Scuba fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Scuba fins

Post by Duckdiver »

Hi all and good morning,I'm buying new fins, not sure if I should get the Scuba Pro Seawing Nova's,or Gorrila fins. I know the Gorillas are the same design,just a stiffer version. I dive the ocean quite a bit and the sound. I was also looking at the Hollis f1 fins. Anybody dive these 3 fins and have suggestions? Tks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Scuba fins

Post by Gdog »

While I havent dove the Gorillas or the Novas, I can tell you that many people including myself both dive and swear by the Hollis F1 fins. They are a stiff, strong fin, and work great. Depending on what type of fin you are diving now, they may take a bit to get used to. They can deliver a lot of power in your kick.
Good luck!
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

I'm currently using the scuba Pro twin jet fins,really suck with any kind of current. Plus they don't have a bungee strap,only clip on. OK cool thanks,I will see if I can demo both types and see what I like.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

A lot will depend on your finning technique - split fins and Novas are meant to be used with a flutter kick. The frogkick is a better kick to use in the Sound, and stiffer paddle fin is better for that, which is one of the reasons F1s are so popular around here.

I don't know anyone with the Novas/Gorillas, but plenty of people have the F1s (including myself) and I am sure you could borrow a pair fairly easily.

It can take some time to get used to using a paddle fin if you've been using split fins, they feel super heavy and clunky at first. Give whatever you try as many dives as possible, your opinion can change pretty dramatically.

Happy testing!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Thanks for the advise :)

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

+1 on the Hollis F1 fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 on Pens advice too
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Thanks for pointing out the go to fin guys,saved me time and money. Now I need to decide between the F1 or F1Lt. Sounds like the only difference is weight. See you guys soon,happy diving.

GearHead
Submariner

Scuba fins

Post by GearHead »

For PNW diving, typically in a drysuit (or heavy wetsuit), the heavier F1 fins can help with trim. For travel to warmer places, the lighter fins would work well. I know several people who have switched to the Hollis F1s, and they all love them and wish they had switched sooner.
I've never gotten around to trying F1s myself, but switched to blade fins after about nine months of using a couple different split and hinge style fins. My first blades were the Mares Excel+. They initially felt like big pieces of plywood on my feet. Then as my legs adapted and got stronger, I could finally do a decent frog kick, a better helicopter turn, and started learning the back kick. I've never gone back to splits.
My experience with the Mares X-Streams, which are a hinge style, suggests that the Seawing fins would be equally problematic at performing anything other than a flutter kick.
Having a fuller repertoire of kick styles is great for all kinds of diving, and shouldn't be considered just for 'tech' diving. One can easily appreciate being able to maneuver in smaller spaces when simply poking around a rock pile or swimming through a set of pilings. We have plenty of those around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Thanks that's a good point because I dive a dry suit. And so far only know the flutter kick. I kinda like the batman F1 Hollis,hopefully those would workout for me. Really like the design. Thanks for all the input,I like buying quality stuff that look good,and is durable. The stainless steel and fine tuning adjustment with the spring straps is a plus.

Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

I will have to call Aquatic Sports in Portland to see if they carry them,and others in the area. I'm in Lane County now visiting family,don't think Eugene Skin Divers carry that brand,I'll check though. Thanks again for all the input,really helps.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Spring straps are dreamy, especially in cold water with thick gloves.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Oh my god,I struggle so much getting my twin jets on because the strap is click on style. It's actually become like my second workout of the day,such a struggle,even worse when I end the dive because of cold numb fingers lol.

Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

OK,is Hollis more of an online brand? Been calling around and nobody seems to carry them in the Portland area.

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Duckdiver wrote:OK,is Hollis more of an online brand? Been calling around and nobody seems to carry them in the Portland area.

Interesting. Most Dive shops in the Seattle area carry them. What size are you looking for? I have an xxl size you can demo if you want..
Also, Jeff at Aquatic Sports can get them for you Im sure
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

I talked to Jeff today from Aquatic,he said he doesn't carry them but had a pair in the back room. Not sure how that all works but I will stop in and check em out. My twin jets are size medium,xxl might be a bit big :),I think anyway. Thank you so much for the offer and help. Going home to Portland tomorrow so I will do some more calling around. Any recommendations for dive shops in the Seattle area,Tacoma ,that carry them? Tks again

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I think underwater sports and silent world in Bellevue both have them :)

Enjoy! I love mine!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

I have the Novas, as do most of the people I dive with. It started with one of us, then another would try them, then another, etc. and we were all hooked. I can frog kick, make turns, even put it in reverse in my Novas. One of my buddies has both the regular and Gorilla versions; he uses the Gorillas on dives where he knows he'll be dealing with current. If you're near Eugene Skin Divers, they'll be able to hook you up with the Novas, and could probably order the Hollis and save you tax if you're a Washingtonian. Best dive shop ever, by the way. They used to stock the F1s, and might even have a pair left...
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Duckdiver »

Thanks Scubajess,and Furnari,yea I bought all my gear from ESD,they rock,gonna stop in their tomorrow on my way through town to buy a new mask. I'll ask about the find while I'm their.

jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

I use the standard Scubapro Jet fins with spring straps. Stiff, heavy, indestructible, and best of all, cheap and available everywhere used. I think my pair was like $40 with spring straps.