Staying warm on a budget

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

Staying warm on a budget

Post by djmcmath »

As the water cools, I'm re-examining my drysuit undergarment setup. Right now, I'm wearing a pair of sweat pants and a thermal fleece. Yesterday's dives were shockingly cold. I borrowed someone else's undergarment -- just a thin set of coveralls, basically -- for the second dive, and I was much happier and more comfortable. Still cold, but less cold, I'd say. So I clearly need a proper thermal undergarment.

Unfortunately, my budget for new dive gear is approximately $0 for the next few months, so blowing $400 on a decent set of thermals is out of the question. But I really want to keep diving, and I don't really want to freeze to death.

So who's running a low cost thermal undergarment setup? Is anyone just diving with sweaters and coats and making it work well enough? Tips and tricks? Thanks in advance.

Dan
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Staying warm on a budget

Post by Penopolypants »

What type of drysuit do you have? Shell, neoprene, compressed neoprene?

And what size are you?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

Post by djmcmath »

It's a shell suit.

I'm 5'9, 165lbs, without enough "natural insulation" to really ward off the cold.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Oof. Yeah, you're going to need a true undergarment eventually.

I have a fairly thin USIA exotherm that might fit you that you can borrow (I think, I'll have to do some digging). That and your fleece layers might get you by for a while until you can save up for something better. Do you have any merino wool base layers? They're spendy, unfortunately, if you don't have them already, but they're wonderful.

A Weezle Extreme + is my go-to favorite undergarment, and you can find them used on various boards and ebay for $200 or so, or John Rawlings here is a dealer if you want to go new.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

A brand new, fluffy, dry suit undergarment is wonderful to use, but not absolutely necessary. Try polar fleece and under armor type lycra/synthetic base layers. Several might be needed to create the loft/air barrier between your skin and the suit that is needed to keep you warm(er). Try various combinations until you find a winner. You might even be able to find them on the cheap at thrift shops, goodwill, or the like.

Stay away from cotton! This includes jeans, sweats, and flannel. When (not if) you get some leakage into the suit, wet cotton has zero insulating properties, and will suck any warmth right out of you. Synthetics that have a wicking quality are ideal. Wool is okay, but might be more labor intensive to maintain/clean.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

... and then start saving for a Weezle.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

mpenders wrote:... and then start saving for a Weezle.
Right? :)

Merino wool is machine washable. You can also technically machine dry it as well, but like most performance fabrics, it's best to line dry it. So it's not any worse than anything else in terms of work.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I have a Diving Concepts onepiece zip up undergarment that I only used a few times and have not touched in years. It's yours if you want it. It should fit you just fine.
Dave
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have owned the Typhoon 200g Thermal Scuba Drysuit Undergarment now for 1.5 years its thick and warm ... and its easy on the wallet.. the 200g is really too thick... If i bought another one id buy the 100g ..
do a google search , and look on Ebay ... very nice Undergarment

ebay Has the 100g for 99.00
the 200g runs 129.00
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I have an old Weezle Extreme undie I will give you for your budgeted $0 ... you just have to make your way to Federal Way to pick it up. It's well-worn and patched, but better than what you're using ... and should give you plenty of thermal protection for a winter, at least.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

Post by djmcmath »

Thanks for the replies, all. Sorry for the delayed response; this week has been somewhere between "hectic" and "a bunch of monkeys f---in' a football."

PM's sent, and thank you for the ideas and the offers.

Dan
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Go for the Weezle, they are excellent. This is from someone that has been wearing the 4thElement Arctic for years.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.