Failed braided LP hose?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
mpenders
Submariner

Failed braided LP hose?

Post by mpenders »

I bought a couple non-miflex branded braided LP reg hoses a couple years ago to try out. I can't recall who the manufacturer was, it was mostly being identified as "double braided". I just located a steady stream of bubbles emanating from the middle of my primary hose - nowhere near the crimps. Lots of bubbles when the hose is bent one way, but minimal/no bubbles if positioned and left alone. With the braid, the bubbles are not coming from one specific point, but pouring out between the braid fibers.

I figure I might have a couple hundred dives on the hose at this point. I'd hoped it would last a bit longer. I've had a couple rubber hoses fail, but usually in the area near the crimp to the first stage. Having it fail in the center of the hose, in an area with typically no bending stress, seems...odd.

I know that there were some issues at the outset with the miflex hoses, especially with the HP hoses. I thought those were crimp-related issues, though.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Failed braided LP hose?

Post by CaptnJack »

There have been lots of reported incidents on braided hose after the milflex hp hose recall.
The plastic liner breaking down and turning into chips, interior cracks like you have experienced, stuff like that. Some fairly catastrophic as in delivering no air anymore. The braid itself never seems to burst, its the polyethylene liner that fails.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Yep. Took a quick look around and found several similar stories. Think my hoses were manufactured/packaged by Phantom, and I picked them up from Piranha. The have a date code of 11Q3 (3rd quarter of 2011?) They must have sat awhile before they headed my way.

Your right, the braid looks new.The entire hose does, actually - including the crimped ends and fittings.

Is the prevailing wisdom to stick with rubber hoses then?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Most in the know are doing just that.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.