining ring, Agro cable gland, and 54" of 8mm solid core cable. you need a way to push on the lens to install the retaining ring , (I use a drill press and a dowel ) , and ring pliers. completed light looks like this:
Attachments
IMG_6119.jpg
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

wcricple wrote:[color=#800080]
Jeff Pack wrote:Machining a can, easy

Building a light head, etc out of my league...

[/color]

I also build lights. I have some lightheads that I farmed out to a shop. If you want a lighthead to DIY . I'dsell one for say $100.00 , kit includes black anodized Al 0661, 1/4" pyrex lens, o-ring, s.s. spacer ring, s.s. retaining ring, Agro cable gland, and 54" of 8mm solid core cable. you need a way to push on the lens to install the retaining ring , (I use a drill press and a dowel ) , and ring pliers. completed light looks like this:
Looks nice!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Has anyone ever used an RC battery pack to run a dive light? Only issue I have is getting enough Mah's. There are some reasonably priced ones on E-bay.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

sitkadiver wrote:Has anyone ever used an RC battery pack to run a dive light? Only issue I have is getting enough Mah's. There are some reasonably priced ones on E-bay.
I thought Dusty's use RC packs...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Not a dive light, but I converted a big Maglite to LEDs once for a project, and used an RC pack. They work fine, and can be cheap.

-C
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jeff Pack wrote:
sitkadiver wrote:Has anyone ever used an RC battery pack to run a dive light? Only issue I have is getting enough Mah's. There are some reasonably priced ones on E-bay.
I thought Dusty's use RC packs...
That they do 7.2 v 5000 Mah's and they do just great! at about $40 each they are a steal compared to the power packs in most dive lights.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I rebuilt the 10Ah LiPo battery in my 21w Salvo for about $115 including the cells and circuit board. Not as expensive as most people think.
(I had a friend help me but I'm omitting his name so he doesn't get bombarded with requests to rebuild packs :) )
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Be careful of the ones on ebay, some are made with really cheap cells that may not last very long.

Batteryspace.com has some packs that are made with generic cells, but they seem to have a pretty good handle on their QC, at least I've never had an issue with their batteries, and I know they supply to at least one of the major dive light manufacturers. (or did anyway).
Lots of people using this pack - http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbattery ... logen.aspx

Which is the same as this one, just made with generic cells instead of name brand. Mine's been going strong for a few years now. http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbattery ... light.aspx

What light are you trying to re-power? That would help in making a suggestion for a quality pack that's not going to break the bank.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Over the past 12 years or so, my freinds and I have purchased several SpDaa Ikelites. The battery packs are all toast and want to repower with 12-70 gel cells since I can get them free at work. Only problem is I cannot find 5 in PVC anywhere. So, I was just wondering if anyone had a glowing recommendation for these packs.

KNowing the Qc is an issue, I may pass on them. We're looking to run 35 or 50 watt halogens on the cheap.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I don't think anyone makes 5" pvc. You could buy 6" solid pvc and bore it to size but that's very costly.

I never buy pacs through Ebay. My packs come from either Venom or Tenergy and I have had almost no issues with them.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

So my first attempt and DIY SCUBA gear is a hard Goodman handle for my DRIS dive light. To be honest, it's a blatant copy of the light bracket that they sell to go with it.
Started life as a 4"x2' section of ABS pipe (black PVC) that I slit lengthwise on my table saw and softened in the oven. Then I flattened it on the garage floor to make a sheet. More table saw and oven to roughly mold the parts, some quality time with my sander to smooth the shape a bit, and stainless screws to hold the three pieces together. Two pieces of bicycle inner tube for traction (allowing me to rotate the light head with one hand), and it works well...at least the light didn't fall out when I turned it over and shook it, and the rubber keeps it from moving in the bracket. Haven't taken it diving yet, though.

Handle with Light
Handle with Light
Just the handle
Just the handle
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nice. I'd recommend at least running a bungee across the top to keep the light in, just in case. Preferrable, if you could find a way to "lock it in".

D
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks fine but now you know why I don't make them myself. :nutty:

It's just plain to damn much work. I'd have to charge big bucks for something you can buy online for less.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

defied wrote:Nice. I'd recommend at least running a bungee across the top to keep the light in, just in case. Preferrable, if you could find a way to "lock it in".

D
It snaps into the holder rather well, actually. I had pondered the bungee idea, but I've also been looking into different options for a lanyard to hook the snap to. Keep it out of the way and secure the light in case the bracket fails. That, and Army schools have made me a bit OCD about tying everything down :nutty:

The whole bracket cost about $10 in materials, and about an hour to make (only counting actual construction time, not measuring and experimenting), and I have LOTS of the sheet stock left over. The whole bracket actually only used a 2.5"x2' strip of the flattened sheet. Would have been easier to order the parts, but more expensive and much less satisfying. Mostly, it was satisfying...and I was bored. But I can see why Dusty wouldn't want to make them as well, since this is made to fit MY hand, and isn't adjustable. It'd be a lot harder to make it adjustable.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

viperwsu wrote: It snaps into the holder rather well, actually. I had pondered the bungee idea, but I've also been looking into different options for a lanyard to hook the snap to. Keep it out of the way and secure the light in case the bracket fails. That, and Army schools have made me a bit OCD about tying everything down :nutty:
Well as it is just for you, then that works. 0]
viperwsu wrote: ...It'd be a lot harder to make it adjustable.
I'm not sure how. You would just have to pound out two "U" shaped brackets, one a scootch wider than the other, drill holes, or a slide rail, and attach them dive screws/bolts. Wallah, adjustable handle.

D
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Making one for personal use is not a big deal and could be fun. But time is the big factor in the equation shop time runs 50 to $100 bucks an hour and that plus material makes it a no win deal.

As a home project you can use plastic but You wouldn't be able to sell them. People want metal not plastic when they are buying.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Or Delrin. Delrin doesn't suck.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

defied wrote:Or Delrin. Delrin doesn't suck.
It does when you have to pay for it!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Meh.