Regulator Thoughts?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Shaun_Darragh
Just Settling In

Regulator Thoughts?

Post by Shaun_Darragh »

Hi Folks,

I inherited my father in law's Oceanic Alpha 7 regulator set when I started diving last year.

A year and lots of dives later I'm looking to upgrade and may as well do it before I need the old reg serviced so....I'm looking for opinions.

I was certified 14 months ago and have completed 35-40 dives since then and have continued with training up to Rescue Diver. About 1/2 of my dives have been in the sound the other half in Maui or Roatan. I expect the cold/warm ratio to be pretty common.

I'm looking at the Atomic B2 or the Scubapro MK25/S620.

Any thoughts pro/con for either?

Also - din or yoke? My faber tanks are ok either way. Is there an argument against going din and using a yoke adapter on vacation?

Thanks for any thoughts!
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Regulator Thoughts?

Post by GearHead »

I've seen Scubapro regulators carried world wide - got my first set (Mk25/S600) in Thailand. Atomic regs are fine as well, but seem even more pricey. Performance wise they are quite comparable. I still use my original set, in yoke configuration, for recreational diving overseas. Locally I use a more technically compatible rig with DIN fittings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I guess I wonder why you think you need to upgrade? What is the Oceanic not doing for you?

Certainly nothing wrong with SP or Atomic besides a profound emptying of the wallet. I dive a SP MK14 +M109 but it's like 15+ years old. But I've dove Mares MR12, Oceanic (various), Sherwood, Aqualung, and they can all work just fine. I sold to an old/basic Aqualung SE2 to another diver (instructor) and he was shocked to find it breathed better than his SP MK25/S600, probably indicating he was due for some service.

DIN is a more solid connection. Yoke is more universal if you are traveling. You can convert back and forth but some people don't like that hassle. I have a DIN > Yoke converter and the only use it has ever seen is being borrowed for that purpose.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hmm... I think fmerkel has asked a valid question. What are the reasons you wish to upgrade? These questions can help you decide which way to go.
Shaun_Darragh
Just Settling In

Post by Shaun_Darragh »

Why do I want to upgrade?

The Oceanic 7 regulator has served me reasonably well over the last year, although it was absolutely not happy last December when it froze freeflowing open. Once it warmed up in the water at Redondo it did fine. I've had some issues with the console that came with it, but I believe I have resolved those.

It could easily be my inexperience talking, but it feels like it breathes a bit harshly and I don't know how it's been cared for in the past (I know it's been serviced and have had it serviced myself last year).

I guess the bottom line is that I'm looking for a regulator set that I can fully trust because I know where it's been and what it's done and I'm looking for a solid piece of gear that can hopefully last many years.

Even though it's unlikely that I will become the diver that many of you are, I would like to be confident in the gear that I am using and am not averse to spending what reasonably it takes to make that happen.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Makes sense to me. Of the two you mentioned, the scuba pro mk25 are widely used in every place I have dived. Parts would be most available as well. They seem to be a workhorse reg, tho I've never dove them. That would be my choice. Then you could grow into your diving with a reg set that you know and feel confident in. There are several great regs out there, but of the two you mentioned, the scuba pro would be my choice. Just my 2 psi...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

its tough to beat a SP mk25/S600 combination, thats prime time there. But a prime time price too.

Most experienced divers go din, and carry a din to yoke adapter if needed.

I carry nothing but SP stuff on my bail outs.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Also agree with Jeff. Most of us use din, and I take a yoke adapter with me when I travel.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

To continue playing devil's advocate, how do you know it breathes harshly? Have you compared it to anything else?

FWIW the experience on the diver end of the reg is largely determined by the 2nd stage. The 1st stage has to be in some poor shape to influence actual breathing experience. If you have a downstream 2nd, just upgrading to a balanced 2nd, or better downstream could make a difference.

In terms of freezing....well, that depends a lot of a lot of things, including you. I personally know 2 people that had their SP MK25/S600 freeze on them at ~100 feet in Cove 2. That's a bit disturbing. but it can happen. If you really want to avoid true freezing, not just free flow, you might consider a top end diaphragm reg, like the MK17, HOG, or the new Deep6. The reports on the Deep6 have been excellent. Piston regs in cold water are a little more prone to freezing.
Note - ANY top end reg can go wildly free flow under some circumstances. They are designed to put out LOTS of air and once they start it can take some specific steps to stop them.

Once you buy a reg, use it, then it comes to service time they kind of all end up in the same 'used' category. Not quite like used cars, but....there you go. They are chunks of metal, with O-rings, seats, and some fiddly little parts. Clean the metal, replace the O-rings, seats, and parts that need it and you are good to go again.

I'm NOT trying to talk you out of spending your money if you want to, and it sounds like you really want to. If so, have at it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Shaun_Darragh
Just Settling In

Post by Shaun_Darragh »

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone - I will ponder a bit more and keep reading reviews and anything I can find on the subject.

I appreciate the thoughts also on cost/value. While I am not specifically looking to spend money, I am also not ever going to knowingly skimp on something vital like this.

I'm sure I could get by on all season radials heading to the ski hill every weekend as well, but I strongly prefer the best snow tires I can get even though that means spending a bit more.

Perhaps if I had more experience or specific knowledge I would be willing to mix and match gear but I lack that experience and the time necessary to gain it. I would prefer to simply start with the best that I can afford and move on to other matters.

Again - I appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great thought process, I agree with you. Especially the part about the snow tires........tho my viewpoint may be a bit skewed.....lol
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

On the snow tires you don't want to skimp, I need to sell as many as I can. Difference is that snow tires wear out.
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

Sounds like the Alpha is due for a service or a tune-up adjustment, it shouldn't breathe harshly. If it's been less than the mfg's recommended service time and not too many dives, it might just need the 2nd stage opened and cleaned with soapy water, including the vents.

In my experience, when getting a regulator serviced, the 2nd stage regs often need a fine tune adjustment relatively soon after the overhaul because the seat(s) have then taken a set.

There are many divers on the board that choose to dive older regulators (15+ years older) because they can still be trusted for their life-support functions and adjusted to breathe very well. Thus, the questioning about why you would like to upgrade, as your reg may likely be serviced to breathe very nicely. But I get it, a person may not want to pay the cost to service a reg set, rather use that to upgrade.

You can get overwhelmed with all the options out there. If your choices are Atomic or ScubaPro, then either the B2 or MK25 should serve you equally well. Atomic's M1 and ScubPro's Mk17 may offer better freeze prevention. If going with a scubapro balanced 2nd, I'd opt for the metal barrel for better cold water performance. Note: all first stages are "balanced" today, the 2nd stages and octos are either unbalanced or balanced. Properly tuned unbalanced 2nds can perform very well. All my wife's and I's 2nds are unbalanced.

There are so many things that can cause a free-flow, but I suspect in your case it was not due to freezing conditions even through you may have seen frost/ice inside your reg.

I dive a ScubaPro Mk16 (upgraded to essentially Mk17 internals), and really like it. If I dove an Atomic, I would probably say I really liked it too.

DIN vs. Yoke: either will work. If you want older HP steel tanks (3500psi) and buying used, DIN is the only option as the tanks are incompatible with Yoke. New HP steels are 3442psi and are often pro/din valves and will do either. If diving aluminum and renting, then probably Yoke. DIN is often preferred with 3442 and 3500 because you won't get the possibility of the o-ring extruding and breaking and losing gas (rare). With current dives, you can often only do 1 dive on an exchange so people go with the larger HP tanks and get more bottom time, thus DIN. I'd say yoke if you're not going to dive much, and DIN if you forsee yourself wanting long bottom times and doing more current/advanced dives.

No gear should be trusted 100%, even if you have the newest and the best.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i have seen many Regs freeze up when we winter dive... on super cold days , below 30 deg .. i dont turn my air on until we are all in the water and ready to drop..
I dive vintage Regs .. Us diver conshelfs .. bullet proof since the day i bought them in 2001 .. I would try diving someone else's regs and see how they breath.. im not a fan of Balanced regs , but thats just my dive preferences
Happy diving !!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

DIN or not to DIN.
1. I switched all my stuff to DIN, would not go back.
2. As of two years ago, Fantasy Island on Roatán did not have DIN valves so I used an adapter.
3. This year, Anthony's on Roatán does carry DIN valves. Just to say DIN might becoming more available.
4. If they had not had DIN, I would have brought two DIN valves with me and have them put on the tanks I would be using. I would also bring an adapter for the tank valve so that they could fill it with Yoke fittings. That's how much I prefer DIN.
Cheers
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

Since you already have Faber tanks with Pro/Din valves, go DIN.

If diving a yoke for a trip, I'd prefer to remove the DIN from the 1st stage and put a yoke on. While using an adapter is fine, you might find yourself hitting your head on the 1st stage. I'd choose a 1st stage where I could make the swap myself and didn't need to buy a $50 proprietary tool to do the conversion, but you have to get the torque right.
Shaun_Darragh
Just Settling In

Post by Shaun_Darragh »

Again thanks everyone!

I went with a MK25 EVO / S620ti in DIN configuration. I'm very much looking foard to getting it in the water!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great choice. It will work well for you for a long time.