Dive slippers for full-foot fins?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

Dive slippers for full-foot fins?

Post by djmcmath »

Question: Let's say you're diving in some foreign place, and will be wearing a pair of (probably) ill-fitting rental fins, the full-footed kind. How do you prevent blisters and chafing on your feet after 3 or 4 days of diving?

Background: I'm visiting a friend in Malawi in a month or so, and am expending my entire checked luggage allowance bringing "American" stuff that he and his family can't get locally. But while I'm in Africa, I'll be stopping off in Zanzibar for some diving of opportunity. Unfortunately, I'll just have my carry on with essential dive gear (mask, computer, camera, etc.). Big things like fins just don't make the weight allowance.

I've seen "dive slippers," basically 3mm booties that promise to help, but I haven't talked to any divers who've done the full-foot fin thing with any success.

Thoughts from the experts here?

Thanks in advance,
Dan :)
60south
Pelagic

Re: Dive slippers for full-foot fins?

Post by 60south »

This is an excellent question. I used rental full-foot fins in Vanuatu and my feet were shredded within a day.

I haven't tried it, but if you can find thin, snug neoprene socks, maybe 1mm, that's what I'd suggest.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

yea, I'd go thin neoprene sock
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

Post by djmcmath »

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I checked with Sound Dive Center, tried on a couple of pairs, and walked out with a $25 anti-blister solution to this problem. They carry a thin (maybe 2mm) neoprene fin-sock, which should be just the thing. Yay!