Travel Bag

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Travel Bag

Post by Snidely »

All-

We have a trip to Mexico in a month for my wife's birthday :supz: :partydance: .

We are wanting to do some diving down there (of course) and want to take some of our own gear. (Dive computer, Fins?, Reg's, Mask, boots)

Looking for recommendations on a good light travel suitcase/bag where we can get cloths for the trip in it too?

Any help would be great thanks! :angelblue:

Snidely
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Travel Bag

Post by Gdog »

I use this bag from Costco....
https://m.costco.com/High-Sierra-30%22- ... 63588.html
Works well, doesn't scream dive gear.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

I highly suggest that you carry on expensive items like regs and computers. If your luggage is lost or delayed then you can still dive. On my last trip, I carried on my back plate/wing, fins, regs, mask, and computer.

Sent using Tapatalk
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I've used this bag or something like it from Costco.
https://www.costco.com/Samsonite-ExoFra ... 71063.html

For me the main thing has been a hard shell case, but as light as possible because I want to use my weight allowance on dive gear and not an 11 pound suitcase.

Toughness, and weight are the main points, and as was mentioned above, it doesn't scream dive gear.

I also carry on regs, perscription mask, computers... actually as much as I can. Some airlines weigh carry-ons - be aware, and ready to pay the excess baggage fees, particularly if you're doing a "puddle jumper" like the Caribbean inter island small airlines.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Gdog -
I use this bag from Costco....
https://m.costco.com/High-Sierra-30%22- ... 63588.html
Works well, doesn't scream dive gear.
I am looking for a new bag, have worn out a couple. Is this one durable? Wheels strong? I usually am pushing the 50 lb limit. Need to pack my reg as I carry all my camera gear.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Its strong enough I guess. Been on two international trips with it. Plus its cheap enough that if a wheel or something gets broken its only 40 bucks for a new one. I liked it well enough I ended up with two. Its nothing fancy. I usually push the 50 lb limit with it. Im taking it to the Phillipines this february.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I''ve had the same costco bag as Gdog for the past 8 years - about 25 dive trips. It looks a bit beat up but the zippers, wheels, handle and material are in good shape and I have no plans on replacing it anytime soon.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thank every one for the replies.
I was thinking it would be best to carry on the computer and regs but wasn't sure. (Computer I defiantly was going to carry on).

GDog -
How much gear and clothes can you fit in that bag?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I take my travel bcd, fins, mask, light, wetsuit, a few pairs of shorts, and a few tshirts and underwear. I carry on my regs and camera. I mean..what else does a guy need?!
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Gdog wrote:I take my travel bcd, fins, mask, light, wetsuit, a few pairs of shorts, and a few tshirts and underwear. I carry on my regs and camera. I mean..what else does a guy need?!
Hahaha too true.

This i could fit 2 sets of: fins, mask, lights, boots towels and a few other misc. things?

I want to try to check only 2 bags when we go on the trip. 1 for dive gear and 1 for clothes.

Thanks
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Are you renting bcd? Because that's what takes the most room.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I’ve been using Victorinox for years and they have a great warranty, but even so it’s a major hassle to get them fixed at times. Thus, I’ll be switching to Costco soon too!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Snidely wrote:
Gdog wrote:I take my travel bcd, fins, mask, light, wetsuit, a few pairs of shorts, and a few tshirts and underwear. I carry on my regs and camera. I mean..what else does a guy need?!
Hahaha too true.

This i could fit 2 sets of: fins, mask, lights, boots towels and a few other misc. things?

I want to try to check only 2 bags when we go on the trip. 1 for dive gear and 1 for clothes.

Thanks
I am able to fit my bcd, wetsuit, fins, mask, light, shorts and tshirts, all in the one bag. I hate taking 2 checked bags, and while its a bit minimalistic, it works for me. I just plan on laundering the tshirts and shorts halfway thru the trip. I carryon my regs, camera housing, laptop, ect, in a backpack as my personal item. I have my camera travel case as my carryon.
So if you are not taking a bcd, the items you mentioned would fit easily.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Gdog wrote:Are you renting bcd? Because that's what takes the most room.
Yeah we will rent BCD's. We don't have travel ones since we don't travel much.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Gdog wrote:
Snidely wrote:
Hahaha too true.

Thanks
I am able to fit my bcd, wetsuit, fins, mask, light, shorts and tshirts, all in the one bag. I hate taking 2 checked bags, and while its a bit minimalistic, it works for me. I just plan on laundering the tshirts and shorts halfway thru the trip. I carryon my regs, camera housing, laptop, ect, in a backpack as my personal item. I have my camera travel case as my carryon.
So if you are not taking a bcd, the items you mentioned would fit easily.
Thanks for the help! I hate taking two checked bags as well. At least this way its one checked for me and one checked for my wife makes it a little easier.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I was in the Costco here in Lacey today and they were out of those bags it might be worth a quick trip to Costco to see if they still have them where you're located
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Here's what mine looks like. The other one is Grey and green.
IMG_20171117_144739.jpg
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

I went ahead and ordered one of costco.com.

I'll let you know how it works for my trip.

Thanks for the help!

Alex