probably a dumb question...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

probably a dumb question...

Post by Sounder »

If I wanted to get a tank "hydroed," do I go through my dive shop or is there an independent agency that does it? How much does it cost and how long are my tanks away?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Take them to your LDS, or Ive also heard that some fire extinguisher places will do them ..also. turn around is about a week.. BTW no such thing as a dump question. :bounce:
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

"No such thing as a dumb question," huh? You obviously work with a higher caliber of people than I do. :crybaby:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks guys - it's good to know. I figured that the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. On the other hand, I do work with some stupid people... sometimes they impress me. Thanks for letting the new guy ask "new guy questions."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Don't be shy- I'm as new, or newer, than you, and I ask these folks stupid questions all the time! They don't seem to mind.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Nailer99 wrote:Don't be shy- I'm as new, or newer, than you, and I ask these folks stupid questions all the time! They don't seem to mind.
Actuly I for one like to help newer divers get started.

this was done for me when I first started and this is how My Diving Mentor Expects me to pay him back.

Cost wise on the hydro I am way out on the Oregon Coast not to many options here and I have one out being done it is going to cost my $45.oo
not a bad price for the peice of mind if you ask me
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I am a firm believer in that there are no dumb questions. When it comes to diving we can all share our knowledge and experiences to help make better divers of us all.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re: probably a dumb question...

Post by Diver_Dave »

Never a dumb question when it comes to diving...Cheers
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Asking an important question like that because you haven't learned the answer yet isn't dumb. It's learning and it's a Very Good Thing (TM).
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

In certain tropical areas, you definitely want to go straight to the correct hydro tester themselves, if you can even find one.

But from what I can tell, the PNW local dive shop environment is highly professional, attentive and scrupulous.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Holy waking up a 14 year old thread, batman...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
OldManDiving
Just Settling In

Post by OldManDiving »

I'm up north and it ran me 55 per tank. The tanks are in good condition but 28 years old. not sure what the going rate is but I like supporting the local shop so not a big deal to me.
OldManDiving
Just Settling In

Post by OldManDiving »

guess I should had read the ^ post above^ first.14 YO post Bwahahahha!👀
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Sounds like a good deal to me. A small price to pay for certified safety...and not having old cylinders condemned after 10 seconds of visual "inspection" just because they're old (we've seen it happen in other places--confirmed by second and third opinions by other professionals)
OldManDiving
Just Settling In

Post by OldManDiving »

I bet. By looks my tanks look fairly new as most of my dives err performed on rental tanks provided by work. The tanks only had around 20 dives a piece no them when I put them in storage. As mentioned, it is a small price for certified safety!