BCD storage, no air, some air? full?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

BCD storage, no air, some air? full?

Post by JJHACK »

Just curious, I've never considered this before with some average quality BCD's I've owned. However, since spending the money on this higher end Zeagle Ranger model, I want to be sure it's stored properly whether a week, over night, or a maybe even a month.

Should it be stored as empty as possible or with some inflation?
The best things in life are not things
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: BCD storage, no air, some air? full?

Post by fmerkel »

Good rinsing is probably more critical than state of inflation. FWIW my wife has a Zeagle, used extensively for NW diving for ~5 years. Then retired to tropical use for the next 10 years so it gets used well for 1-2 weeks every year or 2. Inside is always fresh water rinsed. At the end of use is it disinfected, rinsed well, emptied as much as possible over a couple days, then collapsed but not 'vacuumed flat'. It's faded on the outside, showing it's age, but never had a leak.
Our BP&W are treated in a similar fashion, both over 10 years old. I have a Dive Rite that has a bladder like the Zeagle.

One of the worst things you can do is let salt accumulate on the inside.
The inflator is generally more of a problem than the BC itself. I don't know if they changed it but the original Zeagle inflator (years ago) sucked, and the replacement was not much better.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

+1 for good rinsing. I typically give mine a super internal rinsing at the end of a week of diving (or if I know I've let sea water inside it). For storage I thoroughly drain it, squeeze the air out, and don't worry.

I also agree with fmerkel regarding the inflator valves, as I have had a couple of these go bad. They're cheap and easy to replace; I've torn them apart and repaired them but it isn't worth the effort. For $17 you can get a brand new one, and that's cheap safety.

Good question!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Same inflator I've gone to. Easy to overhaul with the special tool. I always carry a spare in my kit.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.