What is you favorite recreational tank size

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

What is you favorite recreational tank size

Post by JJHACK »

I suppose this depends somewhat on the physical capability of the person as well. I personally have taken a Liking to a HP100 filled to 3000psi, That's about 90cf if I remember.

My wife would struggle with this size tank. She still likes the steel LP 80's but that makes us a bit mismatched when we dive together. Although I often use one tank to about 1.8 of hers. In many cases, we are stuck with what we can rent because we do not own any tanks now. However, where we live it is something to consider. Would be nice to dive without the travel to rent them every time out.
The best things in life are not things
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: What is you favorite recreational tank size

Post by Grateful Diver »

I don't really have a favorite size, it depends on the circumstances of the dive. I own HP130's, HP119's, LP95's, and HP100's. Overall I prefer the 100's, as they're relatively small and lightweight. However, they're often not enough gas unless I'm diving sidemount ... in which case I'm carrying two of them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

When I dive singles, I dive an HP 100 and my wife dives an HP 80. Turns out her air consumption is better than mine, so much so that our pressure gauges read the same. By the time I suck my HP 100 down to 2000 psi, he HP 80 will be nearly 2000 psi as well. But again, that was with single tanks.
I've since switched to double HP 100's (Worthington) with back plate and wing. With all my weight on my back and not on my waist, I can finally get horizontally trimmed.
BTW, an HP100 filled to 3,000psi yields 87cu.ft. of gas (100 / 3442 x 3000).
Cheers
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

when I dove OC, I used faber lp95s boosted to around a 110-115 I think. But that would require your own compressor
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

My 119 ... Never lets me down
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I love my HP 117, I can usually get anywhere from 60-90 min on it. My longest was 115 min on a shallow (PSL) Lumpy Dive at Redondo.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I'm partial to hp119. Hp130 feels like a dump truck on my back, and hp100 isn't enough air.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Steel HP 100 for casual diving.

HP 130 if things could go sideways.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I have HP 119's, HP 100's, and LP 95's. The 100's are hands down my favorites, as singles and doubles. I have dove 130's and intensely disliked them.

Air consumption changes over time with practice, so I'd be wary of basing tank size off of much until you both get more practice in cold water. Try a bunch of different tanks as many times as possible and see what works. Then don't be surprised if it changes! Even with the 95 it takes a long, deep dive before I've used even close to a full tank, but that certainly wasn't always the case. And more air is way better than not enough. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Steel 100, but I don't want it filled to only 3000#. I want the air left over afterwards.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I love my HP 119's, because of how they trim out, and the extra gas cushion. I'm almost always coming back with 1,000 to 1,500 psi after an hour dive, and if I go deeper or work harder the extra gas is wonderful.

That said, I also own a couple HP 100's and they are a great tank as well!

When I go North or to the coast where I might be doing some dives where I want to maximize my time between 100 and 130 fsw I bum my buddies 130's - a delightful tank! That and a slung 40 if desired and I have all the gas I need for pretty much any recreational dive in the sound.

Beyond that there are double's, side mount, and ....the ...dark side. But i hear they have cookies!! :taco:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

My Faber FX117s for the simple shallow dives. They're the lightest of the 119 lass tanks. For a little deeper, twin LP 72s - low profile, perfect trim and full redundancy. These tanks cover 90% of all the local dives that I do. Of course Alu 80s are the thing for warm water diving, either single or twin sidemount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

60' and shallower - such as goofing around at the junkyard - hp80
something like the i-beams (80-100ish) or am video'ing something, or diving with an unknown or new to me buddy then HP100, which i guess is really my go to.
Deeper than 100, or 80-100 for any length of time with the camera or for long long dives at any depth... well... two wee tanks plus bailout AKA CCR AKA dark side AKA we have cookies ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"