Amber/yellow colored mask lens

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
gasbreather
Just Settling In

Post by gasbreather »

Hello everyone!

I recently read that a yellow/amber mask lens is advantageous in low light conditions. I was wondering whether anyone here actually dove with one and whether the results are as good as what's claimed?
- Joe R
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I've never tried one underwater, but as a photographer I know that all color filters decrease the amount of light that passes through them. Your eyes and brain are remarkably adept at correcting for color imbalance, but nothing will make up for the absorption of red light by seawater better than a good dive light. Just buy a decent light (not the cheap Chinese crap on Ebay). Check out Dive Grear Express or Dive Right In Scuba for their offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Amber/yellow colored mask lens

Post by CaptnJack »

GearHead wrote:I've never tried one underwater, but as a photographer I know that all color filters decrease the amount of light that passes through them. Your eyes and brain are remarkably adept at correcting for color imbalance, but nothing will make up for the absorption of red light by seawater better than a good dive light. Just buy a decent light (not the cheap Chinese crap on Ebay). Check out Dive Grear Express or Dive Right In Scuba for their offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ this

Absorbing blue and green wavelengths is fine in shallow tropical waters where there is plenty of remaining light. Up here you are just going to make the whole dive darker. Since the water is taking out the red wavelengths and the mask glass takes out the blues and greens there ends up being not much left.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Amber/yellow colored mask lens

Post by fmerkel »

GearHead wrote: (not the cheap Chinese crap on Ebay). Check out Dive Grear Express or Dive Right In Scuba for their offerings.
Just to disabuse you of that thinking, all those lights DGX and DRIS sell are 'Chinese', but hopefully not cheap crap in those cases. It's a matter of sorting out the decent from the abysmal, a formidable task and often better left to those shops if you can't do it.

[OTOH.....UTD sells Ultrafire Li-on batteries, which are complete crap so they don't always know what they are doing.
http://www.utdscubadiving.com/en/produc ... attery-kit]

I agree with your take on colored masks.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.