Steel tanks

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Steel tanks

Post by Duckdiver »

Hi,I'm shopping for steel tanks,anybody have recommendations for which brand to go with and size? I seen Faber and Worthington online,and looks like Faber might be the better quality? Also the size,119 or 120? Tang Fish,I like the appearance of your tanks,what brand and size are yours,and what's your thoughts? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Steel tanks

Post by GearHead »

Sadly, Worthington no longer makes steel tanks. They do show up online, but not at the bargain prices one would like for used tanks.
Faber makes quite a few sizes of steel tanks. For Puget Sound diving, the FX100 and FX117 are the most popular. These two are similar height, but different diameters — 7.25 vs. 8 inches. The 117 is my favorite for shore diving. I have a pair of the FX100s doubled up for bigger dives.
Then there are the Faber LP85s, which are great for doubles or Sidemount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Thanks gearhead.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Worthington, PST and Faber are the three major manufacturers of steel tanks, as mentioned only Faber still makes SCUBA tanks.

I like galvanized tanks and stay away from painted ones so I don't own any Fabers. Over time salt water works it's way under the paint and causes bubbles and pits in the tank which can lead to them being condemned. The galvanized tanks are pretty much bullet proof - I still dive tanks that were manufactured in the 70's and they pass hydro without a problem.

119's are great tanks - they trim out well and as singles they hold enough gas to do any recreational dive. Being thinner and taller 120's are a bit awkward in my humble opinion.

Although screaming deals on galvanized tanks are hard to find you can still pick them up for a reasonable price. There's a 119 on CL right now for $250 which isn't a bargain basement price but not outrageous either.
EDIT: Actually, I just checked and it's going for $200 not $250 - For a 119 in hydro that's a really fair price
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

BillZ wrote: There's a 119 on CL right now for $250 which isn't a bargain basement price but not outrageous either.
EDIT: Actually, I just checked and it's going for $200 not $250 - For a 119 in hydro that's a really fair price
Thanks for the lead, Bill....I just picked that tank up for $200. :partydance:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BillZ wrote:Worthington, PST and Faber are the three major manufacturers of steel tanks, as mentioned only Faber still makes SCUBA tanks.

I like galvanized tanks and stay away from painted ones so I don't own any Fabers. Over time salt water works it's way under the paint and causes bubbles and pits in the tank which can lead to them being condemned. The galvanized tanks are pretty much bullet proof - I still dive tanks that were manufactured in the 70's and they pass hydro without a problem.
All fabers are galvanized and then painted. Some of mine are 15yrs old and there is zero pitting or paint bubbling. They are not hot dipped so the galvanizing isn't quite as durable (it can chip). But most divers quit diving long before their faber tanks are ready for retirement.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Gdog wrote:
BillZ wrote: There's a 119 on CL right now for $250 which isn't a bargain basement price but not outrageous either.
Thanks for the lead, Bill....I just picked that tank up for $200. :partydance:
No problems! I would have swooped in and picked it up but I'm trying to ease up a bit on my tank addiction.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Only negative was that it was out on hydro. Tank date 2010. But still a good buy.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:
BillZ wrote:Worthington, PST and Faber are the three major manufacturers of steel tanks, as mentioned only Faber still makes SCUBA tanks.

All fabers are galvanized and then painted. Some of mine are 15yrs old and there is zero pitting or paint bubbling. They are not hot dipped so the galvanizing isn't quite as durable (it can chip). But most divers quit diving long before their faber tanks are ready for retirement.
my brand new fabers on the CCR really sucked.. the paint chips off and they immediately start to rust i had to repair a few spots to stop the rust.. not sure if the "new" faber brand tanks are different that the old trusty galvanized and then painted ones..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White