DUI XM450 Undergarment Feedback

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

DUI XM450 Undergarment Feedback

Post by Tangfish »

Anyone dive a DUI XM450 undergarment who's also had plenty of experience diving a Weezle? I dive a Weezle Extreme (which I love) and have an Extreme Plus, but the + is a bit too lofty, marshmallow man for me unless it's really frigid conditions, as it is warm as heck.

Laura was just telling me how great the Thinsulate XM450 is for her and so I am wondering where that falls along the continuum of warmth vs bulk as it compares to the two weights of Weezle undersuits. It looks clearly less bulky than both Weezles, but I wonder how it compares warmth-wise.

Also would like feedback on the DUI Thinsulate booties if anyone has experience with those (I have some puffy ones currently that I think are either Whites or Bare).
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Re: DUI XM450 Undergarment Feedback

Post by Ryan Nelson »

I dive the xm450. It's nice. Warm, not bulky, ok movement for an undergarment so thick. I want to move to a weezle. I do find that after and hour in the water in getting chilled.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I dive XM450s and thinsulate booties, they work fine for me. Unfortunately I've never tried a wheezle. I trust thinsulate though, and wouldn't trust anything else. I'd go Argon/Vest/CCR before switching off thinsulate. In summertime the XM450 pretty much doesn't get cold unless I'm literally doing nothing at all (and in the summertime i often get lazy and wear a t-shirt and street socks with it in order to try to get some chill because its too hot out). In wintertime it'll go 60 minutes on a scooter before getting chilled, after 120 mins its shivering on deco. I doubt you get any better performance out of anything else though (although new anything is always better than old+crushed).

That latter effect is going to skew any comparative user reviews of drysuit undergarmets. A new XM450 will probably beat a 5+ year old Wheezle and a new Wheezle will probably beat a 5+ year old XM450. Everyone will be super happy with whatever they bought last.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thanks Ryan and Lamont, both of you kind of verify one of the things I like about the XM450 idea in that it's not too bulky but still provides ample warmth. I'm thinking of using it mostly during the warmer months. I've also got a heated vest to augment whatever undergarment I use and dive argon year round. I get cold pretty easily. Good feedback on the booties too, Lamont. Thank you both.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I have both an XM250 and XM450. The XM450 I only bring out for dives where I know I'm gonna be in water for 2 hrs or more, and I'll likely be on CCR and have a heated vest, for me personally it's just too warm for everyday 45-60 min dives. With the XM250 I'm getting a niggle of cool after 50 min of holding still shooting video on OC, but if I vary my base layer I can find a happy middle ground. Adding a Xerotherm or another 100g poly fleece base layer can add time or can buy you some more time from a few year old undergarment that is crushed and ready for replacement. I have 4 different base layers, the DUI eco-wear for lightweight that I dive in summer, a couple pairs of mid/heavy weight long johns for 'regular' and then the 100g poly fleece for when I need extra time or I'm just feeling extra whimpy that day but don't want to pull out the XM450.

Compared to the Weezle, any of the thinsulate (name being a misnomer, they are not thin) are going to feel a bit like wearing a couch cushion vs wearing a huge fluffy bed comforter. One is dense and warm, one is huge and fluffy and warm. From a how does it feel point of view they really are apples to oranges.

To echo what Lamont mentioned and add to it... Dry suit undergarments are a 'consumable' and they definitely need replacement over time.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"