Cressi stuff for OW cert?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
banjoguy
Getting To Know Folks

Post by banjoguy »

So I've been planning on getting my open water cert for a while now and I also recently went on a trip to hawaii where I planned on snorkeling a ton. So I figured instead of renting snorkeling gear in hawaii (yuck, germs) I'd just buy a mask, fins, and snorkel that I could also use later for my OW cert. After doing a little looking around, I ended up buying Cressi Frog Plus fins with spring straps, a Cressi Focus mask with prescription lenses, 3mm dive boots, and a Cressi dry snorkel. Everything I read online said all this is a great beginner set up for scuba and awesome for snorkeling. Well, they totally performed flawlessly snorkeling. We even went on a guided "SNUBA" trip where I went down 15 feet for 30 minutes and my mask didn't leak a drop.

So long story longer... I stopped by a local dive shop today to find out about OW classes. The store manager basically told me that my gear is junk and probably not good for cold water. He said they refuse to sell Cressi gear because it doesn't meet their standards (however, one of his employees uses a Cressi mask and loves it).

So here's my concern. Does anyone here dive with these Cressi products (or something similar)? Do they work fine? Is this shop owner just blowing smoke, trying to upsell me on buying more gear? I get that my 3mm boots wont work and that I'll need 5mil and I'll buy those with gloves for sure. Can I get by with this set up for my open water cert? I know down the road I'll want to upgrade, but I dont want to right now if I dont have to.

Thanks guys!
Sean
Last edited by banjoguy on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Cressi stuff for OW cert?

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy!
I don't know anything about Cressi. But I suspect the shop just wants you to buy some of their stuff along with the class. Selling gear is part of the profit equation for open water classes. Maybe they'd be more open if you offered to buy other gear.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
banjoguy
Getting To Know Folks

Post by banjoguy »

I just re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean for the store manager to sound like a jerk. He was just the opposite and super cool and very informative. I'm the novice and he is the expert, I really should just take his advice. I'm cool with buying a different mask and fins if I have to, I'm just trying to save a little cash. The whole point of buying the Cressi stuff was to kill two birds with one stone, I just hope my plan didn't backfire and I wasted all that money. Especially with my mask since I upgraded it with prescription lenses.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Hey Sean,

Cressi is a legit maker of dive gear. It could be argued that some of their gear may be more suitable for warm water use.

The most important feature of any mask is that it fits YOU. Sometimes you get lucky and find a $40 mask that works great, and sometimes the only one that fits right costs a small fortune. I ended up spending money on an expensive one early on and thought it was great...until I found a $35 one that fit better. Lesson learned. If yours doesn't leak a drop, it sounds like a winner.

A snorkel can be very basic or be all blinged out with various valves and the like. If you like yours, use it. Truth is, viz around these parts doesn't lend itself for many opportunities for snorkeling. Many of the more experienced divers in our area leave their snorkels in their dive lockers (except during classes when they are considered required gear).

Fins are a personal choice. Cold water fins are usually more substantial than warm water fins - gear-laden divers covered in neoprene and weight are harder to propel through the water. For an OW class, as long as they fit your feet (with cold water boots), your Cressi fins should be fine. My buddy used an older pair of Cressi Frog fins for more than 100 dives and loved them, until he tried another and decided he liked the new ones better.

Your OW instructor will be a great resource for gear related questions. The equipment of diving is also a significant portion of the course. My recommendation would be to hold off making major gear purchases until you have a chance to review the topic, either through your studies, or with your instructor. The OW class fee should include the shop providing all non-personal related gear. It's not uncommon for students to be required to provide their own mask, snorkel, fins, boots and gloves. It sounds like you're almost there!

You might consider your OW textbook(s) as your next purchase.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Cressi gear is on par with other recreational gear. The best mask is one that fits your face, and blade fins will take you further into diving than splits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adamx
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by adamx »

He's trying to upsell you. I have a Cressi Pano 4 mask, which fits my face perfectly. I used it every day when I gave snorkel tours, wore it when I was certified, and I use it to this day. It's held out despite hard use and never leaks. I have a very high opinion of their masks.

Their fin pockets tend to run small but if they fit well while you have 5mm boots on then that's the most important thing. Test them with the boots for fit, and buy new fins if they are too snug. Otherwise, keep what you have, at least until you know you want something more.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

If you already have these items, dive them. You will figure out soon enough what works well and what doesn't. A mask that fits well is a good mask. The rest is more subjective and you can figure that out as you go. The local dive shops are a great resource, and when you decide you want a piece of gear that will work better for you, go see them. DO support our local dive shops because we need them.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I have been diving a Cressi mask for about 6 years. I LOVE it as it fits my face. Also have broken some clips on it and Cressi sent me repair packages via mail so its good as new.
We need fins with BIG pockets here in the cold water as you tend to have rockboots, or thick ass neoprene boots.

I can see a shop owner talking some smack about a product they don't carry, but to say they a mask is junk and will not work here is a little misleading.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I dove Cressi Frogs for about 200 dives. Perfectly fine for the puget sound.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote:I have been diving a Cressi mask for about 6 years. I LOVE it as it fits my face. Also have broken some clips on it and Cressi sent me repair packages via mail so its good as new.
We need fins with BIG pockets here in the cold water as you tend to have rockboots, or thick ass neoprene boots.

I can see a shop owner talking some smack about a product they don't carry, but to say they a mask is junk and will not work here is a little misleading.
Agreed.

The fins may or may not work. If they fit your foot with thick boots they will get you through OW. As for the snorkel, just about anything better than 12" of garden hose will get you through the class. After class, place it in a drawer until you need it for AOW.

If the fins you have don't fit, save them for Warm water, and craigslist some that fit for $50. Just a quick sweep now I saw a pair of Scubapro jetfins for around that.

Have fun in OW class.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

My first 'snorkeling/diving' kit was one of those cheapo Sam's Club deals. Used it for class and took it on my first trip. I've long since upgraded having learned far more about mask fit and personal preference for fins. Snorkel.....what's a snorkel? :tomnic:

The manager may be fine but I'd say you have learned something about the way he sells products. This may be fine, or it could be an issue. Stores sell what they have, not necessarily what's most suitable for you. OTOH, suitability is very personal, and ultimately a pretty broad range.

Cressi is a major manufacturer of dive gear. http://www.cressi.com/catalogue/Index.asp?
They actually make a lot of their own gear, not just put labels on it like some do.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

You may find the Cressi frog fins to be too soft for diving in Puget Sound, but they will still be Ok for traveling and warm water. Most of us gravitate toward stiffer blade fins, because they make it easier to hold position just off the bottom while checking out little critters and what not. Please keep the fins off the bottom while doing so.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

You may find the Cressi frog fins to be too soft for diving in Puget Sound
My first 'real' scuba fins were Cressi Frogs. WAY too stiff. I hated them. My wife's were one size smaller and a whole different experience. She still uses them for tropical diving. She did use them for local diving for years. Both of us have gone to the 'dreaded' (but somehow very popular :neener: ) split fins. I did use the ScubaPro Jets for awhile but a new suit and boot and those small foot pockets were not compatible. I thought they were fine-not as efficient as Cressi splits but somewhat better at control.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Cressi had a little bit if distribution problem in the NW for a while. The manufacturer's rep was also a dive store owner. Store don't like buying from someone from a competing store so it was dissed. That store doesn't exist anymore but the feelings go on for a while. The Cressi line is one of the more respected in Europe.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

I used my cressi mask and dry snorkel for OW and it was fine. I bought it awhile ago for snorkeling and it's been doing fine for diving.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Can't speak for their fins, but I do have a Cressi Giotto computer that I love. Been going strong for almost 100 dives now on its user replaceable battery. PC interface stinks though. I also have a Cressi SPG and mask that I use as a spare, they are both good. The SPG is very well made, I think. Had to get it all online, some LDS employees around here haven't even heard of the brand.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

mrtheandrew wrote:Can't speak for their fins, but I do have a Cressi Giotto computer that I love. Been going strong for almost 100 dives now on its user replaceable battery. PC interface stinks though. I also have a Cressi SPG and mask that I use as a spare, they are both good. The SPG is very well made, I think. Had to get it all online, some LDS employees around here haven't even heard of the brand.
I have over 130 on my Cressi Leonardo and it hasn't failed me. I use Sub Surface to log dives, it's much better than the Cressi software.

https://subsurface-divelog.org/

I have the same amount of dives on a Cressi Back Jac Elite BCD, no problems and don't plan on replacing it until I have to.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

bradmond wrote:
mrtheandrew wrote:Can't speak for their fins, but I do have a Cressi Giotto computer that I love. Been going strong for almost 100 dives now on its user replaceable battery. PC interface stinks though. I also have a Cressi SPG and mask that I use as a spare, they are both good. The SPG is very well made, I think. Had to get it all online, some LDS employees around here haven't even heard of the brand.
I have over 130 on my Cressi Leonardo and it hasn't failed me. I use Sub Surface to log dives, it's much better than the Cressi software.

https://subsurface-divelog.org/

I have the same amount of dives on a Cressi Back Jac Elite BCD, no problems and don't plan on replacing it until I have to.
Thanks, I'll be trying that out!