DIY thread

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY Neck Seal

Post by renoun »

I've been considering a neo neck seal for a while and have actually had a template from NWBrewer for a while. I blew up the neck on my backup suit during the first dive at WWW last week so today was the day.

My seal is a modification of NWBrewer's in a few respects. I purchased 2mm rather than 3mm stretch neoprene from Seattle Fabric. I modified the template to make the neck bit smaller since I think a smaller neck was going to be a better fit for me. Although I edge glued the seams with McNett Seal Cement I elected to tape the seams for extra strength. I used the seal cement to saturate a 1" wide scrap of nylon fabric from the edge of the neoprene reminent I purchased and applied it over the seam on the side with the fabric (suit side).

It is glued on to my suit now, hopefully it will last for many warm and dry dives. I'm happy to share the template if anybody else wants to give this a try. Glue and materials for two seals ran me about $40.

"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY thread

Post by Nwbrewer »

Nice work Ross! Did you reinforce the seems between the 2 halves of the seal? The glue seems to form a stress concentrator, and while the glue doesn't fail, the neoprene on one side or the other is prone to tearing. I used some heat tape on the inside, and that seems to have taken care of it.

Also, for anyone looking to use the heat seal fabric from Seattle Fabrics for any project, I have found the best sealer so far. A flattening iron for hair. Way better than a clothes iron.

It gets hot on both sides, so the adhesive gets heated evenly,it allows you to put nice steady pressure on the seem while you're gluing it, and it definitely gets hot enough. I had t make some adjustments to my SM bc, and this thing worked awesome. Available at almost any thrift store for a few $$ too.
P1110809.jpg
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Nwbrewer wrote:Nice work Ross! Did you reinforce the seems between the 2 halves of the seal?
Yes, I used more seal cement and the nylon facing from the edge of the neoprene to make tape that was about 1.25" wide. I applied it to the inside of the seal which has fabric backing on it. IMHO this makes it much stronger. The last photo in my previous post attempted to show this but a poorly lit cell phone photo of black glue attaching black fabric to black neoprene probably wasn't worth the effort.

I'm thinking of using this technique on a 2mm/3mm wetsuit that I wear sailing. I was complaining about some seams failing last week but I realized that it is nearly fifteen years old.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

wcricple wrote:[color=#800080]
Jeff Pack wrote:Machining a can, easy

Building a light head, etc out of my league...

[/color]

I also build lights. I have some lightheads that I farmed out to a shop. If you want a lighthead to DIY . I'dsell one for say $100.00 , kit includes black anodized Al 0661, 1/4" pyrex lens, o-ring, s.s. spacer ring, s.s. retaining ring, Agro cable gland, and 54" of 8mm solid core cable. you need a way to push on the lens to install the retaining ring , (I use a drill press and a dowel ) , and ring pliers. completed light looks like this:

Where are you getting your anodizing done or are you doing it yourself? Everyplace I check it is wicked expensive unless you are doing a whole bunch.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

H20doctor wrote:im gonna push the XML chips at 4 amps , each .. LOL , most likely with also set of 6 XPG's all going into the New deathlight , Light head ..., Or i might put a SST-50 chip in the center with an aspheric , then surround it with XPG's ... Hmmmmmm , But yes a definite fish fry underwater dusty

Damn I wish you luck I just toasted a xml at 3.5 amps. Was going to try bringing them up to 4 and failed. Did not even have time to get very hot.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hence the expense of building your own. Experimenting can get expensive and time consuming considering these thing come from china and take forever to get.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Johnbhutch wrote:
H20doctor wrote:im gonna push the XML chips at 4 amps , each .. LOL , most likely with also set of 6 XPG's all going into the New deathlight , Light head ..., Or i might put a SST-50 chip in the center with an aspheric , then surround it with XPG's ... Hmmmmmm , But yes a definite fish fry underwater dusty

Damn I wish you luck I just toasted a xml at 3.5 amps. Was going to try bringing them up to 4 and failed. Did not even have time to get very hot.
Try mineral water if you want to experiment. Real world application....ehhh unless you want video lights.

Though it's already been confirmed that past 3 amps with an xml you won't get much out of it but heat.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dashrynn wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:

Try mineral water if you want to experiment. Real world application....ehhh unless you want video lights.

Though it's already been confirmed that past 3 amps with an xml you won't get much out of it but heat.
I think you mean mineral OIL?
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

airsix wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Johnbhutch wrote:

I think you mean mineral OIL?
Yep, brain fart.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

ABS Goodman handle 2.0, this one requested by nwgratefuldiver.

I used the router table and a 1/8" straight bit to put slots in this one to make it adjustable. It's a little rougher than the original, since the ABS kept sticking to the foil I was heating on in the oven, but 3 tries later I got a passable result. I tried to break the bad formed handles, and they just bent then sprung back, even with the slots cut in them. Time and use will tell how it holds up, but my original performed like a champ on it's first dive. Light didn't move a hair, and it was tight enough to twist the light head one handed.

2.0 needed an extra strip of rubber because I didn't get the mold quite as tight, but it's still firm when I turn it over and shake it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1342062888584.jpg
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Yep, brain fart.[/quote]

That's what smells.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Johnbhutch wrote:

I pushed a xml at 4 amps no problem John.. You need a big heatsink..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Just took delivery of "Big Blue" on Wednesday. Dove it on Thursday and Friday, Incredible!!!
Felt like I was diving with my own personal street lamp! Tom Nic thinks the throw is not as good as his and the beam is not tight enough. He only says that because Big Blue totally washed out his spot on his light as I pointed it over his shouder. :neener:

This Light Rocks!!!

Thanks H2O Doc! :highfive:
Attachments
CIMG6004.JPG
CIMG6005.JPG
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Since allot of people have ask I have found a new 5 XML T-6 module that really kicks out the light, 3000 lumins? The reason for the question mark is I really don't have the equipment to verify the output. The mfg sez 1000 lumens per emitter X 5 equals 5000 lumens but I am not going to go that far. It is not as tightly focused but is really bright thus it would be a great video light. I will be offering it as the z-light V for those that need video lights. It will cost about 10 bucks more than my current lights but it's crazy bright. :nutty:
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well I built my final and last light for keith , due to the fact that i broke his dive light after fixing it :penelope: , i ordered one of these from deal , and gutted out the wimpy driver cause it sucked.. and i wanted to push these XML to the full 3 amps that they can take
sku_100483_2.jpg
after i had the bigger and better driver installed i threw it into a Blue Maglight light and sealed it up
2012-06-25_23-24-09_452.jpg
big blue 3.jpg
the result is a 3000 lumen Xml nightmare ... with a nice beam ... i threw in one of my battery packs
Battery pack.jpg
and then built the canister with the reed switch inside the Mag head so there is no boot switch to go bad or tear.. which i feel is a major leak point , and i cant stand boot switches anyway :taco: :taco:

so congrats to Bassman for his new light .. Im onto video lights now useing CSM chips from Phatlights
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Well, Wish me luck guys, I have done wrist and neck seals with fair success so on to bigger and considerably harder.

My zipper failed in my bare cdx 2 pro and since I am on a tight leash both monetarily and time wise I'm jumping in with both feet. A regular zip would be intimidating enough but this is a 36" front zip neoprene suit with an outside zipper! (which might fall by the wayside along the way) That is undetermined at the moment

First where do I look for one of those little glue rollers? I have the glue coming with the new zipper and I have a heat gun at the ready.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I finally got around to making a sheath for clipping off my shears in my pocket. I used 7/8" vinyl hose from the local hardware store and whatever size grommet I happened to have around, perhaps a #5. The flat at the tip of the shears retains them with a reasonable amount of friction. They can be unclipped or just tugged out of the sheath.
Shears in Sheath
Shears in Sheath
Tip of Sheath
Tip of Sheath
Closeup
Closeup
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dusty2 wrote: First where do I look for one of those little glue rollers? I have the glue coming with the new zipper and I have a heat gun at the ready.
I believe you will have plenty of options to buy one online if you search for a "Veneer Roller". You could also look at a woodworking specialty store. In Seattle I would suggest Rockler Woodworking, Hardwicks, and Woodcraft.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

renoun wrote:I finally got around to making a sheath for clipping off my shears in my pocket. I used 7/8" vinyl hose from the local hardware store and whatever size grommet I happened to have around, perhaps a #5. The flat at the tip of the shears retains them with a reasonable amount of friction. They can be unclipped or just tugged out of the sheath.
4bac0212-7893-d35a.jpg
4bac0212-791c-c130.jpg
4bac0212-76d0-c781.jpg
Nice! I like it! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote:
Dusty2 wrote: First where do I look for one of those little glue rollers? I have the glue coming with the new zipper and I have a heat gun at the ready.
I believe you will have plenty of options to buy one online if you search for a "Veneer Roller". You could also look at a woodworking specialty store. In Seattle I would suggest Rockler Woodworking, Hardwicks, and Woodcraft.
I bought mine in the glue section at the local hardware store. It's for putting on laminate counter tops.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yea! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

New zipper installed and tested! lots of lessons learned and one hell of allot of bucks saved. Total cost including glue $150.00 :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Next time it will be allot easier.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Dusty2 wrote:Yea! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

New zipper installed and tested! lots of lessons learned and one hell of allot of bucks saved. Total cost including glue $150.00 :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Pictures or it didn't happen!

:neener:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:Yea! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

You can do a tizip for less, more like $85 including glue.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
You can do a tizip for less, more like $85 including glue.
Yes but DRIS said that a Ti zip is not advised on that suit due to the stresses it puts on the zippers. All the info on the TIzip sez not advised for use where excessive bending or stress may occur
Last edited by Dusty2 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nwbrewer wrote: You can do a tizip for less, more like $85 including glue.
I've been looking at these and am about to pull the trigger and order one. I haven't found that kind of deal (yet). Mind sharing your source?

Dusty, what glue did you use?