Coverting regulator back to Yoke before a trip

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Coverting regulator back to Yoke before a trip

Post by carlk3 »

Greetings,

Does anyone convert their regulators to yoke before warm-water trips?

Our details:

We have Aqua Lung Legend regulators. We bought them as Yoke, but we had them converted to DIN (when we bought HP tanks for local dives).
Now we planning warm-water trips to Florida and beyond. We're wondering how easy/hard it is to convert back to Yoke. (The other alternative is to buy and add-on Yoke converter, but that sticks out more, right?)

Thanks for any experiences you can share,
Carl
bradmond
Submariner

Re: Coverting regulator back to Yoke before a trip

Post by bradmond »

I did that a couple times and decided to have separate regs for warm and cold. Didn't feel comfortable taking the reg apart to switch back and forth every time. Can't be good for them.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I use a converter and it works great. Never had an issue with it sticking out too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I kept my original SP mk25 in yoke format for traveling to warmer places. I tend to prefer carrying my single Alu 80s higher in my cambands for best trim, so like keeping my first stage low profile.
I did convert another first stage from yoke to DIN, and found that the conversion is a lot more expensive than just buying an adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I convert every time. It's really not a big deal....if you have a couple special tools, the yolk wrench being the hardest one. Doesn't hurt anything if you aren't ham handed with tools and devices. It's basically a bolt with some O-ring seals.
I do have an adapter. The only use it's gotten is on loan.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Get the adapter. It works great. Inexpensive, saves the hassle of either a separate set of regs or converting back and forth. I take mine on every trip, and it gets used either by me or someone else on the boat. Should be a part of your kit if you travel and dive.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

If you can find one the Poseidon din to yoke adapters have a low profile and they do not cause the first stage to stick out too far.

Mike
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Thanks that the great discussion of the issues! We bought adapters.