Primary Light Recommendations

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
pogonotroph
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Primary Light Recommendations

Post by pogonotroph »

I'm looking for recommendations on a primary light. I'm currently using a DRIS 1000 lumen but would like to relegate this to my backup, and replace it with a light with longer burn time.

I've seen a lot of Dusty Lights recommended here but am not too keen on a cannister as I am skeptical their benefits outweigh the negatives of another piece of cable given the rapidly evolving LED and battery technology...Though I'd be interested to hear opinions to the contrary.

Lights I have considered so far are the Sola tech 600 or the Big Blue 3100p. Anybody care to weigh in on these or other sub ~$500 options?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Primary Light Recommendations

Post by Jeff Pack »

A can light is run by most every Tec diver, and Dusty light for the price is a great light that will carry you any direction in diving you choose to do.

With battery upgrade 5 real hours of runtime, and more light than your Dris light. When coupled with a Goodman handle, you'll never use another flashlight style light again.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 to what Jeff says. I remember when he felt like you, and now he is in the Can light camp!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I use this as a backup light been running strong for two and a half years affordable yet replaceable if something goes wrong plenty of light 3 hours of runtime

http://www.lightmalls.com/archon-dh26-l ... flashlight

http://www.lightmalls.com/archon-dh30-3 ... n-canister
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

pogonotroph wrote:I'm looking for recommendations on a primary light. I'm currently using a DRIS 1000 lumen but would like to relegate this to my backup, and replace it with a light with longer burn time.

I've seen a lot of Dusty Lights recommended here but am not too keen on a cannister as I am skeptical their benefits outweigh the negatives of another piece of cable given the rapidly evolving LED and battery technology...Though I'd be interested to hear opinions to the contrary.

Lights I have considered so far are the Sola tech 600 or the Big Blue 3100p. Anybody care to weigh in on these or other sub ~$500 options?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Dusty Light if you are on a budget. Halcyon Focus if you're not.

imo
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Gdog wrote:+1 to what Jeff says. I remember when he felt like you, and now he is in the Can light camp!
Put me in that category as well. When you put lumens vs price, I have not found a better deal or a more reliable light. And he's local so if it needs service he'll take care of it for you, and I can vouch for that.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I use a Dusty Light if my 35w HID goes out.

And as Gdog dredged up from the days of yore, I was vehemently anti big lights back then too. :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

For diving in our dark, murky waters around Puget Sound, nothing beats a 35W HID. The focused center spot penetrates farther to see under all the nooks & crannies, and the spill illuminates the surrounding area. LEDs still don't have that focus. The only drawback is that the bulbs need to be replaced after a few years. I've been using a 20W LED while dragging my heals about replacing a couple bulbs on my other lights, and really miss the HID.
The battery canister on the right side is just a handy spot to tuck the long hose. Otherwise, it disappears in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk